I know it's not about getting a gold medal or anything....

Old January 26th 07, 12:36 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Sarah Vaughan

Default I know it's not about getting a gold medal or anything....

Sue wrote:
"cjra" wrote in message
oups.com...
so why does it bug me so much when people disparage, or at least
dismiss my efforts?

I would like to know why women who breastfeed need to feel like they are
doing the most heroic thing on earth? Why do you need your efforts
acknowledged? All you are doing is feeding a baby. It has to be fed one way
or the other.

Maybe I have this wrong, but I don't think cjra was objecting to people
not acknowledging her efforts or not telling her she's doing the most
heroic thing on earth. I thought her problem was with people assuming
that she didn't have any problems with it when, in fact, she did, and it
took a lot of perseverance and determination for her to get
breastfeeding working.

I can understand that. When you've put a lot of effort into overcoming
difficulties in order to do something, it *is* annoying to have someone
assume that you had an easy time doing it without making the slightest
effort to find out what really went on. Doesn't matter whether the
activity in question is breastfeeding, hillwalking or learning Japanese.
If someone doesn't want to hear the details of what kind of problems
somebody else had or didn't have when they were trying to do X, then,
fair enough, they don't have to - but in that case they shouldn't just
assume that no such problems existed.

All the best,

Sarah
--
http://www.goodenoughmummy.typepad.com

"That which can be destroyed by the truth, should be" - P. C. Hodgell

Old January 26th 07, 04:07 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
CJRA

On Jan 25, 5:36 pm, Sarah Vaughan wrote:
Sue wrote:
"cjra" wrote in message
roups.com...
so why does it bug me so much when people disparage, or at least
dismiss my efforts?

I would like to know why women who breastfeed need to feel like they are
doing the most heroic thing on earth? Why do you need your efforts
acknowledged? All you are doing is feeding a baby. It has to be fed one way
or the other.

Maybe I have this wrong, but I don't think cjra was objecting to people
not acknowledging her efforts or not telling her she's doing the most
heroic thing on earth. I thought her problem was with people assuming
that she didn't have any problems with it when, in fact, she did, and it
took a lot of perseverance and determination for her to get
breastfeeding working.

You have it right.