Can young kids go in the front seat if you are out of space in the back?

Old May 23rd 07, 08:35 AM posted to misc.kids
Mary Ann

Default Can young kids go in the front seat if you are out of space in the back?

On 21 May, 19:28, DeanB wrote:
If you have 3 kids (imagine 2x4 year olds, 1x1 year old), can you put
one of the 4-year-olds in the front seat (in a proper seat), and the
other two in the back? Does anyone have a link to somewhere where this
kind of stuff is properly spelled out?

I'd also consider 3 in the back, with the middle one using the regular
lap seat belt, but I'd be concerned about her getting crushed between
the other two seats on a side impact.

Thanks indeed for any advice. Don't worry I'm not about to do any of
these things unless it turns out is legally acceptable and safe.

Thanks!

DeanB

Given those two options my gut feeling would be that the child would
be safer in front (in a high back booster with the air bag disabled
and the seat as far back as possible), than in the back with just a
lap belt. If this is legal I would do that.

Isn't a child safer in a proper child seat ANYWHERE in the car rather
than in the safer position but not suitably restrained?

Mary Ann