What type of shoes does your infant wear?

Old December 13th 04, 04:59 AM
Carol Ann

Default What type of shoes does your infant wear?

Morgan has Robeez, Adidas, Buster Brown, Darling and a few others.

I LOVE the Robeez. I am however, needing to find her some more shoes. I
was thinking about First Walkers in Leather by Darling (they have a great
special buy 1 get 1 free...use discount coupon 2for1nut).

Do you recommend the kind of shoes which cover the ankle when a child is
first beginning to walk?

Any recommendations on the most comfortable shoes? Morgan doesn't seem to
have much of an ankle so I've sold some of the shoes she had that pushed
into her ankle.

TIA!

Carol Ann
www.lowcarblosers.com ~ Home of the Monthly Weightloss Challenge!!
175/170/125
http://tinyurl.com/3rekm Pics of Morgan

Old December 13th 04, 05:44 AM
Emily

The advice we got was that new walkers should be shoeless
if possible, and to only use shoes outside. The pre-walking
shoes DS had were only there to keep his socks on Otherwise,
he's had mostly Stride-Rite.

Emily
Mom to Toby, 2.5yo
Old December 13th 04, 06:13 AM
Jenrose

Do you recommend the kind of shoes which cover the ankle when a child is
first beginning to walk?

I don't buy shoes at all until the child is walking enough to need foot
protection outside.

Any recommendations on the most comfortable shoes? Morgan doesn't seem to
have much of an ankle so I've sold some of the shoes she had that pushed
into her ankle.

You can check any shoes.... they should be soft enough that you can fold
them in half from toe to heel without effort, and no, they don't need to
come up to the ankle. Anything with stiff leather at the ankle or sole is
not appropriate for developing feet. Barefoot is idea anyplace it's safe
enough and warm enough. "Dressy" shoes gotten for the sake of looks without
consideration for foot development are a no-no and should not be used,
especially in the first two years, but really until the child is old enough
to actually be responsible for choosing her own footwear.

Once my daughter was about 2 1/2, her "dressy" shoes were always Buster
Brown leather mary janes until she outgrew the style.

Jenrose

Old December 13th 04, 11:05 AM
Chookie

In article ok9vd.561942$D%.204089@attbi_s51,
"Carol Ann" wrote:

Do you recommend the kind of shoes which cover the ankle when a child is
first beginning to walk?

Here, it's recommended that children learning to walk NOT wear shoes. It's
easier to learn to walk barefoot, and apparently the foot develops better.

--
Chookie -- Sydney, Australia

"Life is like a cigarette -- smoke it to the butt." -- Harvie Krumpet
Old December 13th 04, 01:09 PM
Ericka Kammerer

Carol Ann wrote:

Morgan has Robeez, Adidas, Buster Brown, Darling and a few others.

I LOVE the Robeez. I am however, needing to find her some more shoes.
I was thinking about First Walkers in Leather by Darling (they have a
great special buy 1 get 1 free...use discount coupon 2for1nut).

I would stay in something like Robeez until they're
really out and about. Don't be fooled--it's just fine to take
those Robeez outsize and in the dirt and everything.

Do you recommend the kind of shoes which cover the ankle when a child is
first beginning to walk?

I don't think it matters.

Any recommendations on the most comfortable shoes?

Once she's been up and walking for a while, I would
try the Eccos. They have a wonderfully flexible sole and
have lots of room for little toes.

Best wishes,
Ericka

Old December 13th 04, 02:47 PM
Kmom

Ben is 15 months old and still only wears Robeez. I probably won't buy
regular (hard soled) shoes for him until spring. I'm going to get him
some of those lovely lined booties Robeez has come out with for winter.
Karen

Old December 13th 04, 02:51 PM
Kmom

I would stay in something like Robeez until they're
really out and about. Don't be fooled--it's just fine to take
those Robeez outsize and in the dirt and everything.

I couldn't agree more. Ben wears his Robeez out in the yard, out to the
park, to church.....everywhere. If they get dirty I just pop them in
the wash. Of course, he has mutiple pairs, how could anyone own just
one?? Thank goodness for Ebay!!!

Karen

Old December 13th 04, 04:18 PM
Mary W.

Carol Ann wrote:
Morgan has Robeez, Adidas, Buster Brown, Darling and a few others.

I LOVE the Robeez. I am however, needing to find her some more shoes.
I was thinking about First Walkers in Leather by Darling (they have a
great special buy 1 get 1 free...use discount coupon 2for1nut).

Do you recommend the kind of shoes which cover the ankle when a child is
first beginning to walk?

Any recommendations on the most comfortable shoes? Morgan doesn't seem
to have much of an ankle so I've sold some of the shoes she had that
pushed into her ankle.

DD1 didn't have shoes until she started walking. I think I bought her
first pair when she was 1 year old, and I got her a pair of stride
rites with a very flexible sole. After that I've routinely bought her
the nike infant/toddler sneakers with the pink swoosh - very flexible
soles. I love these shoes. You can get them at Sears and Kohls and
probably a bunch of other places.

DD2 is in Robeez. Love them.

Mary

Old December 13th 04, 04:32 PM
Phoebe & Allyson

Carol Ann wrote:

Any recommendations on the most comfortable shoes?

Caterpillar (18 months) went barefoot until she was almost a year (at
which point she'd been walking for 2 months) and wears Robeez still.
Once she was walking well, her grandparents tried getting her "real"
shoes, and she was utterly unable to walk in them. So we went back to
just Robeez. I got her 2 well-worn pairs on ebay for ~$25, and just
toss them in the wash if they get too icky. She loves them and they
stay on her feet.

She also has some stiff-soled rain boots to splash in puddles with. I'd
rather she have soft-soled boots, but I'm not willing to pay much of a
premium, since she only wears them once a month or so. (She wears the
rain boots over her shoes, because I couldn't get a small enough size,
and they wore a hole in the toe of her Robeez, so they're pretty cheap
boots.) And we have some stiff-soled snow boots - if the Robeez boots
were weatherproof, I'd go with those instead. She can't walk well in
them, but it hardly ever snows here.

Phoebe

Old December 13th 04, 05:27 PM
Kaybee

congrats on your new walker. Eva never wore shoes until she was running or
outside. Her first pair was a size 2/3. Only because I only put shoes on
her when she was walking on pavement. She hated them regardless. I do
recommend soft sole shoes that is what her pediatrician told me. It will
help them walk. What you want to spend on shoes is up to you, but I
couldn't see spending tons of money on shoes that the child is going to grow
out of.

Good luck.
Kay
Eva 9/2002