Bibs that really work?

Old June 3rd 07, 01:12 AM posted to misc.kids
bizby40

Default Bibs that really work?

"Jeff" wrote in message
bizby40 wrote:

I think some kids are just more ******* than others. My two never
made a mess under the chair, and there is nothing I really did to
encourage that. My son, however, at age 9 *still* makes a mess all
over the table around his plate! We've tried making rules for him
to follow -- swallow one bite before taking the next, hold your
fork still for a moment to see if anything drops off, don't "throw"
food towards your mouth, keep the plate right at the edge of the
table, and more -- but he's just not a careful kid. No matter how
we try, he still makes a mess. Now we're just trying to make sure
he's in charge of cleaning it up. *sigh*.

Gee, your son sounds just like me. There seems to be more crumbs
around my plate than others. At least I clean up after myself.

When it comes to neatness, I just don't get it.

Jeff

Lol -- ok, thanks for dashing our hopes that he would one day outgrow
it! :-)

Bizby

Old June 3rd 07, 02:42 AM posted to misc.kids
Nikki

"Chris" wrote in message
oups.com...

Now that was a creative idea--looking at other things outside of the
realm of those labeled bib. lol. I have a feeling Grant wouldn't like
that either. The full-length bibs we have here do catch a lot in the
lap, but food still slips over the front (and sides) and down onto the
floor with all of the wiggling. lol.

Well if you figure out a way to feed a baby/toddler without getting food on
the floor - patent it. That would be quite a feat!!

--
Nikki, mama to
Hunter 4/99

Old June 3rd 07, 03:24 AM posted to misc.kids
Chris

On Jun 2, 3:38?pm, Ericka Kammerer wrote:
Chris wrote:
I had the choice of less messy foods back when it was just me and my
first baby at home every evening at dinnertime because I didn't cook
meals since they were just wasted, but now that I have a whole family
to provide regular 3 meals every day to, what I make is it. lol. I
gave up on spending all of my time in the kitchen trying to ensure
everyone was happy, that as long as 2 out of 5 are, then that is what
we are going with, and if you don't like it, then pick one of the side
items I've served up that I know you do and fill up the best you can
on that. lol.

How old is the little one? I have three, and I have to
say that we never had all that much trouble with meals being
*that* messy. I don't know if I have inordinately neat kids
(sure seems unusual given how they try to keep their rooms
now), or if maybe there's something you could do to encourage
neatness so that you don't have to do so much cleaning in the
first place.

Best wishes,
Ericka

He is 19 months old and he never purposely drops things or throws
them. It is all just stuff that doesn't particularly stick to a spoon
or a fork well that falls down the front of the bib.

Old June 3rd 07, 03:26 AM posted to misc.kids
Chris

On Jun 2, 9:42?pm, "Nikki" wrote:
"Chris" wrote in message

oups.com...

Now that was a creative idea--looking at other things outside of the
realm of those labeled bib. lol. I have a feeling Grant wouldn't like
that either. The full-length bibs we have here do catch a lot in the
lap, but food still slips over the front (and sides) and down onto the
floor with all of the wiggling. lol.

Well if you figure out a way to feed a baby/toddler without getting food on
the floor - patent it. That would be quite a feat!!

--
Nikki, mama to
Hunter 4/99
Luke 4/01
Brock 4/06
Ben 4/06

I'll get right to work on that! lol.

Old June 3rd 07, 03:36 AM posted to misc.kids
Ericka Kammerer

Chris wrote:

He is 19 months old and he never purposely drops things or throws
them. It is all just stuff that doesn't particularly stick to a spoon
or a fork well that falls down the front of the bib.

Hmm. Maybe we just eat different food! ;-) I wouldn't
say my kids were unusually good with utensils by that age, and
they didn't emerge from mealtime pristine, but there weren't
huge messes on the floor and we didn't routinely chuck them in
the tub after dinner either. Maybe we just had fewer sauces ;-)

Best wishes,
Ericka
Old June 3rd 07, 03:43 AM posted to misc.kids
Chris

On Jun 2, 10:36?pm, Ericka Kammerer wrote:
Chris wrote:
He is 19 months old and he never purposely drops things or throws
them. It is all just stuff that doesn't particularly stick to a spoon
or a fork well that falls down the front of the bib.

Hmm. Maybe we just eat different food! ;-) I wouldn't
say my kids were unusually good with utensils by that age, and
they didn't emerge from mealtime pristine, but there weren't
huge messes on the floor and we didn't routinely chuck them in
the tub after dinner either. Maybe we just had fewer sauces ;-)

Best wishes,
Ericka

LOL. The floor isn't all that messy here. Just a few things make it
down there. Wiping the floor real quick is a much different story than
cleaning up the highchair seat and eating and going quickly. At least
he doesn't rub food in his hair like my daughter did. As far as babies
go, he is pretty tidy. We just have to wash his patties and wipe his
face, but the changing of clothes because of things hitting the lap
and getting underneath the lap just seems so unnecessary. lol. My kids
all loved to feed themselves so I let them. I have met people who do
not allow their children to feed themselves at all due to the mess.
lol.

Old June 3rd 07, 05:02 AM posted to misc.kids
Ericka Kammerer

Chris wrote:

LOL. The floor isn't all that messy here. Just a few things make it
down there. Wiping the floor real quick is a much different story than
cleaning up the highchair seat and eating and going quickly. At least
he doesn't rub food in his hair like my daughter did. As far as babies
go, he is pretty tidy. We just have to wash his patties and wipe his
face, but the changing of clothes because of things hitting the lap
and getting underneath the lap just seems so unnecessary. lol. My kids
all loved to feed themselves so I let them. I have met people who do
not allow their children to feed themselves at all due to the mess.
lol.

Mine insisted on feeding themselves as well. One
thing that was different for us is that we use a tall chair
pulled up to the table, rather than a fabric-covered, padded
high chair with a tray. It was easy to clean up, and they
could be pulled up close to the table, which helped lessen
the amount of food on the lap.

Best wishes,
Ericka
Old June 3rd 07, 05:47 AM posted to misc.kids
Chris

On Jun 3, 12:02?am, Ericka Kammerer wrote:
Chris wrote:
[...]

Hmmm. I do remember the booster seat days where we had that in the
regular kitchen chair pulled up to the kitchen table.....my first boy
was okay with it if I recall correctly, but we found food underneath
it and in it all of the time with my second, a girl, for years it
seemed. lol. She is now 7 and while the mess in the seat and on the
floor is almost nonexistent (occasional clumsiness), I have to wonder
when on earth this child will learn to eat while keeping food out of
her hair and start having more direct hits into her mouth. lol. No,
she really makes it into her mouth fine, but she must do this lip-
licking maneuver that spreads the food out around her mouth about a
good quarter-inch. lol. She is no dainty little flower. This baby
loves to look from side to side at all of the other family members at
the table to join in on the jokes and conversation, which is probably
how some food gets down past the tray and still into his lap when up
to the table in a restaurant highchair that we have, but he also likes
to take his messy hands and put them under the tray into his lap, like
when he is fake laughing with us and things. lol.

Old June 3rd 07, 03:22 PM posted to misc.kids
Ericka Kammerer

Chris wrote:
On Jun 3, 12:02?am, Ericka Kammerer wrote:

Mine insisted on feeding themselves as well. One
thing that was different for us is that we use a tall chair
pulled up to the table, rather than a fabric-covered, padded
high chair with a tray. It was easy to clean up, and they
could be pulled up close to the table, which helped lessen
the amount of food on the lap.

Hmmm. I do remember the booster seat days where we had that in the
regular kitchen chair pulled up to the kitchen table.....my first boy
was okay with it if I recall correctly, but we found food underneath
it and in it all of the time with my second, a girl, for years it
seemed.

I'm not sure how to describe the one we have. It's
old--my parents used this one for my sister and a similar
one for myself, and they weren't new then. They're wooden
chairs that are small and tall, but they don't have a
crossbar or anything like that so there aren't a lot of
places to trap food. Cleaning it up is just like cleaning
a regular all-wood dining chair.

lol. She is now 7 and while the mess in the seat and on the
floor is almost nonexistent (occasional clumsiness), I have to wonder
when on earth this child will learn to eat while keeping food out of
her hair and start having more direct hits into her mouth. lol. No,
she really makes it into her mouth fine, but she must do this lip-
licking maneuver that spreads the food out around her mouth about a
good quarter-inch. lol. She is no dainty little flower.

Yeah, my 3yo isn't either. She's not allowed to come
to the table unless her hair is up ;-) Otherwise, she gets
all sorts of stuff in her hair, mostly because she turns around
and isn't aware of what her hair is up to.

Best wishes,
Ericka
Old June 3rd 07, 10:25 PM posted to misc.kids
Anne Rogers[_2_]

I'm not sure how to describe the one we have. It's
old--my parents used this one for my sister and a similar
one for myself, and they weren't new then. They're wooden
chairs that are small and tall, but they don't have a
crossbar or anything like that so there aren't a lot of
places to trap food. Cleaning it up is just like cleaning
a regular all-wood dining chair.

I know what you mean, we had one on loan for a while, but I've never seen
one to buy. A similar chair that's available to buy is a Stokke Tripp Trapp,
which we have two of. You can also buy a "baby set", which gives you a
higher back and a between the legs strap, and cushions, we never used the
cushions with #2, we removed the between the legs strap around 18mths, so we
now just have a chair that is the right height, pushed into the table. I'm
not saying everything is clean, that isn't the case, but we've never had the
problem of food on the child's lap, a chair that pushes into the table gives
you a lot more flexibility than a trap that has 3 positions. I think you do
need the cushions for this chair early on, but even 6mths it's not
absolutely necessary and I personally never put a child in a high chair
before then.

Anne

Work! Bev Single Parents 0 June 8th 06 03:38 PM
He *CAN* work! Joelle Single Parents 7 March 18th 04 11:57 AM
Beautiful Personalized Christening Bibs Peggy Twins & Triplets 0 February 24th 04 01:29 PM
Work Irish Marie Breastfeeding 3 November 19th 03 05:15 AM