Harry Potter

Old July 8th 03, 07:21 PM
Robyn Kozierok

Default Harry Potter

In article ,
Penny Gaines wrote:
Penny Gaines wrote in :

Robyn Kozierok wrote in :

In article ,
Kevin Karplus wrote:

We haven't got our copy of HP5 yet (still waiting for it to come from
England---we're reading the British editions),

I heard a rumor that they had "unified" the texts in the later books.
Anyone know if that's true?

I finished it about an hour ago: I did notice it referred to looking
in the "boy's bathrooms" when I would have expected them to look in
the "boy's toilets."

Now to read the rest of this thread - I've been too worried about
spoilers. But probably tomorrow.

I know I shouldn't follow my own post up, but...

A couple of posts have referred to the book being 800+ pages long.
Our copy is 766 pages.

As an aside, our copy says it is "First published in Great Britain 2003"
and that is printed in Great Britain.

The pages are different. I believe it is just a different font/margins.

I heard the "rumor" of unified text in relation to book 3 or 4, but I
noticed that book 5 has a brief reference to the Sorcerer's stone, which
of course would be wrong in the UK, so I imagine they must have at least
changed that. I was meaning to be on the lookout for British spelling,
but I didn't notice any in my American edition. Then again, I spent a
good part of my childhood in Canada, so the British spellings don't look
odd to me, so I might just not have noticed...?

--Robyn

Old July 9th 03, 02:05 AM
Cathy Kearns

Default Harry Potter- it's a small world

We are going through the Britishisms alot lately, not only due to picking up
Harry Potter while on vacation in Italy, so it is the British version, but
due
to just how small the world is. My 13 year old daughter's friend was
visiting
England. She wrote a postcard to my daughter, addressed it, and gave it to
her mother to mail. Her mother lost the postcard, and it was found by two
young ladies in the Oxford train station. The young ladies packaged the
postcard, as well as a rebuttal (they really thought English food wasn't so
bad) and included i-zone pictures of themselves as well as their email
address,
mailing it all off to the one address they had, my daughter's. Well, they
all
started instant messaging, and lo and behold, they are all the same age,
going through the same things. My daughter does have a few hiccups
communicating, in attempting to decipher "cheeky" she responded with
a few apparent americanisms they hadn't heard.

The amazing thing about Harry Potter in England was it was everywhere. We
got to London one week after the latest had been released, and my eight year
old was discussing it with every cab driver we ran into. Apparently cab
drivers need a book for waiting, and Harry Potter seemed to be the book of
the week. We also saw many a professionally dressed worker on the tube,
with their Harry Potter book for the ride.
"me again" wrote in message

Far more Britishisms this time around, (or at least non-midwesternisms)
'trainers' for shoes, heh

our trainers are your sneakers. Sweaters are usually called jumpers over
here.

whatever the British word is for 'sweater'
were among those that caught my eye.

Robert