Admitted to the Hospital (longish)

Old September 20th 03, 12:30 AM
Daye

Default Admitted to the Hospital (longish)

Hello all...

Well, I had a bit of a crisis on Thursday morning. I thought I had
gone into pre-term labor. Thankfully, that was not the case.

I am currently 23 weeks pregnant. On Thursday morning, I woke up at
1am, and I had pressure in my nether regions. I thought I needed to
go to the toilet. However, nothing happened, and the pressure (along
with pain) was there.

After trying to go back to sleep failed, I took a hot bath to see if
that helped. My thoughts was it was constipation (it wasn't),
dehydration or pre-term labor. I drank water the entire time I was in
the bath. I was there for about 45 mins. I was tired and sleepy. I
took some pain meds and went back to bed. I was still having the pain
and pressure, but it did seem to lessen.

I had tried to call my Mom in the US when I was in the bath. She
wasn't at home, so I left a message. At about 4am, she called me
back. Mom is an LVN, so medical stuff is usually ran past her.

She said that is what she felt like when she first went into labor
with both my sister and me. She wanted me to go to the hospital. I
was reluctant. I wanted to go back to bed, and see if the pressure
was still there in the morning. We agreed that I should talk to the
midwife at my hospital, and I would do what she suggested. So I
called the midwife, and she wanted me to come in and get checked. So
I did.

I got DD to my MIL's house. DH drove me to the hospital. We got
there at about 6am. My BP and urine was checked. BP was 100/70.
Urine was clear and I didn't have a UTI. It was decided at about 8am
that I was probably not in labor. By about that time, the pain and
pressure had pretty much gone away anyway.

At about 9am, the doctors checked my cervix, and it was closed. I was
not in labor. However, they are not sure what happened. It is
thought that I might have irritable uterus again, but the pain was
different from last time. It is also a bit early for irritable uterus
to be kicking in. OR they thought it could be the ligaments and
muscles expanding and causing pressure.

By 11am, I was home again. I spent the rest of the day and all day
Friday in bed. The pain is still there, but the pressure has not come
back.

Anyone ever experience anything like this?? Anyone have any ideas
what it could be?

--
Daye
Momma to Jayan
Old September 20th 03, 12:53 AM
Sandy R

IT could have been your uterus expanding, I had some similar problems in
one of my pregnancies around the same # of weeks as you...I too am 23
weeks right now and there is some pressure and pain but I don't worry
about it as I had problems in the past with it....Also you could have
had the baby lying on your intestines or a nerve...Hope all goes well
and it is nothing serious...Take care and get lots of rest...

Hugs,
Sandy

Mom to Keith age 12, Kyle age 5 Ryan age 3 Andrew age 1 and Peanut EDD
1-13-04

Old September 20th 03, 02:45 AM
Em

"Daye" wrote in message
Well, I had a bit of a crisis on Thursday morning. I thought I had
gone into pre-term labor. Thankfully, that was not the case.

I'm so glad that you weren't in labor!

At about 9am, the doctors checked my cervix, and it was closed. I was
not in labor. However, they are not sure what happened. It is
thought that I might have irritable uterus again, but the pain was
different from last time. It is also a bit early for irritable uterus
to be kicking in. OR they thought it could be the ligaments and
muscles expanding and causing pressure.

By 11am, I was home again. I spent the rest of the day and all day
Friday in bed. The pain is still there, but the pressure has not come
back.

Anyone ever experience anything like this?? Anyone have any ideas
what it could be?

Hmm. I'm fairly well stumped. This doesn't sound the same as what you're
talking about, but I do know that I have had cramp-type feelings for most of
my pregnancy (I had a small gap in the 2nd trimester without them) and lots
of Braxton-Hicks after the 20 week mark. I thought of the early crampy
feelings as kind of pre-Braxton-Hicks--almost like my uterus wasn't
contracting all the way up, but was still "working" itself. Since you've
experienced having a irritable uterus already and this doesn't feel the same
and since you don't have a UTI, I really have no idea what it might be.
Weird.

Wish I could be more helpful--glad you and baby boy are fine!

--
Em
edd 9/23/03

Old September 20th 03, 04:08 AM
Nikki

Daye wrote:
However, they are not sure what happened. It is
thought that I might have irritable uterus again, but the pain was
different from last time. It is also a bit early for irritable uterus
to be kicking in. OR they thought it could be the ligaments and
muscles expanding and causing pressure.

By 11am, I was home again. I spent the rest of the day and all day
Friday in bed. The pain is still there, but the pressure has not come
back.

Goodness how stressful for you. I'm thinking it might be ligaments. I had
the same type of thing with Hunter and it started at about 25 weeks. The
pressure would come and go depending on how much time I spend on my feet but
the pain was always there. I swore I was just going to crack open and he
was going to fall out. I was fairly miserable with #1 but didn't realize it
wasn't just part of the deal until I had #2 and it wasn't nearly as bad.

Hoping it goes away for you!

--
Nikki
Mama to Hunter (4) and Luke (2)

Old September 20th 03, 07:21 PM
Elly

Daye,
sorry I have no idea what it is that happened to you (I had a pain in the
left side of the abdomen reaching to the half of my back, but it was just
"kidney sand" (like kidney stones, only smaller size) at 19+ weeks, but it
doesn't seem the same thing you described.

But I am so glad you weren't in labour! Rest as much as you can!

Best wishes,
Elly
37 weeks + 5 days
(15 days to go!)
EDD October 6th

Old September 20th 03, 09:01 PM
Daye

Thank you for all who sent well wishes and ideas. I can see that it
was probably just one of those "Weird Pregnancy Things" (TM). I have
a lot under that column!

The good news is that it is now Sunday morning here (local time), and
the pressure has not come back. I still have pain, but with
pre-pregnancy problems in that region, pain isn't that big of a deal
for me.