Afternoon snacks

Old August 8th 03, 08:32 PM
Sue

Default Afternoon snacks

What do you give your kids for afterschool snacks? It seems I am running out
of ideas. Thanks so much. )

--
Sue
mom to three girls

Old August 9th 03, 03:34 AM
Brandy Kurtz

"Sue" wrote in message ...
What do you give your kids for afterschool snacks? It seems I am running out
of ideas. Thanks so much. )

My son eats a peanut butter sandwich, and a glass of milk when he
comes home from school. My other children arent' in school yet, so I
can't help out much!

Brandy
Old August 9th 03, 10:32 PM
Sue

Thanks Brandy.
--
Sue
mom to three girls

Brandy Kurtz wrote in message
om...

Old August 10th 03, 04:21 AM
Chookie

In article ,
"Sue" wrote:

What do you give your kids for afterschool snacks? It seems I am running out
of ideas. Thanks so much. )

I'm not there yet, but what about wholemeal (American) muffins? Raisin toast?
Fruit? Milk? Cheese on toast? Pikelets?

--
Chookie -- Sydney, Australia

"...children should continue to be breastfed... for up to two years of age
or beyond." -- Innocenti Declaration, Florence, 1 August 1990
Old August 10th 03, 05:52 PM
Sue

Great ideas, thank you.

Now what is Pikelets?

--
Sue
mom to three girls

Old August 10th 03, 06:21 PM
Naomi Pardue

What do you give your kids for afterschool snacks? I

Fruit
Milk and cookies
Milk and a sandwich.

Sometimes she'll make herself something more elaborate like bacon and eggs if
she's really hungry.

Naomi
CAPPA Certified Lactation Educator

reply.)
Old August 11th 03, 07:45 PM
Daye

On Sun, 10 Aug 2003 09:52:37 -0700, "Sue"
wrote:

Now what is Pikelets?

From http://www.cuisinedumonde.com/pikelets.html

Pikelets or Scottish Pancakes are a small and sweet pancake best
served warm with melted butter or cold with jam and whipped cream.

200 grams / 7 oz of flour
1 teaspoon of baking powder
1 egg
A pinch of salt
4 tablespoons of white sugar
210 ml / 7 fluid oz of milk
30 grams / 1½ oz of butter

In a medium sized bowl whisk together the egg, milk, sugar and salt.
In a large bowl sift the flour and baking powder. Melt the butter.
Pour the egg mixture and butter into the flour and stir quickly until
the dry ingredients are moist but still slightly lumpy. Take care not
to overmix the batter. Heat a greased griddle or frying pan, and drop
dessertspoons of mixture from the tip of the spoon onto the pan. Cook
over a medium heat - too little heat gives heavy and pale pikelets,
too much heat is likely to burn. Turn the pikelets as soon as bubbles
appear. The pikelets should be golden on both sides.
Old August 11th 03, 10:55 PM
LFortier

Sue wrote:

What do you give your kids for afterschool snacks? It seems I am running out
of ideas. Thanks so much. )

--
Sue
mom to three girls

Ours can vary wildly from healthy to junk. Fruit, yogurt, baby carrots
or celery, cereal bars, graham crackers, and sometimes they'll make
smores in the microwave - chocolate chips on a graham cracker with
marshmallows or fluff on top. Popsicles on hot days.

Lesley

Old August 12th 03, 05:27 PM
Sue

That sounds about what my kids do eat. I am trying to migrate towards more
healthy. Thank you for the suggestions.
--
Sue
mom to three girls

Old August 13th 03, 01:44 PM
Chookie

In article ,
Daye wrote:

Pikelets or Scottish Pancakes are a small and sweet pancake best
served warm with melted butter or cold with jam and whipped cream.

snip nice recipe

I just use milk, eggs and SR flour until the batter is of the right
consistency, then fry them in a little sunflower oil. What do you reckon,
Daye, make them 3 inches across? I like sour cream and jam, or honey, or
maple syrup, or just jam. And they are nicer straight from the pan, though
quite acceptable at room temp.

DS loves "ply-kets"!