Dilation and effacement... how much?

Old June 14th 04, 08:20 PM
Jody Pellerin

Default Dilation and effacement... how much?

How much can your cervix actually dilate and efface before labor will begin?
Old June 14th 04, 09:34 PM
Ericka Kammerer

Jody Pellerin wrote:

How much can your cervix actually dilate and efface before labor will begin?

A lot ;-) I went up to 4cm with nothing but
here and there contractions, and was there for a week
or more. I know other women have been more dilated
and effaced than I was without being in labor. The
bottom line is that dilation and effacement pretty
much don't say a thing about when you'll go into real
labor full term.

Best wishes,
Ericka

Old June 14th 04, 10:18 PM
Angela Schepers

Oh my... I really don't know but I think it *can* be quite a bit. I was
induced at 5cm dialated and 100% effaced. I had been sitting that way
for a couple weeks and never went into labor naturally.

Old June 14th 04, 11:06 PM
Cherie

"Jody Pellerin" wrote in message
om...
How much can your cervix actually dilate and efface before labor will

begin?

I was 2 cm dilated and 100% effaced for a month before labor began. And of
course every night I was certain I would be in labor the next day.

--
Cherie
mom to Jakob (22 months)

Old June 15th 04, 03:45 AM
Vicky Bilaniuk

Cherie wrote:

"Jody Pellerin" wrote in message
om...

How much can your cervix actually dilate and efface before labor will

begin?

I was 2 cm dilated and 100% effaced for a month before labor began. And of
course every night I was certain I would be in labor the next day.

They have to do internals to determine how much you're dilated and
effaced, right? ...and, um, these are the things that we can all skip,
right? ;-) (personally I'm planning to decline internals, although I
haven't told the midwife yet. She told me that they like to do one
later in pregnancy but I really am not comfortable with it)

Old June 15th 04, 05:12 AM
Ericka Kammerer

Vicky Bilaniuk wrote:

They have to do internals to determine how much you're dilated and
effaced, right? ...and, um, these are the things that we can all skip,
right? ;-)

Yep. And as you can see from this thread, the
information you get from them doesn't mean a thing under
normal circumstances, so why bother? ;-)

Best wishes,
Ericka

Old June 15th 04, 05:35 AM
Denise Anderson

"Jody Pellerin" wrote in message
om...
How much can your cervix actually dilate and efface before labor will

begin?

I'm at 4 right now, 35 weeks.. my doctor jokes that I probably started at 4
though

Denise

Old June 15th 04, 04:51 PM
Mary Gordon

One of my friends got checked at a routine visit at her due date for
her first baby, and the doc freaked because she was almost completely
effaced and 4 cm dilated. She hadn't had a twinge of pain. She didn't
go into labour until the next day (they finally broke her water, since
the doc was afraid to let her walk around like that). She had a very
quick labour - including pushing, the whole thing was maybe 1 1/2
hours.

I was the opposite. Next to no effacement or dilation any of my three
pregnancies until labour pains actually started.

This is why internals are pretty meaningless most of the time, unless
you are in danger of going too early! You can be quite dilated and
walk around like that for weeks before baby comes, or you can closed
up tight and have baby in your arms a few hours later.

Go figure.

Mary G.
Old June 15th 04, 06:09 PM
Jody Pellerin

"Denise Anderson" wrote in message .. .
"Jody Pellerin" wrote in message
om...
How much can your cervix actually dilate and efface before labor will

begin?

I'm at 4 right now, 35 weeks.. my doctor jokes that I probably started at 4
though

Denise

Yikes, I thought your body would eventually start labor if you dilated
so much. I guess not. I suppose it's just that much less to dilate in
labor but that just freaks me out for some reason. Do the doctor's
intervene at all if you dilate too much without labor? Like if you got
to 6cm or something?