BPD/FL ratio

Old April 27th 06, 12:37 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy

Default BPD/FL ratio

Hi all,
My wife is pregnant and now her pregnancy is 24 weeks old. This
monday when we went for routine Ultrasound the Biparetal
Diameter/Femur Length ratio has come out to be 2.32 where it should
have been somewhere around 1.5 (BPD is 61mm and FL is 26.3 mm).... Now
my question is will the pregnancy last? or we will have to do an
abortion(pre-mature delivery)? If the pregnancy will held then what are
the chances that the child will live after birth and will not be
effected by Down Syndrome and other deficenies? Please do help me. By
looking at different charts online I have gained that Femur length
should have been close to 45mm in the 24th week. and the cut off length
should have been at least 40mm. Now I am really worried and before the
visit to Gynae I want to get some knowledge from you people...

Imran

Old April 27th 06, 12:53 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy

I suspect it just means your baby is fairly short, I don't think anyone
calculated the ratios for either of my children, but the first had
particularly short legs, but with a normal or even big head, so the ratio
must have been out of the normal range. At the time I did search around for
any info I could find and there didn't seem to be much and no particular
cause for concern. My son was born at 37 weeks, he was short and skinny, but
for his gestation actually had an above average head circumference! He's
nearly 3 now and is still in the same proportions, which causes difficulty
in getting clothes to fit, but that is all. Sweaters and t-shirts that fit
his body are difficult to get over his head and as his height is comparable
to an 18 month old, trousers that are the right length are too wide as he's
not in nappies.

I suggest you ask your doctor what he thinks, the only concern I would have
is that it may be an early warning of a growth problem and therefore may
need extra monitoring, we think my son had that which was partially why he
was born at 37 weeks (he was induced), his weight was 5lb13oz.

Good Luck

Anne

Old April 27th 06, 07:47 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy

wrote:
[...]

I'm not familiar with the terms that you are using, but based on Anne's
response, it sounds like your baby's femur is measuring shorter than
average, and you are worried about Down Syndrome. The only way to tell if
your baby has DS is to do an amnio. If everything else on your u/s was
normal and looked good, the chances of the pregnancy ending in stillbirth or
miscarrage at this point, based only on the femur length, are virtually
none. Now, whether or not you would chose to terminate this pregnancy based
on the health of your child, that's your choice, but a choice such as that
should not be made on a single finding via u/s -- a shorter than average
femur. While a shorter femur can be a soft sign for DS, it can also be a
"hard sign" of a shorter than average child. : ) Are you and your wife on
the short side or tall side?

If you feel strongly that you need to know if your child has any chromosomal
issues, then you should request an amnio as soon as possible -- it will take
about 2 weeks to get the results back. On the other hand, if the rest of
the u/s finding were normal and good, you might consider just waiting it
out. It's too late (at least in the u/s) to terminate a pregnancy at this
point anyway, and in 2-3 weeks when you get your amnio results back, it will
be even later.

I wish you luck, and hope that your baby is perfectly healthy.
--

Jamie
Earth Angels:

Check out the family! --
www.MyFamily.com, User ID: Clarkguest1,
Password: Guest Become a member for free - go to Add Member to set up
your own User ID and Password

Old April 27th 06, 08:08 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy

Short femurs can be a marker for Down syndrome. A single marker
minimally elevates the risk. If multiple markers are present, the risk
is greater. Many fetuses have short femurs without any chromosomal
problem.

As others have noted, the only way to definitively diagnose Down
syndrome is via amniocentesis. If the short femur is the only risk
factor you have, I doubt your providers will recommend an amnio because
the risk elevation is not that high. If other markers or risk factors
are present, amnio may be offered to you.

You never "have to" have an abortion. Many people carry Down syndrome
babies to term and feel blessed to have these children in their
families.

Old April 28th 06, 05:47 AM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy

Thanks for all of your replies. Today we are going to have another
Ultra Sound... and tomorrow we will meet the Gynae. I will update here
about the situation....

Unwanted effects of CP 0:-> Spanking 52 February 9th 06 08:43 AM
C-section to Vaginal Ratio recommendations? [email protected] Pregnancy 90 February 14th 05 06:55 PM
(poll) stroller-to-child ratio Sara General 41 May 12th 04 08:48 PM
'Science' vs Squatting? (Zhang et al. 2004) Todd Gastaldo Pregnancy 0 April 18th 04 08:36 PM
Short femur - I'm worried! Kimberly Pregnancy 26 February 12th 04 02:25 PM