Biparietal Diameter / 20 week scan

Old January 29th 07, 07:37 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
per_sonal via FamilyKB.com

Default Biparietal Diameter / 20 week scan

We have just had our 20 week scan and have been told the babys Biparietal
Diameter is below the normal scale at 39mm with head circumference at 158mm
and abdominal circumference at137mm (all just in scale) We have to go back
for another scan to keep an eye on the growth.

Does anyone know if this is ok? Will brain size be normal and will the baby
be ok and normal when born?

We are sooo worried and don;t know what the negatives could be and are trying
to remain positive.
Can someone help us?

Many thanks...

Old January 29th 07, 08:02 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
alath

What was the gestational age when the scan was done?

Old January 29th 07, 08:54 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
Jamie Clark

Did they give you any indication of what this might mean? Did they tell you
the numbers, or did you just read them from the u/s report? Did they tell
you what the normal scale was? For example, if the normal scale was 40mm,
then I wouldn't be so worried about a measurement of 39mm. But, if the
normal measurement was closer to 60-100mm or something, then that would seem
more worrisome.

The other factor to take into consideration is how worried the doctors
seemed, and what they said. If they said it's low but not something we
should worry about, then I wouldn't worry. If they said it's low, and we'd
like to watch it, come back in a month, then I wouldn't worry so much. If
they said it's low and we want to see you next week, and it could mean "blah
blah blah (insert some horrible diagnosis here), then I'd be worried.
--

Jamie
Earth Angels:

Guest
Password

Old January 29th 07, 09:41 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
alath

137mm AC is 50th percentile for 19 weeks gestational age
158mm HC is 50th percentile for 18.5 weeks gestational age

- from these, I am assuming you were somewhere between 18.5 and 19.0
weeks at the time the scan was done (since you didn't mention them
saying these numbers were out of the expected range).

A BPD of 39mm at 18.5-19 weeks is going to be roughly 15th percentile.

This is not actually an abnormal measurement, but it is proportionally
smaller than the other measurements.

If the overall head size (HC) is normal but the BPD is small, that
does not suggest microcephaly or other anomalies associated with
grossly abnormal brain development. In these cases, the HC and BPD are
BOTH very small, usually less than 5th percentile.

Small BPD with normal HC suggests a normal head size, but a slightly
elongated head shape. This is very often found when the fetus is in
breech position - in which case it means nothing. Remember the fetal
head is flexible and can be compressed in certain positions and
there's nothing wrong with that.

There are some skull development abnormalities - synostoses and
dysostoses - that can result in very extremely elongated or otherwise
abnormal head shapes. At 19 weeks, it is really too early to be
picking these things up. Also, in these cases, the numbers are very
much more abnormal than the numbers you are quoting. I rather doubt
this is what is going on with your baby, but your providers are
scanning you serially just to make sure the baby's measurements
continue to grow normally.

Old January 29th 07, 09:46 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
xkatx

"Jamie Clark" wrote in message
Did they give you any indication of what this might mean? Did they tell
you the numbers, or did you just read them from the u/s report? Did they
tell you what the normal scale was? For example, if the normal scale was
40mm, then I wouldn't be so worried about a measurement of 39mm. But, if
the normal measurement was closer to 60-100mm or something, then that
would seem more worrisome.

The other factor to take into consideration is how worried the doctors
seemed, and what they said. If they said it's low but not something we
should worry about, then I wouldn't worry. If they said it's low, and
we'd like to watch it, come back in a month, then I wouldn't worry so
much. If they said it's low and we want to see you next week, and it
could mean "blah blah blah (insert some horrible diagnosis here), then I'd
be worried.

Even with that, it's never a sure thing. I had my OB quite worried with
DD2. From about 28-34 weeks, I was measuring a good 4-5 weeks behind for
size. She rushed me in to have an u/s done within 2 days or so, just to
check everything out. They said DD2 was looking good, just *extremely*
small, at 34-35 weeks, and still measured real small for dates until she was
born. It was something the doctor was fairly concerned about, but DD2 was
born 6 days before her EDD and weighed in at 7lbs 3oz - not a very small
baby for baby #4, when the others were 7lbs 11oz, 8lbs 2oz and 7lbs 8oz.
She was by no means 'extremely' small!

Buuut, I do agree - if they seem very worried and have you coming back in
the *very* near future, then it might be something of a concern. If the
doctors or technicians don't appear to be making a big fuss and just want to
check out, then I wouldn't worry myself all too much!

Old January 29th 07, 10:24 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
Anne Rogers

We have just had our 20 week scan and have been told the babys Biparietal
Diameter is below the normal scale at 39mm with head circumference at
158mm
and abdominal circumference at137mm (all just in scale) We have to go back
for another scan to keep an eye on the growth.

so you're saying the head circumference was normal? but not the diameter?
whilst the head is not a perfect sphere, the two are strongly related and
unless anything else has been said, I rather suspect there has been a
measurement error.

Anne

Old January 30th 07, 04:45 AM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
alath

for another scan to keep an eye on the growth.so you're saying the head circumference was normal? but not the diameter?

whilst the head is not a perfect sphere, the two are strongly related and
unless anything else has been said, I rather suspect there has been a
measurement error.

Very unlikely. The first thing anyone does when a measurement seems
out of proportion is to recheck the image, look at the landmarks, and
evaluate whether it was a technically adequate measurement. Often we
will measure the same thing two or three times when a measurement is
odd, just to see if we keep getting the same result. Sometimes the
fetus is in a poor position for a particular measurement, but in this
case, the sonographer/ologist would certainly know this and report
such to the patient.

As I mentioned above, it is possible for the BPD and HC to be
disproportionate, reflecting an unusually round or unusually elongated
head shape. Although, again, this poster's measurements didn't seem
all that extremely unusual when I looked them up on my tables.

Old January 30th 07, 07:45 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
per_sonal via FamilyKB.com

alath wrote:
What was the gestational age when the scan was done?

19 weeks and 5 days

Old January 30th 07, 07:54 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
per_sonal via FamilyKB.com

No one at the hospital really took us through the report. We had the scan and
she asked us to wait in the waiting area while she prepared the numbers and
did the report.

Then she gave us the report and didnt look worried but said that she wanted
to see us in 2-3 weeks time as the growth of the baby looked on the small
side, so they just wanted to monitor it.

But when I showed my midwife the report, she looked more concerned and said
that hopefully the baby will catch up, but she didnt want to tell me what the
possiblities could be (good or bad) as anything could happen.

So 2 very different expressions. Which is why it worried us even more, in
case the hospital werent telling us anything more without further
investigation.

Jamie Clark wrote:
[...]

[quoted text clipped - 12 lines]

Many thanks...

Old January 30th 07, 08:29 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
Jamie Clark

Actually, they sort of sound like the same response to me. I mean, your
midwife may have looked a little concerned (or suprised, since she wasn't
expecting anything to show up), but she didn't say you should go in any
sooner, or do anything differently. Sometimes things can be off, and
doctors and midwives are reluctant to tell you the worst case scenario,
because it's just too soon to tell if it's anything to worry about. It may
well not be an issue at your next u/s, in which case it would have been
foolish to get you so upset and worried over nothing.

Now I'm one that likes information, so I'd probably make another appointment
with my midwife to discuss the issue, and find out what the normal ranges
are, how far off it is, what might cause it to be off, what the chances are
that it's going to correct itself or not be a problem, and what the problems
might be, if it's hasn't corrected itself in a few weeks. Just get
information, and know that you do not have all the facts in terms of what is
going on with your particular case.

But overall, it doesn't sound like anything to be majorly alarmed about at
this point in time.