Kids Education

Old July 9th 03, 10:37 PM
Mike Jones

Default Kids Education

"Donna Metler" wrote in message ...
"Mike Jones" wrote in message
om...
I'm always thinking about my kids' education. I worry about how well
they are being taught, but I don't have the money for fancy private
schools. Then, I read and heard that it may be possible for me to have
a greater selection of schools for my kids than I now have. Does
anyone know much about this?

In most large school districts, there are mechanisms which allow you to
transfer your child to a school outside your local attendance area, if
you're willing to transport them there. In addition, many school districts
have optional or magnet schools which are open to all students in the city,
but they have to meet the criteria. Depending on where you live, charter
schools may also be an option.

Finally, if your child attends a child considered to be "low performing",
the district must allow you to transfer to another school or pay for after
school tutoring.

After seeing information about vouchers in the news, and parents being
able to use vouchers to pick a school for their kids, I now wonder
whether I could use these special programs. Can't my kids have this
opportunity? So, I want to tell others who may be in the same spot
that I am that I'm going to look into how I can get vouchers for my
kids. There's a website that has a lot of good information about
options for parents like me and if you're interested, you should check
it out: www.iEdx.org.
Old July 9th 03, 11:07 PM
Donna Metler

om...

"Mike Jones" wrote in message
[...]

None of these are voucher programs-rather these are choice programs within
the public system and are much more widely available than vouchers. School
choice doesn't mean just "give me money so I can send my child to a private
school"-and in most large cities, parents have quite a bit of choice within
the public sector, especially in areas where charter schools are allowed.

If you're in a small community, where there aren't public or charter
options, vouchers probably wouldn't help much, simply because there won't be
many private schools either.

Old July 9th 03, 11:16 PM
P. Tierney

"toto" wrote in message
news
On 9 Jul 2003 14:37:14 -0700, (Mike Jones) wrote:

There's a website that has a lot of good information about
options for parents like me and if you're interested, you should check
it out:
www.iEdx.org.

Spam, spam, spam... and an agenda too. You have posted this same
message in lots of threads. I don't believe you are really a parent
or that you want to do anything except promote hits to that website.

Yup, that explains why he essentially ended up answering his own
"question".

P.
Tierney