formula ad on tv in australia

Old April 2nd 04, 12:45 AM
elizabeth emerald

Default formula ad on tv in australia

i saw an ad for toddler formula on tv today (regional nsw, australia). i was
a bit shocked as i've never seen one before, i didn't realize they
advertised there. i wonder if it is only in regional areas or has anyone
seen them on metro tv? it was a little after lunch.

btw, i saw it on tv's in a department store with DH & DS & i was standing
there pointing at the screen going "uh, uh uh" at DH. people must have
thought i was loopy.
--
elizabeth (in australia)
DS - born 20-aug-02

Old April 2nd 04, 01:50 AM
JoFromOz

Yup, they have advertised S26 Toddler on TV for a while now...
They are allowed to because it isn't 'infant' food.

It's a pity it was Hayley Lewis who was advertising it for a while!

Jo

elizabeth emerald wrote:
i saw an ad for toddler formula on tv today (regional nsw,
australia). i was a bit shocked as i've never seen one before, i
didn't realize they advertised there. i wonder if it is only in
regional areas or has anyone seen them on metro tv? it was a little
after lunch.

btw, i saw it on tv's in a department store with DH & DS & i was
standing there pointing at the screen going "uh, uh uh" at DH. people
must have thought i was loopy.

Babies are Born... Pizzas are delivered.

Old April 2nd 04, 02:16 AM
Nic

"JoFromOz" wrote in message
Yup, they have advertised S26 Toddler on TV for a while now...
They are allowed to because it isn't 'infant' food.

huh ? they advertise infant and baby food all the time here on tv. (in melb
australia)

Nic

Old April 2nd 04, 07:29 AM
Lara

"Nic" nospam@nospam wrote:

"JoFromOz" wrote:
Yup, they have advertised S26 Toddler on TV for a while now...
They are allowed to because it isn't 'infant' food.

huh ? they advertise infant and baby food all the time here on tv. (in melb
australia)

Advertising baby food is legal, advertising toddler formula is legal
(unfortunately), advertising "breastmilk substitutes" (ie infant formula
for babies under 6-12 months), is illegal.

The WHO Code has a bit of a grey area in the follow-on formula
department. Under 6 months the situation is clear, between 6 and 12
months it gets fuzzy, and after 12 months it seems that marketing is
open slather in practice. Read original documents he

http://www.who.int/nut/documents/code_english.PDF

http://www.who.int/nut/documents/fol...ormula_eng.pdf

http://www.health.gov.au/pubhlth/pub.../apmaif_02.pdf

I have seen the ad that is meant a few times, and in my opinion, that
looks like a young "12 month old", so one might argue that it is a
possible violation of the spirit of the Code, if not the letter.

Lara
Old April 2nd 04, 08:25 AM
A&G&K

"elizabeth emerald" wrote in message
i saw an ad for toddler formula on tv today (regional nsw, australia). i

was
a bit shocked as i've never seen one before, i didn't realize they
advertised there. i wonder if it is only in regional areas or has anyone
seen them on metro tv? it was a little after lunch.

btw, i saw it on tv's in a department store with DH & DS & i was standing
there pointing at the screen going "uh, uh uh" at DH. people must have
thought i was loopy.
--
elizabeth (in australia)
DS - born 20-aug-02

I know - its *awful*. I turn off the TV every time I see it ... The premise
that "at least we can agree that feeding our child toddler formula is good"
really p!sses me off.
... that and another letter in our local paper stating that bf mothers
should consider other people's feelings about nudity before feeding their
hungry children ...
grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr ...
Amanda

--
DD 15th August 2002
1 tiny angel Nov 2003

Old April 2nd 04, 01:01 PM
Nic

"A&G&K" wrote in message

[...]

Yeah that is where I think to myself, agree to disagree. Whom says saying
on tv is good?

... that and another letter in our local paper stating that bf mothers
should consider other people's feelings about nudity before feeding their
hungry children ...

What local paper was that in ? I haven't seen that but I think that sounds
worse then the tv ad.

grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr ...
Amanda

--
DD 15th August 2002
1 tiny angel Nov 2003

Old April 2nd 04, 01:15 PM
Cat

"Nic" nospam@nospam wrote in message
u...

"A&G&K" wrote in message

... that and another letter in our local paper stating that bf mothers
should consider other people's feelings about nudity before feeding

their
hungry children ...

What local paper was that in ? I haven't seen that but I think that sounds
worse then the tv ad.

Local news group participant (me): "Bottlefeeding mothers should consider
other people's feelings about child neglect before feeding their hungry
children"

Tine, Denmark (damn it!)

Old April 2nd 04, 01:39 PM
Lara

Cat wrote:

"A&G&K" wrote:
... that and another letter in our local paper stating that bf mothers
should consider other people's feelings about nudity before feeding

their
hungry children ...

Local news group participant (me): "Bottlefeeding mothers should consider
other people's feelings about child neglect before feeding their hungry
children"

"Artificial feeding", please.

Lara
Old April 2nd 04, 02:01 PM
Cat

"Lara" wrote in message
Cat wrote:

"A&G&K" wrote:
... that and another letter in our local paper stating that bf

mothers
should consider other people's feelings about nudity before feeding

their
hungry children ...

Local news group participant (me): "Bottlefeeding mothers should

consider
other people's feelings about child neglect before feeding their hungry
children"

"Artificial feeding", please.

Yes - of course. You must excuse me - English is only my second language.

Tine, Denmark

Old April 2nd 04, 11:17 PM
JoFromOz

At my hospital, we use the term, 'artificial feeding' or 'BMS' which is
'Breastmilk Substitute'.

It's baby-friendly

Jo