Lack of breastmilk production

Old September 25th 07, 10:16 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Anne Rogers[_4_]

Default Lack of breastmilk production

I have three of my very close ones who went through C-section, have
faced no colustrum or lack of breast milk and I want to know if there
could be ways to tackle this.

not having colostrum, would be vanishingly unlikely, I've never, in all
my time on here, other breastfeeding groups, La Leche League etc heard
of a reported case of it, which wasn't associated with an issue with
milk ducts, e.g. as a complication following a breast reduction.

Not being able to express colostrum is a completely different matter.

Anne
Old September 28th 07, 04:53 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
barb

On Sep 24, 2:45 am, wrote:
My cousin has a baby boy just two months ago, she went through C-
section to deliver the baby, she didn't have milk till five days and
now she is complaining of not producing enough milk for her baby. she
gets him to suckle often to follow that demand and supply rule for
breastmilk producation but not much of use. Her son cries a lot and
doctor says that baby is not getting enough feeds. The mom is very
determin to breastfeed exclusively for six months at least. Can anyone
help with idea to improve her breastmilk and avoid top feed??

Your cousin may need to increase her fluid intake....nursing mothers
need alot of fluids. Also though this may sound weird but after one
of my kids was born I drank a beer one hot evening and by morning I
had so much breast milk that I couldn't even put my arms down. I have
never ever been so engorged in my life. She may just want to drink a
small glass of beer, not a case...lol and see what happens. I know
the dr.s don't want you to consume alcohol when nursing, but a small
amount wouldn't hurt. I think it was the brewers yeast that did it,
so maybe a non alcoholic beer would work. Good luck.....keep
nursing....barb

Old September 28th 07, 11:01 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
NL

barb schrieb:
snip
Also though this may sound weird but after one
of my kids was born I drank a beer one hot evening and by morning I
had so much breast milk that I couldn't even put my arms down. I have
never ever been so engorged in my life. She may just want to drink a
small glass of beer, not a case...lol and see what happens. I know
the dr.s don't want you to consume alcohol when nursing, but a small
amount wouldn't hurt. I think it was the brewers yeast that did it,
so maybe a non alcoholic beer would work. Good luck.....keep
nursing....barb

In germany we have "Malzbier" which is an alcohol free malt beer/drink
(I don't think they're allowed to call it beer anymore) and that works
well to increase my milk supply.
What also works well is tea made from Fennel seed, Annis seed, and
Cumin. Some people/companies add Lavender.

cu
nicole
Old January 25th 08, 04:32 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Nikki

wrote in message
ups.com...
My cousin has a baby boy just two months ago, she went through C-
section to deliver the baby, she didn't have milk till five days and
now she is complaining of not producing enough milk for her baby. she
gets him to suckle often to follow that demand and supply rule for
breastmilk producation but not much of use. Her son cries a lot and
doctor says that baby is not getting enough feeds. The mom is very
determin to breastfeed exclusively for six months at least. Can anyone
help with idea to improve her breastmilk and avoid top feed??

My advice would be to always put the baby to the breast first and to nurse
the baby as long as he is willing - even if that is 40 minutes. If the baby
wants to nurse every 30 minutes - do it. Do not let the baby go longer then
2-3 hours without offering to nurse. I used to say every two hours but one
of mine would just not nurse that often. He was the one with a weak suck
and he nursed longer and stronger if I left him go the three hours that he
chose.

If the baby is weak, or has a weak suck, he may need to get a little
stronger before he is ready to dump the top off's. I would top off about
three times a day is all. The idea being that as the baby gains strength
and as supply increases due to increased nursing, he will reduce the amount
he takes from the top off. Once he gets down to an ounce, you can stop that
top off. She can also stimulate her let down before putting him to the
breast. I was lucky in that I had twins and the stronger baby stimulated
let down. She could either stimulate let down by hand and then latch the
baby or pump one side while he nurses on the other. She should pump every
time she offers a top off bottle. I wasn't 100% at that but then it wasn't
really a supply issue as much as a weaker suck issue. She should also
make sure his latch is good. No pacifiers.

If he is not currently getting top off's and she is nursing on demand I
would evaluate if he is getting enough feeds like the other poster suggested
(diapers and weight gain) not by crying. PS: Milk coming in on day five
is not out of the ordinary - especially for a first time mom.