Feeling Guilty...

Old August 29th 06, 04:26 AM posted to alt.support.single-parents
xkatx

Default Feeling Guilty...

About a few things...
Is it normal or alright to feel guilty over something, for example, like
food?
I know, obviously, I need to eat as well as everyone else, but I find that I
don't drink milk because the kids need it, as much, if not more, than I do.
Might not be true, but that's how I feel.
I also find that I make enough for supper for all of us to eat whatever, but
I find I eat less to save that food for leftovers the next day (or in a
couple days) and I snack on other small things - like I'll make rice and
chicken for the kids, let them eat what they eat and I'll eat enough to tie
me over and then I'll make a bowl of vegetable soup to save enough chicken
for the kids the next day for them to have a more proper, balanced meal and
diet.

I try and limit my shopping outings... I try and do shopping in one shot for
groceries. I also find that I look for sales, there's very few items I will
pay extra for the real thing (Heinz ketchup and Miracle Whip are 2 things I
can think of off the top of my head that I would rather go without than buy
the cheap stuff) and I find I buy meat on sale and toss it in the freezer
rather than cooking up fresh whatever every day. I still find it hard,
though.

I also sat down earlier to take a look at the bills... ALL are overdue, and
yea, I know I have no one to blame but myself over it. I did call my mom
and asked her if she'd be able to come over, or me go over to her house, to
sit down and go through the bills. By over due, I mean I have 1
disconnection notice and the rest of the bills are waaaay up there - like if
I put it off any longer, they will send disconnection notices for the other
utilities.

Does anyone have any ideas for bills and how to manage them?

I went through them, but I did give up. It kind of made me upset to sit and
go through them and think about them.
The bills I have to pay a Rent, power, phone, Internet, cable, cell
phone, car insurance.
My rent I can't bother trying to change, nor can I bargain with the
insurance company. I have basic PLPD on the car anyways, just enough to
make it legal on the road. I also do need the home phone, and it's
currently as a basic line, no long distance or anything. I do have call
display, which I'm debating on getting rid of or not. That's the one and
only 'extra' I see I have. The power also needs to be as it is.
Before someone jumps on me about the others... (Internet, cable, cell
phone...)
I'm currently locked into a 2 year contract with the Internet. That started
this past December around Christmas, so I'm stuck with the Internet contract
until about December of '07. I was thinking, however, about calling the ISP
and seeing if there is any possible way that I can still live out my
contract for less money (IE, downgrade from the high speed ADSL to a lower
grade ADSL or even possibly dial up - which I both assume are cheaper per
month.) To cut the Internet would mean I would have a $250 charge on my
account, and because the Internet and phone are the same company, same bill,
I really can't do that because they'll cut my phone line if I don't pay
that. To me, a smaller amount each month is easier to manage than a huge
lump sum to pay off or be disconnected.
For the cell phone, again, locked into a contract. To cancel the contract,
I would have to pay whatever is equal to $20 per month per phone for
whatever is left of my contract - that's $40 a month (for 2 phones) for
however much time is left in my contract. I pay only about $50 a month for
both of the phones anyways, so cancelling, would that make any sense at all?
The cable TV (we currently have the digital cable package, which is $1 more
a month than full cable, and I guess you get all these extra channels.) I am
calling the cable company just before the end of the billing period to
downgrade the cable to basic cable only, which is fairly cheap. I hesitate
to just cut the cable completely, as there's a few kids' channels on basic
cable that B watches, and the TV is something that I limit and use more as a
priviledge.

I limit the driving to only when it's necessary. Doctor's appointments, for
one, are a necessary car ride. Groceries are a necessary car ride. If I
need to run errands, I try and do it all in one day, and yes, I do plan my
route out to avoid wasting time, gas and effort by running back and forth,
here and there. We also walk to a lot of places if possible, and I try and
use the bike and trailer, but with 2 kids in the trailer, I do have a hard
time on the bike. Heck, we'd all go together along the river valley trails
and N would take the kids in the trailer behind his bike, and I had enough
trouble keeping up to him with no trailer or kids to pull!

I've also cut down my consumption of garbage. I decided to cut my Pepsi
addiction - I treat myself *maybe* once a week to a small bottle, which is a
huge blow from my 1-2 bottles a day. Also, extras like going out to eat
(even McDonald's drive-thru) and ordering in have been cut down to once a
month if there's the extra cash. I tend to just pick B up a Happy Meal and
have some soup or sandwiches at home for myself on the occasion of eating
out. I felt a bit guilty the other day when I picked up some balls of yarn,
though... I had crocheted (sp?) a baby blanket for A, about the size of a
crib blanket. I wanted to make this blanket to wrap up for a Christmas
present, and I want to do a second baby blanket the same as the one I just
finished for this baby to have a matching (different color, though) baby
blanket. I picked up a big, huge ball to make a blanket for B's Christmas
present, and I kind of felt guilty, even though I had spent not that much
money, and I justified it as it gave me something to do with my time. I
still felt kinda bad doing it but did it anyways...

Should I be feeling this way? Should I not be doing things like getting
yarn for crafts for me on occasion? Should I be eating the soup instead of
pigging out on the chicken and spaghetti? Am I doing everything wrong? Any
ideas or tips for these kinds of situations? My mom has said Wednesday is
good for her, and I know she'll give me an ear full, and then some... I also
know anything she says will probably be true and right, but I kind of want
to try and get some hints or advice, if possible, to be a bit prepared,
maybe have some sort of plan to go in with when she goes through all this
mess with me on Wednesday...

Old August 29th 06, 04:23 PM posted to alt.support.single-parents
Tiffany

"xkatx" wrote in message
About a few things...
Is it normal or alright to feel guilty over something, for example, like
food?

Sorry to say I didn't read your entire post..... got stuff to do right now.

BUT.....

its normal to sacrifice for the children. Why would you feel guilty? Unless
you are 90 lbs.... you do what parents do.

Bills? You pay what you can.... priority them!

Cable?? What the hell do you have cable for?? If you can't pay rent, you
should disconnect the cable. Even if its basic.... that is $10 - 15 a month
towards things you need.

Seems you made many bad decisions.... locking into many contracts. You can
contact the companies and see what they will do but most will say, tough
****. You may be able to find someone to take over your cell phone contract.

Isn't your rent subsidized? So that should already be pretty cheap.

You need to work. Now. Go get a job. Get the kids into a daycare program, I
am sure they have programs that will pay for day care for you.

I wish you much luck. All you can do at this point is learn your lessons.
Many of us been there too.

Old August 29th 06, 07:19 PM posted to alt.support.single-parents
xkatx

"Tiffany" wrote in message

"xkatx" wrote in message
About a few things...
Is it normal or alright to feel guilty over something, for example, like
food?

Sorry to say I didn't read your entire post..... got stuff to do right
now.

BUT.....

its normal to sacrifice for the children. Why would you feel guilty?
Unless you are 90 lbs.... you do what parents do.

I also take into consideration that I need to eat something fairly normal as
far as a diet goes. Normally, I don't mind eating whatever, but while
pregnant, I find that I actually *need* to eat, more than I want to. I'm
going to see if I can google some fairly easy, cheap, healthy meals during
pregnancy. That thought did just come to mind. There has to be something.

Bills? You pay what you can.... priority them!

THIS is what I know I will need my mom's help on the most. Not help with
her giving me money, but her help with breaking down bills and budgeting the
money I do have.

Cable?? What the hell do you have cable for?? If you can't pay rent, you
should disconnect the cable. Even if its basic.... that is $10 - 15 a
month towards things you need.

Rent is paid, insurance is paid, and that's set to come out of my account
every month on a set date. Right now, well, at the next billing period, the
cable is gone. I just don't like the pro-rated idea, as the way it will
turn out, I will basically have to pay the same amount as a full month -
they say they need about a week to do any changes, which will leave a whole
savings of nothing really, as next billing period for me starts right after.

Seems you made many bad decisions.... locking into many contracts. You can
contact the companies and see what they will do but most will say, tough
****. You may be able to find someone to take over your cell phone
contract.

As far as the power goes, I had no choice but to go with a contract. I need
power anyways. I casually asked around to see if I could find anyone
willing or wanting to take over the cell phone contract. At that point, I
couldn't find anyone interested, but didn't actually search seriously. It
doesn't seem like many people who want cell phones are without a phone.
Seems everyone has one already or they refuse to have a cell phone and do
not want one. Maybe I can offer a real good deal with my contract to
someone - take the contract for free and I'll give you, um... some nice
house plants!
If I could even pass off just one phone of the 2 on contract, it would help
quite a bit. I'm debating on cutting the home phone line (no contract there
or any disconnection fees/penalties) and just keeping the cell phone, but
I'm not sure if I like the idea of really no phone during the day (as the
cell is used rarely during the day due to X amount of 'free' minutes)
Something like giving the contract to someone else is something I had been
looking into. I will start looking, a lot more seriously this time, though,
and see if there's someone who wants a contract that isn't a full term.

Isn't your rent subsidized? So that should already be pretty cheap.

Yes, it is.

You need to work. Now. Go get a job. Get the kids into a daycare program,
I am sure they have programs that will pay for day care for you.

B starts school right away here, so he's gone for the morning M-F. A can go
in daycare, and there's subsidized daycare available. That means 1 full
time and 1 part time (afternoon) daycare spots I would need, both would
definitely be subsidized. No one will give me a job for a month or two. 32
weeks pregnant and looking for some type - any type - of job doesn't go over
very well. I already have plans for September '07 to go back to school full
time (2 year program). At that point, B will be in school full time, A will
be 2 and this next one will be 11 months. I have contacted this daycare 2
blocks away from home that says they offer childcare from 0-12 years of age.
I have asked to be put on the waiting list to have 2 baby full time spots
and 1 6 year old part time (after school) spot available for that September.
I *could* see about starting school when this baby is 6 months old (that's
considered 0 years old, the youngest ANY daycare will take an infant, but
most are 1 year of age as standard mat leave is 1 year) Starting school
when this one is 6 months means in like April-ish, which is when school
winds down and ends. Starting in September makes the most sense, and it
gives me time to look into school loans or whatever is out there as an
option, as well as getting everything together, doing as much research as
possible.

I wish you much luck. All you can do at this point is learn your lessons.
Many of us been there too.

Yes, that's why I asked. I know there's people here who have, at one point,
been in a similar situation. I've been calling around, and my mom has been
as well to help me out as she seems to have better access to what kind of
resources are out there, and seeing what I can take and use to my advantage.
One thing in the immediate future I am looking at is this support program
for low income families. They offer support to families as far as life
goes - budgeting and stretching a dollar, time management, generally learned
parenting and life skills. The intake lady I need to talk to is out of the
office until September 5th. There's nothing I can do about that but wait
until she's back.

Old August 30th 06, 12:43 AM posted to alt.support.single-parents
Tiffany

"xkatx" wrote in message
About a few things...
Is it normal or alright to feel guilty over something, for example, like
food?

snipped

Things may be very different there then here so not sure what all we suggest
applies. Kate of course has good ideas.

I for one, forgot that you were pregnant so make sure to eat healthy.

There are programs for prego women here.... called WIC or something. Gives
vouchers for milk, cheese, ect.

Electric companies have programs to help low income families... check with
them. (I assume when you say POWER you are talking your electric)

Contract issues..... what kate suggested might work depending. I have heard
ppl try anything and everything to get out of a cell phone contract with no
luck. But the internet contract... ask about a suspension... tell em why.

Old April 22nd 13, 11:19 AM
nila11 nila11 is offline
Junior Member

Tiffany,Your post is full of the detail about “feeling guilty”. Thanks of giving for your all ideas with all community members. Good luck my dear...

mothers day sayings
short mothers day sayings
Old August 31st 06, 06:08 AM posted to alt.support.single-parents
Bev

xkatx wrote:
About a few things...
Is it normal or alright to feel guilty over something, for example, like
food?
I know, obviously, I need to eat as well as everyone else, but I find that I
don't drink milk because the kids need it, as much, if not more, than I do.
Might not be true, but that's how I feel.
I also find that I make enough for supper for all of us to eat whatever, but
I find I eat less to save that food for leftovers the next day (or in a
couple days) and I snack on other small things - like I'll make rice and
chicken for the kids, let them eat what they eat and I'll eat enough to tie
me over and then I'll make a bowl of vegetable soup to save enough chicken
for the kids the next day for them to have a more proper, balanced meal and
diet.

Kat is there a program where you live called WIC ? (Women Infants and
Children)
In Pa there is this program which my daughter/we have used to help
supply formula ,baby foods ,milk, cereal ,juice ,eggs cheese and
peanut butter .

you can look into that for you and the children.

I try and limit my shopping outings... I try and do shopping in one shot for
groceries. I also find that I look for sales, there's very few items I will
pay extra for the real thing (Heinz ketchup and Miracle Whip are 2 things I
can think of off the top of my head that I would rather go without than buy
the cheap stuff)

looking for sales would be a given no matter what your situation is
right?
Maybe you should go without the ketchup and mayo then ....Ya know I and
many others have been where you are at times and even over the past 5-6
years I had found myself and younger daughter homeless after Gayle
died. We lost everything and I mean everything kiddo. We learned
quickly to be grateful for the "Cheap stuff"

and I find I buy meat on sale and toss it in the freezer
rather than cooking up fresh whatever every day. I still find it hard,
though.

There is nothing wrong with sale meat that is frozen , just remember to
cook it the day you defrost it.

I also sat down earlier to take a look at the bills... ALL are overdue, and
yea, I know I have no one to blame but myself over it. I did call my mom
and asked her if she'd be able to come over, or me go over to her house, to
sit down and go through the bills. By over due, I mean I have 1
disconnection notice and the rest of the bills are waaaay up there - like if
I put it off any longer, they will send disconnection notices for the other
utilities.

Does anyone have any ideas for bills and how to manage them?

Others have offered you the same advice I would on this. We fell behind
on our electric last year and I called the elec co and we worked out an
arrangement like the one I saw someone suggest to you here.We pay the
current and a small amount (we pay 15.00) on the past due amount each
month , thius will secure your elec. Try and do the same with the
others.

[...]

ugh......My granddaughter did not suffer any at all when we shut off
our cable to allow us to catch up with the bill. We played DVDand VCR
tapes of disney flicks for TV time. When my unemployment ran dry we
knew we had to make adjustments and this is one of the things we did to
aviod having items shut off on us we took the bull by the horns and
called and shut them off, whatever it was that was not a necessity.

Do not look at this as a pemanent problem it is not , right now you
have to sacrifice to survive. Once you have the baby and can work out
child care and get a job things will still be tough but you will be in
charge and in control of where and how you spend the money and slowly
with discipline you will make it. You NEED the bare necessities right
now, a roof over your heads ,food , elec. water. Focus on this. The
contracts will have to wait. At least if you are able to pay on the
contract early termination once it is paid off you will not have that
unecessary debt every month taking away from the basic needs .If you
cant pay them right now OH WELL! The sooner you cancel this stuff the
sooner the overdue amount will stop building higher and higher. Yes it
makes a world of sense to cancel the things that are not needed to
survive ASAP!

I limit the driving to only when it's necessary. Doctor's appointments, for
one, are a necessary car ride. Groceries are a necessary car ride. If I
need to run errands, I try and do it all in one day, and yes, I do plan my
route out to avoid wasting time, gas and effort by running back and forth,
here and there. We also walk to a lot of places if possible, and I try and
use the bike and trailer, but with 2 kids in the trailer, I do have a hard
time on the bike. Heck, we'd all go together along the river valley trails
and N would take the kids in the trailer behind his bike, and I had enough
trouble keeping up to him with no trailer or kids to pull!

Yes I agree except for the trailer ! Girl how pregnant are you ? NO
trailer pulling O.K. ?!?!?!?!?!

I've also cut down my consumption of garbage. I decided to cut my Pepsi
addiction - I treat myself *maybe* once a week to a small bottle, which is a
huge blow from my 1-2 bottles a day.

Ummmm....O.K. Now you make me mad like my daughter made me mad!
Your baby does not thrive very well on Junk. Soda is Junk indeed , you
should be drinking juices and milk and water. I really hope there is a
program out there that can help you eat right for both yourand your
unborn babies heatlh.

[...]

If you cant afford to feed yourself or children you do not spend money
on yarn period. You feel guilty dont do it your intuition is usually
right .

Should I be feeling this way? Should I not be doing things like getting
yarn for crafts for me on occasion? Should I be eating the soup instead of
pigging out on the chicken and spaghetti? Am I doing everything wrong? Any
ideas or tips for these kinds of situations?

I think you really know the answers to these Kat..........You need to
watch the sodium intake ...soups are loaded with sodium ...you need to
eat healthy .

My mom has said Wednesday is
good for her, and I know she'll give me an ear full, and then some... I also
know anything she says will probably be true and right, but I kind of want
to try and get some hints or advice, if possible, to be a bit prepared,
maybe have some sort of plan to go in with when she goes through all this
mess with me on Wednesday...

Kat people make mistakes you made a mistake trusting Norm. If you can
and I think from what I have read before about your relationship with
your parents you can, then ask for help from them ,buckle down ,respect
what they do for you and do not make them regret helping you. I realise
I am a little late in my response and I hope things are working out.
What decisions have you made about all this so far?
Bev

Old September 7th 06, 01:51 AM posted to alt.support.single-parents
Kim

"xkatx" wrote in message
About a few things...
Is it normal or alright to feel guilty over something, for example, like
food?

Yes completely normal...

I know, obviously, I need to eat as well as everyone else, but I find that
I don't drink milk because the kids need it, as much, if not more, than I
do.

Calcium tablets work... That's what I did...

Might not be true, but that's how I feel.
I also find that I make enough for supper for all of us to eat whatever,
but I find I eat less to save that food for leftovers the next day (or in
a couple days) and I snack on other small things - like I'll make rice and
chicken for the kids, let them eat what they eat and I'll eat enough to
tie me over and then I'll make a bowl of vegetable soup to save enough
chicken for the kids the next day for them to have a more proper, balanced
meal and diet.

Nothing wrong with that nor anything abnormal about that at all...

I try and limit my shopping outings... I try and do shopping in one shot
for groceries. I also find that I look for sales, there's very few items
I will pay extra for the real thing (Heinz ketchup and Miracle Whip are 2
things I can think of off the top of my head that I would rather go
without than buy the cheap stuff) and I find I buy meat on sale and toss
it in the freezer rather than cooking up fresh whatever every day. I
still find it hard, though.

That's the only way to shop... I'm with you on the miracle whip tho LOL

I also sat down earlier to take a look at the bills... ALL are overdue,
and yea, I know I have no one to blame but myself over it. I did call my
mom and asked her if she'd be able to come over, or me go over to her
house, to sit down and go through the bills. By over due, I mean I have 1
disconnection notice and the rest of the bills are waaaay up there - like
if I put it off any longer, they will send disconnection notices for the
other utilities.

Hmmmmm take your bills into the nearest welfare office... I know they will
assist you with utilities... You don't need your mom to fix you... YOU need
to fix you... That includes your bills...

Does anyone have any ideas for bills and how to manage them?

Yup for now pay the necessary ones... Call up the collectors and arrange a
payment schedule with them... Put a little on each bill if possible...
Keep the roof over your head and the utilities food in your tummies and
limit everything else... Get your bottom into the nearest welfare office for
help if you don't have enough for the necessary bills

Old March 14th 11, 07:33 AM
mort03crow mort03crow is offline
Banned

best information
i like this post
Old March 22nd 11, 07:33 AM
nike10kelen nike10kelen is offline
Banned

but I don't feel guilty for any kind of foods
i like all foods and also i like Milk so much
it is best for our health
Old March 24th 11, 09:32 AM
azizitehram azizitehram is offline
Banned

milk is best for our health
and also we should eat all kinds of healthy foods