Scheduled nap time for infants

Old April 20th 04, 06:58 PM
Missy in Indiana

Default Scheduled nap time for infants

If it's possible, do you have any suggestions on how to accomplish this? Or
is it not worth it until they are older?

I would absolutely have them on a sleeping schedule. Some are pro or con
schedules. Me? I love them...and I think my babies do, too.

I'm kind of wondering if they might be waking up a little late. Of course, I
know many families who choose to put their kids to bed late and wake up late
due to spending time w/them after work, etc. (We did this when they were
younger because I'm a night person. But, I paid for it not too long ago when
they needed to be places by 9am on some days.) If you have the flexibility, I
might recommend putting them to bed earlier and getting them up earlier. This
will allow for two really good naps.

Keep in mind that it will take time to get them all synched to your clock
The first week may be a bit daunting. But, if you really are interested in
getting them all sleeping at the same time, the short term inconveniences are
certainly worth the many long term advantages.

Good luck!

Missy in Indiana http://hometown.aol.com/mhrust/overviewforng.html
Morgan Olivia & Julia Lucille 4/28/01 (YAY!)

Old April 20th 04, 08:16 PM
H Schinske

Gayle ) wrote:

My triplets turn 7 mo. old this Friday. Is it possible to have them on a
nap schedule? (e.g. It's 10 o'clock, time for nap)

I'll tell you, what I found was that after the newborn period, my kids fell
into a routine quite easily, and it was later in the year that routines started
*not* working so well for us. But everyone else I know (except Rotten People
with Perfect Babies who Always Sleep ;-) ) had the opposite experience, that it
was no use even thinking about a routine until the second half of the first
year.

I know, I know, no help at all, huh?

Things that did help: doing much the same things in the same order every day,
so that whether or not the nap was at the same *time* it was always after
activity X; having a small routine thing that we always did when putting the
baby to bed (with my son it was wrapping him in a particular blanket).

With three babies, of course you raise the odds that at least one is teething
or otherwise out of sorts a lot of the time, so it may be harder to establish a
"normal" day, but that's just a guess. It's also probably easier with one baby
to follow its cues and know when it's getting tired before it's really obvious.
Or maybe I just got better at it the second time around, don't know, but
certainly I found it somewhat easier with my singleton.

--Helen

Old April 20th 04, 09:22 PM
Paula Johnson

OK, now I have a little time. We recently went through this, so I know
how desperate you're probably feeling. My life has been so much nicer
since we got onto a good napping schedule.

We started the girls on a sleep schedule when they were 9 months/6
months adjusted. I realized after reading Weissbluth's book that they
weren't sleeping well because they were overtired ("sleep begets
sleep" is a favorite phrase of his).

To get the girls on a decent schedule, we had to move everything
earlier: wake time, nap times, bedtime. They get up no later than 7:00
am (usually they are awake around 6:30). If they're not up at 7, I get
them up to "protect" the morning nap, which is between 9-9:30. They
usually sleep until 10:30 or 11:00. Afternoon nap starts from 1-1:30,
and they generally sleep until 2:30 or 3:00. Bedtime is 7:00-7:30.

The most important things we've found -- a bit of protest crying is to
be expected, as the kids realize that it's much more fun to be *up*.
A routine before naps and bed, like reading, nursing/bottle, singing,
rocking -- whatever helps the kids relax -- can help signal them that
it's sleep time. Also, if you need to, put them each in a different
room. Mine sleep overnight in the same room, but one naps in a Pack N
Play in my bedroom -- they were just winding each other up at naptime.

Good luck!

--
Paula
Mom to Olivia and Cassie (b. 4/8/03)

Old April 20th 04, 09:33 PM
Ellen Kmetz

Also, if you need to, put them each in a different
room. Mine sleep overnight in the same room, but one naps in a Pack N
Play in my bedroom -- they were just winding each other up at naptime.

Good point, Paula, that I forgot to mention. We did the same thing for
naps...one in his crib and one in the Pack 'n Play in another room.

Ellen
--------
Erin 6/26/95
Bradley & Alex 10/5/00