A Solution to Custody and Support

Old October 9th 03, 04:56 PM
Virginia

Default A Solution to Custody and Support

every couple of years? I went to 8 elementary schools all but 1 before
4th grade.

AZ Astrea wrote:
Well, perhaps the people I know who were military brats just got lucky.
Most of them spent time in other countries/places like Okinawa and all over
Europe. Many of them speak several languages due to being exposed to them
when they were young enough to pick them up. I was always envious of them.
We had a chance to move to Holland when I was about seven but I was pretty
sickly as a kid so we didn't get to go. Darnnit!

I did however change schools a lot. More than some of my brat friends. I
went to 1st & 2nd at one school, 3rd at another school, 4th at another
school in a different city, 5th at another school, 6th at another school and
then 7th through 12th in the same school. The only one I remember feeling
uncomfortable in was the 3rd grade, but then, they were weird!
I didn't have much trouble acedemically but then they wanted to put me in
the 5th grade when I was in 3rd, (my Mom wouldn't let them, I wish she had)
and I was reading college level in the 3rd grade. If I had been exposed to
different languages during that time I'm sure I would have picked them up
easily.

It's a shame your experience was so negative. I have a couple of friends
with similar experiences to yours and some who just hated having to make new
friends every couple of years. I guess each kid is different.

~AZ~

"Virginia" wrote in message
t...

I am a military brat and we moved from the south north back to the south
and back north again. Science and history moved at a faster pace than
up north and math moved more quickly up north. when my dad retired it
took 6 yrs before we learned anything new inscience (thereby making
science a boring class) and had to be tutored for 2 years in math to
catch up. The school actually labeld us as LD in mathematice when we're
both gifted we'd just not been taught yet. We had trouble making
friends and a study referenced in one of my dad's naval magazines
referenced that 48% of navy brats were having educational delays due to
moving schools so often where as only 2% of the civilian population had
the same difficulties. This very study is why over 22% of military
families currently homeschool. Yes we adapted more quickly socially
than most children our age but the question becomes which is more
important to a parent, academics or friends.

AZ Astrea wrote:

"Virginia" wrote in message
a.net...

actually there are different graduation requirements for different
schools, districts and states. WHat if your child was adding in one
school while the children in her grade in the school she'll attend next
year are learning to multiply. the second school will assume she's just
lagging behind in mathematics and she'll return to the other school and
by the time she's back at school number two again she's three or four
years behind by then. that is my point about the switching schools so
often that it leads to academic problems due to a lack of continuity.

-----------------------------
I'm not sure that I understand what all the furor is over a child

changing

schools. I have lots and lots of friends who were 'military brats' and
spent their school years traveling all over the world and going to new
schools. The one thing they seem to agree on is that they learned to be
more outgoing and assertive due to the need to make friends rather

quickly.

Yes, they did like it when they were able to stay at one place for a

longer

period of time, but they still seem to feel that being exposed to

different

people and cultures made up for that. And this is with them pretty much
knowing that they wouldn't be returning to the same school again.

As for academics, again that apparantly wasn't a problem for them

either.

Most of them seemed to feel that they were at least a bit ahead of the

class

but these are kids of career military parents. They knew they wouldn't

be

in one place for a long time and so they and their parents prepared for
that.

I don't know if Clark's custody situation would work for anybody but he

and

his but he's welcome to it. Divorce and all that goes with it is

difficult

enough and if you find something that works for you (and ex and kid) and
everybody is 'happy' with it then go for it. I just wish the government
would get out of it and let people work it out between themselves when

they

are able to.

~AZ~

Clark Simmons wrote:

As another who switched schools frequently, let ME clue YOU in on

something.

There is no need to change schools more often than at the beginning of

the

school year. It's really no different than going into a new classroom

at the

current school.

Old October 14th 03, 11:15 PM
AZ Astrea

Wow! You went to a different school each year and then again in the middle
of each year?
Ok, I acquiesce, changing schools that frequently can't be good for
learning.

~AZ~