subchorionic hematoma--anyone know anything?

Old October 31st 05, 12:31 PM
hobbes

Default subchorionic hematoma--anyone know anything?

No, it's not me. But one of my best friends is currently 7 weeks pregnant
and has been bleeding off and on since implantation. She had an ultrasound
last week and a subchorionic hematoma (blood clot in the uterus) was
detected. She was told it measures 2.8 x 3.1 x 1.4 cm and is located on the
"inferior margin of the gestational sac."

From my google searches, it sounds like her chances of miscarriage depend
pretty largely on how big the clot is and on where it's located, but I don't
know if her clot is considered big or not, and I don't know if the location
is a concern.

Anyone have any experience or knowledge which might help her?

Her OB said that there's nothing to be done but bedrest, but even online
info seems conflicted on that point. She has two small children and no
family close by, so bedrest is not an easy option.

Thanks for any info (or happy outcomes) you might know of.

--
Jodi
SAHM to Oliver (4 years),

Old October 31st 05, 01:32 PM
Andrea S

"hobbes" wrote in message ...

No, it's not me. But one of my best friends is currently 7 weeks pregnant
and has been bleeding off and on since implantation. She had an
ultrasound
last week and a subchorionic hematoma (blood clot in the uterus) was
detected. She was told it measures 2.8 x 3.1 x 1.4 cm and is located on
the
"inferior margin of the gestational sac."

From my google searches, it sounds like her chances of miscarriage depend
pretty largely on how big the clot is and on where it's located, but I
don't
know if her clot is considered big or not, and I don't know if the
location
is a concern.

Anyone have any experience or knowledge which might help her?

Her OB said that there's nothing to be done but bedrest, but even online
info seems conflicted on that point. She has two small children and no
family close by, so bedrest is not an easy option.

Thanks for any info (or happy outcomes) you might know of.

--
Jodi

I had one with number 4. It was found when I was 5 weeks pregnant, as I had
some bleeding and one-sided pain. I was told I would miscarry as the clot
was so big. It was also between the placental site and lining of my uterus.
I was told not to come back unless I was losing the pregnancy, or I reached
2 more weeks. 2 weeks later the clot was much bigger, and I wasn't seen
again till 11 weeks, where it had vanished! There was a big scar left behind
and it was the most stressful time , but that baby is now 2 and a half.

Some women have real issues with them with very heavy bleeding, but it was
ok for me.

Andrea - mom of 6 latest baby Erin Elizabeth 5 days old.

Old October 31st 05, 02:24 PM
alath

The location issue is in relation to the location of the placenta, so
"inferior margin of the sac" doesn't tell us much. Placental location
is difficult to determine at 7 weeks anyway.

The mean sac diameter at 7 weeks is 2.4 cm so the dimensions you give
would represent a moderate size hematoma; about the same size as the
sac itself. Small ones just look like a dark crescent shape along one
side of the sac.

I am not aware of any effective medical therapy for this. I am curious
what your search showed, though, and who was advocating what.

I have seen many of these things resolve and turn out to be a viable
pregnancy. This is going to be one of those wait and pray kind of
things.

Old October 31st 05, 02:48 PM
Purple Gal

Hello,

I had a subchorionic hemorrhage early in my pregnancy too. I basically bled
for the first 4 months of my pregnancy. My hemorrhage was about 1 CM big at
the fundus but it seemed bigger with all of the bleeding!! One night it was
so bad, my hubby took me to the hospital, as I was soaking a couple of pads
an hour. Anyway, it healed up and I stopped bleeding at about 18 weeks or
so and hasn't started back up. I am now 36 weeks 4 days pregnant and there
are no signs of the bleeding. Good luck! I know how scary it can be.

Adela

"hobbes" wrote in message
No, it's not me. But one of my best friends is currently 7 weeks pregnant
and has been bleeding off and on since implantation. She had an
ultrasound
last week and a subchorionic hematoma (blood clot in the uterus) was
detected. She was told it measures 2.8 x 3.1 x 1.4 cm and is located on
the
"inferior margin of the gestational sac."

From my google searches, it sounds like her chances of miscarriage depend

Old October 31st 05, 05:09 PM
hobbes

"Andrea S" wrote in message
.uk...

I had one with number 4. It was found when I was 5 weeks pregnant, as I

had
some bleeding and one-sided pain. I was told I would miscarry as the clot
was so big. It was also between the placental site and lining of my

uterus.
I was told not to come back unless I was losing the pregnancy, or I

reached
2 more weeks. 2 weeks later the clot was much bigger, and I wasn't seen
again till 11 weeks, where it had vanished! There was a big scar left

behind
and it was the most stressful time , but that baby is now 2 and a half.

Thanks for sharing, Andrea. I'm going to make a point of sharing all
good-outcome stories with her. I'm glad yours turned out to be nothing.

--
Jodi
SAHM to Oliver (4 years),

Old October 31st 05, 05:11 PM
hobbes

"alath" wrote in message
oups.com...
The location issue is in relation to the location of the placenta, so
"inferior margin of the sac" doesn't tell us much. Placental location
is difficult to determine at 7 weeks anyway.

The mean sac diameter at 7 weeks is 2.4 cm so the dimensions you give
would represent a moderate size hematoma; about the same size as the
sac itself. Small ones just look like a dark crescent shape along one
side of the sac.

I am not aware of any effective medical therapy for this. I am curious
what your search showed, though, and who was advocating what.

Well, it was mostly some studies saying that bedrest made a difference, and
some doctors saying that it's no big deal at all and these things generally
go away by themselves, so don't do anything that you don't usually do.

I have seen many of these things resolve and turn out to be a viable
pregnancy. This is going to be one of those wait and pray kind of
things.

Thanks for the info. All I know is what she told me--and she hasn't even
been able to talk to her OB personally yet--just got through to the nurse,
and that was after repeated calls. I hate that she's going through this,
but you're right: waiting and praying is what we'll do.

--
Jodi
SAHM to Oliver (4 years),

Old October 31st 05, 05:12 PM
Kmom

I've had at least two,including with this pregnancy. FWIU, there isn't
much to be done and that bedrest doesn't do a lot but maybe assuage
guilt if a miscarriage does occur. My midwife encouraged me to take it
easy and pelvic rest.
I'm 11 weeks and this baby is just fine and my other sub-chorionic
hematoma baby is now 6. WIth her, I lost a golf ball sized clot one
night and still, she was just fine.

Karen

Old October 31st 05, 05:13 PM
hobbes

"Purple Gal" wrote in message
Hello,

I had a subchorionic hemorrhage early in my pregnancy too. I basically

bled
for the first 4 months of my pregnancy. My hemorrhage was about 1 CM big

at
the fundus but it seemed bigger with all of the bleeding!! One night it

was
so bad, my hubby took me to the hospital, as I was soaking a couple of

pads
an hour. Anyway, it healed up and I stopped bleeding at about 18 weeks or
so and hasn't started back up. I am now 36 weeks 4 days pregnant and

there
are no signs of the bleeding. Good luck! I know how scary it can be.

Thanks for sharing, Adela. I'm glad your situation has turned out so well.
It is frightening, and I hate that she's going through this--especially when
my pregnancy seems so normal so far.

Were you advised to go on bedrest? That seems to be the big question right
now--she's been told that that's all she can do, but from our research, it
almost seems like they don't have anything else to offer, so they just
suggest bedrest.

--
Jodi
SAHM to Oliver (4 years),

Old October 31st 05, 05:30 PM

hobbes wrote:
No, it's not me. But one of my best friends is currently 7 weeks pregnant
and has been bleeding off and on since implantation. She had an ultrasound
last week and a subchorionic hematoma (blood clot in the uterus) was
detected. She was told it measures 2.8 x 3.1 x 1.4 cm and is located on the
"inferior margin of the gestational sac."

A good friend of mine had one that resolved. Her son was perfectly
healthy and full term; he's now seven.

--Helen

Old October 31st 05, 07:44 PM
rangitotogirl

"hobbes" wrote in message
No, it's not me. But one of my best friends is currently 7 weeks pregnant
and has been bleeding off and on since implantation. She had an
ultrasound
last week and a subchorionic hematoma (blood clot in the uterus) was
detected. She was told it measures 2.8 x 3.1 x 1.4 cm and is located on
the
"inferior margin of the gestational sac."

From my google searches, it sounds like her chances of miscarriage depend
pretty largely on how big the clot is and on where it's located, but I
don't
know if her clot is considered big or not, and I don't know if the
location
is a concern.

Anyone have any experience or knowledge which might help her?

Her OB said that there's nothing to be done but bedrest, but even online
info seems conflicted on that point. She has two small children and no
family close by, so bedrest is not an easy option.

Thanks for any info (or happy outcomes) you might know of.

A friend of mine had one and she was one of the unlucky ones who lost her
baby at 15 weeks. It wasn't the hematoma that did it, but she developed an
infection as a result and then had premature rupture of membranes. Her baby
was found to be perfect and it was the infection that caused it. I know her
strong advice would be to get checked for infections if you are experiencing
hematomas. Her infection was asymptomatic so she wasn't even aware of it.