36 week visit

Old November 6th 04, 06:50 PM
ModernMiko

"Ericka Kammerer" wrote in message
ModernMiko wrote:

That's what I was told about the IV. It's for in case they need to go
ahead and do the emergency c/s.

The odds of that are very, very small. Personally, I felt
comfortable risking that (figuring they'd get the IV placed quickly
if they needed to--after all, they do that with accident victims
all the time). I can understand if others would rather be more
conservative, but that was my comfort level. Basically, the only
time it would be critical to do it really fast would be if there
was a placental abruption or other really drastic something or
other. They won't do the version if things don't look good (baby
is in a bad spot relative to the placenta, baby tangled up in
the cord, etc.) to reduce the already very small risk of that.
*IF* there are any complications at all, the one that is most
likely is that it will rupture your membranes. If that happens,
you'll end up delivering shortly, but it's certainly not a time
critical emergency where there'd be a danger if an IV wasn't
already placed.

That's my feeling also.

He's definitely high...all of my bulge is right under my breasts and I am
a tall girl so it's not like there is no room downward. Also the amniotic
fluid levels were good today.

That all sounds very good.

I'm hoping so.

I'm just wondering if he might be a bit big to turn. DS#1 was 8 lbs 5.4
oz when he was born at 39w4d (accord to LMP) or 40w4d (accord to early
u/s).

Don't sweat the too big part too much. My first was 7lbs 2oz,
my second was 9lbs 6oz. My third, who was the one who was turned,
ended up being 8lbs 2oz, and she turned lickety split. I'd rather
turn a bigger baby who wasn't way down in the pelvis than a smaller
baby who was.

Best wishes,
Ericka

Thanks for your experiences Ericka. It helps to know others have gone
through this :-)

--
JennL
DS 06/26/98

aka CatnipSlayer @ livin-it-up.net
--
Leader of the Cult of Worshippers of BiPolar Long-Haired Sexy Anime Guys
with Swords

Old November 6th 04, 06:56 PM
ModernMiko

"Leslie" wrote in message
I won't repeat all the good information that Ericka has already supplied,
but
wanted to offer a word of hope in that my second baby went from head down
breech the day he before he was born (yes, that was BAD, but at least it
shows
it can happen and he was a big, big baby). And I know someone else whose
baby
turned the day before her section was scheduled. If Ericka didn't suggest
visualization, I would try that as well.

Leslie

Emily (2/4/91)
Jake (1/27/94)
Teddy (2/15/95)
William (3/5/01 -- VBA3C, 13 lbs. 5 oz.)
and Lorelei, expected 11/2/04

Thanks Leslie. That's good to hear. I found some sites that mentioned
visualization so I am definitely doing that. Plus it calms me. I've been
kind of a wreck this past week anyways because I keep having horrible dreams
about me dying or the baby dying. I know it's not unusual to have bad dreams
but the news yesterday didn't help me to relax much. I'm still stressing
about how much to work or if to work at all after the baby comes. We decided
to take our house off of the market for at least 2-3 mos as I just can't
deal with that stress right now. That's helped a bit. But it also seems that
DH has been held over at work more (he ended up with 25 hrs OT the last 2 wk
pay period). We're both off Mon and planning to start getting baby things
ready. I've already gone through DS#1's clothes and DH is going to paint and
set up the crib. Plus we got our new car seat yesterday so that was exciting
:-) Of course, you're looking at an any time now situation which has to be
exciting and frustrating at the same time :-) *hugs*

Old November 7th 04, 12:52 AM
Leslie

JennL said:

That's good to hear. I found some sites that mentioned
visualization so I am definitely doing that. Plus it calms me.

LOL. Visualisation calms me so much that I usually fall asleep!

I've been
kind of a wreck this past week anyways because I keep having horrible dreams
about me dying or the baby dying. I know it's not unusual to have bad dreams
but the news yesterday didn't help me to relax much.

Oh, I'm so sorry. :-(

I'm still stressing
about how much to work or if to work at all after the baby comes. We decided
to take our house off of the market for at least 2-3 mos as I just can't
deal with that stress right now.

I think that's wise--to eliminate as much stress as you can.

That's helped a bit. But it also seems that
DH has been held over at work more (he ended up with 25 hrs OT the last 2 wk
pay period). We're both off Mon and planning to start getting baby things
ready. I've already gone through DS#1's clothes and DH is going to paint and
set up the crib. Plus we got our new car seat yesterday so that was exciting
:-)

If you are like me, doing all that preparation will help you feel less
stressed. My anxiety is definitely reduced now that I can look around at a
clean house with all the candles lighted. :-)

Of course, you're looking at an any time now situation which has to be
exciting and frustrating at the same time :-) *hugs*

That's it exactly. I'm afraid to get excited until the pains start!

Leslie

Emily (2/4/91)
Jake (1/27/94)
Teddy (2/15/95)
William (3/5/01 -- VBA3C, 13 lbs. 5 oz.)
and Lorelei, expected 11/2/04

"Children come trailing clouds of glory from God, which is their home."
~ William Wordsworth

Old November 7th 04, 11:30 PM
Sarah Vaughan

In message , Ericka Kammerer
writes
Also, some doctors will suggest induction immediately
following a successful version. I think they figure you're
there, you're full term, they know the baby is head down, so
they might as well go ahead. Personally, I'd skip that.
The overwhelming majority of babies will stay head down after
a successful version (mine did for more than two weeks before
she came on her own in a nice, easy, short labor).

Don't have exact figures to hand, but I'm betting the chances of an
induction at 38 weeks being unsuccessful and hence leading to a section
are actually higher than the chances of a baby turning back to breech
after a successful version and hence leading to a section. Which would
make it totally nonsensical to induce following a version.

All the best,

Sarah

--
"I once requested an urgent admission for a homeopath who had become depressed
and taken a massive underdose" - Phil Peverley

Old November 8th 04, 01:05 AM
ModernMiko

"Sarah Vaughan" wrote in message
[...]

Thanks for your input Sarah. My mother was induced when she had me (due to
her doctor going on vacation! - it was the late 60's *rolls eyes*). She had
a horrid time of it. Almost everyone I have known who was induced whether
they ended up vaginal or c/s had a horrid time of it. I cannot help but
think it would be more likely to have a c/s with induction because your body
isn't ready yet or else it would have gone into labor. I've been doing the
exercises and I feel like the bulge under my breasts isn't as full and hard
and big as it was a couple of days ago. Of course, it probably is wishful
thinking but we'll find out on Thurs I guess....

Old November 8th 04, 01:56 AM
Ericka Kammerer

Sarah Vaughan wrote:

In message , Ericka Kammerer
writes

Also, some doctors will suggest induction immediately
following a successful version. I think they figure you're
there, you're full term, they know the baby is head down, so
they might as well go ahead. Personally, I'd skip that.
The overwhelming majority of babies will stay head down after
a successful version (mine did for more than two weeks before
she came on her own in a nice, easy, short labor).

Don't have exact figures to hand, but I'm betting the chances of an
induction at 38 weeks being unsuccessful and hence leading to a section
are actually higher than the chances of a baby turning back to breech
after a successful version and hence leading to a section. Which would
make it totally nonsensical to induce following a version.

Well, that's why *I* gave them my best why-are-you-talking-
crazy look when the nurses asked me if I was going to stick around
for an induction afterwards ;-) Still, seems like a lot of doctors
in the US operate this way routinely (if the do versions at all).
Bizarre.

Best wishes,
Ericka

Old November 8th 04, 03:35 PM
Sarah Vaughan

In message rDzjd.1742$sD1.668@trnddc02, ModernMiko
writes
Thanks for your input Sarah. My mother was induced when she had me (due
to her doctor going on vacation! - it was the late 60's *rolls eyes*).
She had a horrid time of it. Almost everyone I have known who was
induced whether they ended up vaginal or c/s had a horrid time of it. I
cannot help but think it would be more likely to have a c/s with
induction because your body isn't ready yet or else it would have gone
into labor.

When I did my obstetrics attachment (1996 - early '97), the figures I
was given were that 8% of spontaneously-occuring labours end up in a
c-section, but 25% of induced labours do (and another 25% end up as an
instrumental vaginal delivery). The statistics have probably changed
over the years (sadly, CS's are now more common even with spontaneous
deliveries) but the general idea is most likely still the same. Also,
that's an overall figure - I would have thought that inducing at 38
weeks is more likely to end up in a section than inducing later, since
your body's less likely to be primed for labour at that point.

I've been doing the exercises and I feel like the bulge under my
breasts isn't as full and hard and big as it was a couple of days ago.
Of course, it probably is wishful thinking but we'll find out on Thurs
I guess....

Good luck! And even if your baby hasn't turned by then, hopefully
they'll be able to turn him or her.

All the best,

Sarah

--
"I once requested an urgent admission for a homeopath who had become depressed
and taken a massive underdose" - Phil Peverley

Anemia and 25 week checkup... Jill Pregnancy 11 February 9th 04 01:47 PM
37 week update Em Pregnancy 5 September 11th 03 08:38 AM
35+ week ob/gyn appointment Elly Pregnancy 7 September 9th 03 11:14 PM
32 week update Linz Pregnancy 3 September 8th 03 04:38 AM
33 Week Appt--complaining, mostly! GoofeeGyrl Pregnancy 11 July 31st 03 04:12 AM