40 weeks and three days . . .

Old November 6th 04, 07:40 PM
Beach mum

When my midwives started talking induction last time 'round, the doula
recommended just not answering the phone. I thought it was a brilliant
suggestion. If you've had all of the tests and feel certain that everything
is fine, just don't let them do it.

However, I'm sending you labor vibes so that it doesn't even come to that.
Start telling the baby to come soon and maybe she'll listen.

--
Melissa (in Los Angeles)
Mum to Elizabeth 4/13/03

"Leslie" wrote in message
So I saw my OB today. As I expected, he began induction talk and
currently I
am scheduled to be induced next Wednesday. I cannot for a moment believe
that
I won't have the baby before then, but if it comes to that we will just
have to
see whether I decide to go along with it or not.

Doctor confirmed that everything was fine with the BPP. My swelling is
down
some. My BP was 159/100 when I got there, but went down to 126/72 when I
rested. I have only a trace of protein.

I am 3.5 cm dilated, which I am taking as a good sign because I have never
dilated much at all before labor before. I have backache today (that's
new),
some cramping (slight) and the same hard BHs as before.

I am supposed to go to the OB Tuesday and I will let him strip my
membranes
then if I have not gone into labor. I am open to suggestions for getting
this
show on the road. Does anyone know the proper dosage info for black and
blue
cohosh?

Leslie

Emily (2/4/91)
Jake (1/27/94)
Teddy (2/15/95)
William (3/5/01 -- VBA3C, 13 lbs. 5 oz.)
and Lorelei, expected 11/2/04

"Children come trailing clouds of glory from God, which is their home."
~ William Wordsworth

Old November 7th 04, 12:49 AM
Leslie

If you've had all of the tests and feel certain that everything
is fine, just don't let them do it.

That's how I feel about it. But he has already scheduled me for Wednesday--not
that I will necessarily keep the appointment if I don't feel right about it
when it gets here.

However, I'm sending you labor vibes so that it doesn't even come to that.
Start telling the baby to come soon and maybe she'll listen.

I think she's starting to listen . . . I've lost some of the mucus plug, I
believe, and I seem to be experiencing labor diarrhea . . . also my mother who
is supposed to watch the kids just developed a stomach virus so isn't that a
sure sign it will be tonight?

Old November 7th 04, 01:39 AM
ModernMiko

"Leslie" wrote in message
[...]

Yep...sounds kind of promising :-)

--
JennL
DS 06/26/98

aka CatnipSlayer @ livin-it-up.net
--
Leader of the Cult of Worshippers of BiPolar Long-Haired Sexy Anime Guys
with Swords

Old November 7th 04, 11:17 PM
Sarah Vaughan

In message , Leslie
writes
I am supposed to go to the OB Tuesday and I will let him strip my
membranes then if I have not gone into labor. I am open to suggestions
for getting this show on the road.

One study apparently showed that women who were advised to stimulate
their breasts for between one and three hours per day from 39 weeks and
to have sex (well, I think the wording was actually something more
restrained like 'not to refrain from intercourse') were more likely to
go into spontaneous labour at term. I suspect you may not quite feel up
to the latter suggestion, but the breast stimulation might be worth a
try.

All the best,

Sarah

--
"I once requested an urgent admission for a homeopath who had become depressed
and taken a massive underdose" - Phil Peverley

Old November 8th 04, 02:02 PM
Leslie

Sarah suggested"

One study apparently showed that women who were advised to stimulate
their breasts for between one and three hours per day from 39 weeks and
to have sex (well, I think the wording was actually something more
restrained like 'not to refrain from intercourse') were more likely to
go into spontaneous labour at term. I suspect you may not quite feel up
to the latter suggestion, but the breast stimulation might be worth a
try.

I've let William nurse (which is not much fun right now) for about 30 minutes
at a time--but 1-3 hours? I don't think I could stand it! As for your second
suggestion, I am always up for that; it's my husband who needs coaxing at this
point because it's just too difficult. :-(

Old November 8th 04, 02:52 PM
Kaybee

Good luck Leslie. You will be in my thoughts. I think the baby will come
on Tuesday so you don't have to be induced. mmm maybe she will come when he
is stripping the membrane.

Good luck love

Kay
Eva 9/2002
little boy 1/2005

Old November 8th 04, 06:01 PM
Nikki

Leslie wrote:

I've let William nurse (which is not much fun right now) for about 30
minutes at a time--but 1-3 hours? I don't think I could stand it!

The nurse told me to put a warm wash cloth (small towel)on my breasts while
in the tub. To remove and wet, then lay it on them again etc. She said it
would move things along. I was actually already in labor at that time but
the contractions were more intense and closer together when I did that.
Even if it doesn't work to get labor going it certainly can't hurt anything
and it isn't unpleasant like some of the other things to try!
--
Nikki

Old November 8th 04, 06:07 PM
Leslie

Thanks, Nikki! That sure sounds better than THREE HOURS of nipple stimulation.
I will try it in my bath tonight, since I'm quite sure I will still be here
then. :-p

Old November 8th 04, 06:14 PM
Circe

Leslie wrote:
Thanks, Nikki! That sure sounds better than THREE HOURS of nipple
stimulation. I will try it in my bath tonight, since I'm quite
sure I will still be here then. :-p

Another thing to consider, when you get to Wednesday (or beyond), is that
all it may take to start your labor is AROM. Sometimes, there's a pocket of
fluid between the baby's head and your cervix and that pocket prevent you
from getting into true labor. I know in my case, I was in real, obvious
labor with Vernon within 5 minutes of having my waters broken. As long as
Lorelei is well down in your pelvis so that you wouldn't be risking a cord
prolapse, it might be worth considering as a "natural" induction technique
as long as you're at the point where you're willing to take a "no turning
back" approach.
--
Be well, Barbara
Mom to Sin (Vernon, 2), Misery (Aurora, 5), and the Rising Son (Julian, 7)

Tolerance, equality, and personal liberty *are* moral values!

Old November 8th 04, 06:21 PM
Leslie

Another thing to consider, when you get to Wednesday (or beyond), is that
all it may take to start your labor is AROM.

The only reason I'm not sure about that is that she might still be posterior
and then there is less of a chance that she will turn.

Do they ever induce with just one shot of pitocin to get things started, then
turn the thing off and see how you do? I was thinking about asking for that if
it is ever done.