Chances of EDD being off by a good bit?

Old March 10th 04, 04:54 PM
Jill

Default Chances of EDD being off by a good bit?

My Dh and I were discussing this. I am not talking about how your dr gives
you a due date, and you could go into labor before or after it......I am
wondering what the chances are of an EDD being way off due to inaccurate
dating of the pregnancy etc. I know ultrasound is unreliable as to the size
of the baby does this mean the machine could date wrong too?

Here is why I ask. LMP was August 8, but it wasn't a normal period I told
the drs about it but they are counting it as my LMP....it really only lasted
like a day and was very light. Mine normally are 3-4 days. I am wondering
could I have already been pregnant at this time and be a month further along
than they think?

Don't laugh Dh and I can't help but wonder, because of all the pressure I
am feeling in my pelvis etc. I know we can't second guess it also just
because my stomach is huge, either. I am not being hopeful etc and I was
never planning on having her until within 2 weeks AFTER my EDD of May 17.
But I have had the strangest feeling here lately, that even if my EDD is
right, I have the strongest feeling that I am going to go early. (again, I
can't explain this feeling! It's not wishful thinking and I actually have
always planned on having her later than my DD, and to think of her coming
early would throw me off-- I feel unready!).....I'm not *afraid* of having
her early, either,,,,,but it's the strangest, strangest feeling....like a
premonition. I was just one day doing something and I stopped and said
"Oh.........she's going to come early!".............if I turn out to be
wrong, I'll eat my words and forever be confused as to why I feel this way,
since it's not wishful thinking etc....it's more like of a warning feeling
to myself....

But I have been wondering if there is any chance the drs could be wrong
about my EDD due to the LMP, since that is what they base it on.....it
wasn't a typical period for me.

Old March 10th 04, 05:11 PM
Plissken

"Jill" wrote in message
. com...
| My Dh and I were discussing this. I am not talking about how your dr gives
| you a due date, and you could go into labor before or after it......I am
| wondering what the chances are of an EDD being way off due to inaccurate
| dating of the pregnancy etc. I know ultrasound is unreliable as to the
size
| of the baby does this mean the machine could date wrong too?

I doubt an ultrasound could be off by a whole month. What was the EDD based
on your ultrasound?

Old March 10th 04, 05:55 PM
Welches

Jill wrote in message
. com...
My Dh and I were discussing this. I am not talking about how your dr gives
you a due date, and you could go into labor before or after it......I am
wondering what the chances are of an EDD being way off due to inaccurate
dating of the pregnancy etc. I know ultrasound is unreliable as to the

size
of the baby does this mean the machine could date wrong too?

I'm fairly certain that my edd (based on ultrsound) was about 1 week early.
I'm not sure as much as a month though. The dating scan was at week 12.

Here is why I ask. LMP was August 8, but it wasn't a normal period I told
the drs about it but they are counting it as my LMP....it really only

lasted
like a day and was very light. Mine normally are 3-4 days. I am wondering
could I have already been pregnant at this time and be a month further

along
than they think?

Possible. But probably not if you had an early dating scan.
[...]

I was convinced dd#1 would be induced 2 weeks late: Result-3 days late by
LMP (and based on a 28 day cycle and mine are 35-42days)
I was eaqually convinced dd#2 would be early: Result-4 days early by
(apparent) ultrasound guess.
Try and unconvince yourself! Make sure you're ready (as I was with #1) but
the wait with #2 seemed never ending, and she really felt late by the time
she arrived. The wait was very stress inducing.

But I have been wondering if there is any chance the drs could be wrong
about my EDD due to the LMP, since that is what they base it on.....it
wasn't a typical period for me.

LMP date: could be. Are you measuring large? not that that's necessarily
anything to go by-my fundal height was about 6cm short by the end)
Debbie

Old March 10th 04, 07:57 PM
Vicky Larmour

In article . com,
Jill wrote:
My Dh and I were discussing this. I am not talking about how
your dr gives you a due date, and you could go into labor before
or after it......I am wondering what the chances are of an EDD
being way off due to inaccurate dating of the pregnancy etc. I
know ultrasound is unreliable as to the size of the baby does
this mean the machine could date wrong too?

Late-term ultrasound is unreliable for estimating the size; before
about 13 or 14 weeks, though, it's pretty accurate. When was your
ultrasound?

Vicky
--
"Bother," said Pooh, "Eeyore, ready two photon torpedoes and lock
phasers on the Heffalump. Piglet, meet me in transporter room
Old March 10th 04, 08:04 PM
Kereru

"Jill" wrote in message
. com...
[...]

My friend was in a similar situation, a light period. Whe she went for her
ultrasound at 12 weeks it turned out she was a month further along. If you
had an early ultrasound it should have picked it up if you are a month out.
Further along the ultrasound is not so acurate for dating.

As for the feelings of pressure and braxton hicks etc.. I had both from
about twenty weeks. I was very uncomfortable and went to 41 weeks first time
and 39 the second. I had two ten pound plus babies. I know that's probably
the last thing you want to hear. On the upside I did have easy labors. I
think all those Braxton Hicks were doing something from early on.

If you were a month further along I imagine you would be measuring at least
a few weeks ahead on fundal measurements but I'm no expert!

Judy

Old March 10th 04, 08:09 PM
Carla

On Wed, 10 Mar 2004 16:54:17 GMT, "Jill" wrote:

I was never planning on having her until within 2 weeks AFTER my EDD of May 17.

Why?

if I turn out to be wrong, I'll eat my words and forever be confused as to why I feel this way,

I don't think all of these dramatics are at all necessary or even
worth considering -- I would just chalk it up to hormones or the fact
that it's your first pregnancy and you don't really know what to
expect. My EDD is May 14th and I measured between 1&2 weeks bigger
than they originally thought and they did a US to be sure and when I
was at 28 weeks they said the baby looked to be about 29 weeks but my
EDD hasn't changed.
Old March 10th 04, 08:26 PM
Hillary Israeli

In ,
Jill wrote:

*My Dh and I were discussing this. I am not talking about how your dr gives
*you a due date, and you could go into labor before or after it......I am
*wondering what the chances are of an EDD being way off due to inaccurate
*dating of the pregnancy etc. I know ultrasound is unreliable as to the size
*of the baby does this mean the machine could date wrong too?

I don't understand. You say you know that ultrasound is unreliable, and
you ask if this means "the machine" could date wrong too. What are you
talking about?? The "machine?" Which machine? The ultrasound machine? Some
other machine? I'm confused.

*Here is why I ask. LMP was August 8, but it wasn't a normal period I told
*the drs about it but they are counting it as my LMP....it really only lasted
*like a day and was very light. Mine normally are 3-4 days. I am wondering
*could I have already been pregnant at this time and be a month further along
*than they think?

Certainly it is possible that you had non-menstrual bleeding August 8th
and were already pregnant at that time, in the absence of any evidence to
the contrary. That being said, it may be the case that there IS evidence
to the contrary that I don't know about...

*But I have been wondering if there is any chance the drs could be wrong
*about my EDD due to the LMP, since that is what they base it on.....it
*wasn't a typical period for me.

When was your first ultrasound? I would wonder if, when you had your
earliest ultrasound done, the measurements made sense with an LMP date of
8/8 or not. Also if the development of the fetus was at the appropriate
stage...

Old March 10th 04, 08:26 PM
Circe

Carla wrote:
On Wed, 10 Mar 2004 16:54:17 GMT, "Jill" wrote:

I was never planning on having her until within 2 weeks AFTER my
EDD of May 17.

Why?

Probably because a term pregnancy is anywhere from 37-42 weeks long and it's
easier to get through the last few weeks if you imagine you won't give birth
before that 42 week mark.
--
Be well, Barbara
(Julian [6], Aurora [4], and Vernon's [2] mom)

Old March 10th 04, 08:37 PM
Emily

Hillary Israeli wrote:

In ,
Jill wrote:

*My Dh and I were discussing this. I am not talking about how your dr gives
*you a due date, and you could go into labor before or after it......I am
*wondering what the chances are of an EDD being way off due to inaccurate
*dating of the pregnancy etc. I know ultrasound is unreliable as to the size
*of the baby does this mean the machine could date wrong too?

I don't understand. You say you know that ultrasound is unreliable, and
you ask if this means "the machine" could date wrong too. What are you
talking about?? The "machine?" Which machine? The ultrasound machine? Some
other machine? I'm confused.

Clearly, the machine that goes PING!

--
Emily
mom to Toby 5/1/02
Old March 10th 04, 08:55 PM
Christine

Chances of EDD being off by a good bit?

Group: misc.kids.pregnancy Date: Wed, Mar 10, 2004, 4:54pm (EST+5) From:
(Jill)
[...]

=95=95=95=95=95=95=95=95=95=95=95=95=95=95=95=95=9 5=95=95=95=95=95=95=95=95=
=95=95=95=95=95=95=95=95=95=95=95=95=95=95=95=95=9 5=95=95=95=95=95=95=95=95=
=95

My LMP was Aug 12th, and i'm due on May 21st, BUT if i count the weeks
on the calandar I am only about 29 weeks not 30...BUT ive been counting
the weeks since the 14th day AFTER my LMP..and that is Aug 25th so that
is when I THOUGHT i got pregnant, because i always heard it was 14 days
after the first day of your period that you get pregnant...
Oh. then I saw in a magazine that you add 7 days to your LMP and add 9
months THAT is your due date, and that leaves me at may
19th...omg...this is so confusing...

If your LMP was only one day, my guess is that you were already
pregnant...and didnt know it...
If i were you I would have your bag packed...;-)))

I'm packing mine soon too, even though i dont think i'll go too early,
but i think i will go a little early....;-)

and i dont want my DH in charge of packing my bag...lol....

OBs: Do You Look Good In An Orange Jumpsuit? Todd Gastaldo Pregnancy 0 March 1st 04 11:30 PM
At 3:22 am mom & son nancy Pregnancy 1 December 20th 03 06:57 PM
Review: Good Boy! (***) Steve Rhodes General 0 October 5th 03 09:40 PM
50 reasons it's good to be pregnant [email protected] Pregnancy 2 September 9th 03 11:06 PM
The good, the bad and the ugly (The Brits' National Childbirth Trust) Todd Gastaldo Pregnancy 0 July 19th 03 09:55 PM