son diagnosed with autism

Old August 5th 06, 02:52 AM posted to alt.support.single-parents
Mike

Default son diagnosed with autism

Well, my oldest will be 9 this month. Believe it or not, he *just* got his
autism diagnosis today. He has been to so many neurologists, psychiatrists,
therapists, and they finally, finally, finally gave him the diagnosis. Now
I can start collection SSI (personal nannies during the summer can be
expensive), and hopefully get some respite care.

I knew he was autistic, but the thing that got me is that he also received a
diagnosis of severe mental retardation. He doesn't talk, and I knew he was
slow on some things, but I always attributed it solely to his autism.
Apparently, thought (according to the doc), in my son's case, there are
indeed 2 distinct diagnoses. They put him at 25% - 35% development for his
age (i.e., IQ of 25 - 35).

This is my son!!! The additional diagnosis doesn't surprise me, but I have
to admit, it's a bit of an impact. He then went on to tell me about him
hitting puberty, and that I should start considering homes for him for when
he becomes an adult, as many of the better local group homes have 5 - 10
year waiting lists.

To top this off, my youngest son is starting a remedial class in the 1st
grade. I feel like I'm drowning sometimes.

Okay, anyone have any advice, or better yet, as anyone else gone through
this and lived to tell about it?

Mike

Old August 5th 06, 03:20 AM posted to alt.support.single-parents
Bev

Mike wrote:
[...]

Hello Mike,

There are many programs available to assist you and your son. There are
special schools and day programs. I am not an expert , I do know a bit
about autism, my partner has worked with autistic teens and adults in
group home settings.She could actually do better at this than I , I
will ask her if maybe she could type you some info.May I ask what state
you are in ? Are his behaviors such that a group home will be
necessary? How have you been coping up until now? My partner is
currently working with 14 - 18 yr. old boys. I think talking with her
may help .
Bev

Old August 5th 06, 03:43 AM posted to alt.support.single-parents
Mike

I would like talking to her. Right now his behaviour is fine. He is very
sweet and gentle, and helps with a few light chores around the house. He
can sit with me through church with very little problem... he's just the
best son I could ask for. I guess I was just considering all the
possibilities of what might be necessary, especially as he reaches puberty.
I'd be perfectly happy with him staying with me, but I just want to keep my
eyes open to all possible necessities.

Does that make sense? I feel like my writing here tonight is a bit
garbled... I'm kinda out of it.

Oh, yeah... I'm in ne Florida. Go Jags! anyways...

Mike

"Bev" wrote in message
ups.com...

Old August 5th 06, 04:22 AM posted to alt.support.single-parents
Bev

Mike wrote:
I would like talking to her.

She will like talking to you as well, I know her heart is deeply
involved in what she does.

Right now his behaviour is fine. He is very
sweet and gentle, and helps with a few light chores around the house. He
can sit with me through church with very little problem... he's just the
best son I could ask for. I guess I was just considering all the
possibilities of what might be necessary, especially as he reaches puberty.

The boys she works with have some severe behavior issues, not all the
time but there are incidents.

I'd be perfectly happy with him staying with me, but I just want to keep my
eyes open to all possible necessities.

Absolutely....

Does that make sense? I feel like my writing here tonight is a bit
garbled... I'm kinda out of it.

Oh, yeah... I'm in ne Florida. Go Jags! anyways...

Mike

You made sense......we are in Pa. I will have Mari type you tomorrow.
Bev

"Bev" wrote in message
ups.com...

Old August 5th 06, 06:30 PM posted to alt.support.single-parents
Bev

Mike wrote:
[...]

Hello Mike, I'm Bev's Partner Mari. Bev was telling me about your
post, I hope I can help. I have been working in the field of Autism
going on 6 yrs. My work is in group homes. I have spent the last 9
months working with teen boys in a group home setting. The boys are
14, 15, and 18. Their behaviors vary from extreme to age related. The
company I work for is RHD Resources for Human Development. They have
homes from Boston to Florida.

First off you might want to look into support groups in your area.
Those in the groups will be able to let you know how to go about
getting the assistance you need.

http://209.200.89.252/search_site/ch...name=&state=FL

This is Autism Society of America's web page for Florida They have a
tremendous amount of info. They also have local chapters you can
connect with.

How does your son communicate his needs and wants to you? Does he use
sign language ? There is a great system we use called Pecs, Picture
Exchange Communication System. Which are picture cards for everything.
Most cards are photo pictures and are used to communicate want and
needs. They are used to communicate feelings, what they want to do ex:
to play ball your son would go to his communication book and pick out
the ball card and show it to you. The system is really a excellent
communication tool. One of the reasons Autistic folks have behaviors is
their inability to communicate their wants @ needs. This can make them
very frustrated and cause their outbursts and behaviors.

The deal with group homes is there is such a long waiting list. And you
need to look towards the future. You becoming older and no longer being
able to take care of your son. What would happen to your son if you
unexpectedly passed away. Who would care for him. In a group home
setting you are still his Dad ,you make all the calls. He may be living
there, but you can visit anytime, and I mean anytime .you can take him
home, anytime. You can stop by and take him to dinner, ball game,
whatever you want. When working with Autistic folks structure is the
main key to their being. Autistic folks get in the most trouble when
they're BORED. Not saying to put him there now, but this is something
to need to take an honest look at for his future. There is so much
going on right now as far as Autism, great strides are being made
daily.

Mike .......

http://www.autismsource.org/

This is another site that has so much info, check it out .
Please let me know how all is going. Hope this helped.
Mari
p.s. since I noticed you are a football kinda guy, I think you might
be interested in looking into the Doug Flutie Foundation his son is
Autistic.

Old August 10th 06, 01:08 PM posted to alt.support.single-parents
Bev

Default MIKE???? was....... son diagnosed with autism

Just wondering if you overlooked this?
Bev

Old August 16th 06, 04:12 AM posted to alt.support.single-parents
Bev

Bev wrote:
Just wondering if you overlooked this?
Bev

Oh Well

Not sure why you dropped the conversation, I hope everything works out
o.k. for you and especially your son.
Bev

Old August 17th 06, 03:56 AM posted to alt.support.single-parents
Mike

My apologies, Bev. I've been busy, and just yesterday had a chance to pop
back into the group and say hi on one of the posts. I didn't mean to ignore
you.

Many thanks for the encouragement and links from both you and Mari.
Bookmarked, read, continuing to read, and I've forwarded yall's (I'm
southern) post to my email address so I wouldn't lose it. I'm in an
information gathering mode, and I've even found a local support group for
parents with autistic children. It's nice to know that there are people out
there who won't shun your family just because of your child's needs (yeah,
people do that in both subtle and not-so-subtle ways). Again, many thanks.

This seems a pretty tight group, so I'll let you guys know... some pics of
me and my boys are on MySpace under mikeleeisback. My oldest son is the one
with the diagnosis. They're handsome, ain't they?

Anywho, I'm off to bed I think, or at least to the couch with my TiVo. Yall
have a good night.

Mike

"Bev" wrote in message
oups.com...

Old August 17th 06, 11:42 PM posted to alt.support.single-parents
Bev

Mike wrote:
My apologies, Bev. I've been busy, and just yesterday had a chance to pop
back into the group and say hi on one of the posts. I didn't mean to ignore
you.

O.K. I forgive you for leaving me hangin' :-)

Many thanks for the encouragement and links from both you and Mari.
Bookmarked, read, continuing to read, and I've forwarded yall's (I'm
southern) post to my email address so I wouldn't lose it. I'm in an
information gathering mode, and I've even found a local support group for
parents with autistic children. It's nice to know that there are people out
there who won't shun your family just because of your child's needs (yeah,
people do that in both subtle and not-so-subtle ways). Again, many thanks.

You are very welcome Mike , I truly understand the frustration with not
feeling supported and even shunned by people that do not understand
cognitive, developmental and mental health disabilities.I have traveled
a very long 7 year road with my soon to be 19 year old daughter who
began at age 13 with diagnosis' from adhd, bipolar , and now borderline
personality disorder......so far the BPD diagnosis is the one that
makes the most sense after all this time. What was hardest I think for
myself and daughter was/is the family not understanding , where I
needed my moms support I had none , she would not believe my daughter
was sick..... just a bad a$$ that I should turn my back on. It's been
tough.

This seems a pretty tight group, so I'll let you guys know... some pics of
me and my boys are on MySpace under mikeleeisback. My oldest son is the one
with the diagnosis. They're handsome, ain't they?

I searched Myspace high and low and could not find mikeleeisback ??
I'm dissapointed now that I could not check out the handsome boys :-(

Anywho, I'm off to bed I think, or at least to the couch with my TiVo. Yall
have a good night.

Mike

Hope your night was relaxing......
Bev
"Bev" wrote in message
oups.com...

Old August 18th 06, 12:59 PM posted to alt.support.single-parents
Mike

Try this: www.myspace.com/mikeleeisback

Still working on it at the moment.

"Bev" wrote in message

[...]