easy on the back baby sling

Old March 6th 04, 07:50 PM
Mom2Aries

Default easy on the back baby sling

"Vicki S" wrote in message
om...
| (HollyLewis) wrote in message news:
| One good solution is a wraparound carrier. ...
| other common brand names are ... Moby Wrap.
|
| Has anyone here tried this product? I've looked around and it seems
| clear that this is the least expensive of this type. I like the idea
| of stretchy fabric -- I've read good things about that feature here on
| Usenet.
|
| I already own two "regular" one-shoulder type slings -- one padded,
| one unpadded. They both really wear on my back and shoulders after a
| while. I completely stopped using them months ago when my toddler
| just got too big and she learned to walk. So, I would like to try
| something that has a reputation for being a lot easier on backs and
| shoulders.
|
| I think I'd like to hear some positive reviews before I actually buy a
| Moby, though. It looks like the learning curve for tying it might be
| pretty steep. What I would probably prefer is a hug-a-bub, but
| there's no way I'm shelling out all the dough for one of those!
|
| --
| -- Vicki
| Married DH May 21, 1995. Ima shel DS, born 11/16/99; DD, born at
| home 5/19/02, and "the Final Frontier", "due" September 4, 2004.
| "Stay-at-home" Ima since October 2002.
| An ounce of mother is worth a pound of clergy. -Spanish proverb

I haven't used one yet, though I plan to buy one. But I've heard good things
about it.

The only other problem with the HaB is that it can't be used for back
carries, and that's one of the things I need to be able to do....so I can
clean.

The learning curve shouldn't be that bad, the ties are pretty simple, and
peppermint.com has good instructions for the different ties. I think the
hardest part is learning how to make the specific knots at the end, and not
so much the wrapping part.

Old March 22nd 04, 11:56 PM
Jenrose

"Jeannie" wrote in message
mypet wrote:
I'm looking for a baby pouch or sling for a friend who must be a
little careful with her back. Can any of you make a recommendation?
I have read reviews on Baby Bjorn, Nojo, Over the Shoulder, and the
Maya Wrap Sling and pouch. It seems to me that the Maya is well-liked
but I still would like to know if some are bigger backache promoters
than others! Thanks!

She should probably try them all and see what works for her (a place
like Babies R Us in the USA usually have all types that can be tried on
in the store).

Babies R Us has a wretchedly small selection of carriers, and none are
really "top of class" in terms of comfort. Unfortunately there are few
places you can really go to try a lot of carriers out in person.

www.thebabywearer.com is an excellent starting point.

Specifically for back pain sufferers, the Mamaroo (www.mamaroo.com) is
excellent and easier in many ways than most wraparounds. The Kozy
(www.kozycarriers.com) is also excellent and low stress on the back. I would
not go with *any* of the major commercial brands of front packs (Snugli,
Bjorn, Infantino) or the mass market Nojo for anyone with back pain.

I found that of all the single-shoulder carriers, the best ones for me are
the adjustable fleece pouch from Kangaroo Korner (www.kangarookorner.com),
and my own MamaBaby (which is very good in double-sling mode for preventing
back pain, but not as good as the MamaRoo or Kozy for people who are already
suffering.) (www.midwiferytoday.com/articles/sling.asp)

The Maya is not bad for back pain if worn properly, but is harder to wear
properly.

Jenrose

Old March 22nd 04, 11:59 PM
Jenrose

I think I'd like to hear some positive reviews before I actually buy a
Moby, though. It looks like the learning curve for tying it might be
pretty steep. What I would probably prefer is a hug-a-bub, but
there's no way I'm shelling out all the dough for one of those!

Stretchy wraparounds are NOT hard to learn to use--but it does take some
practice to get the hang of how tight to wrap them.

The Moby and Hug-a-Bub have *identical* learning curves, IMO. Fabric is
somewhat different, but use is the same and I haven't seen anyone unhappy
with a Moby yet.

Jenrose