"dead beat" parent round-up

Old April 4th 04, 01:17 AM
AZ Astrea

Default "dead beat" parent round-up

"Bob Whiteside" wrote in message
link.net...

"AZ Astrea" wrote in message

As long as men and women keep getting together there will always be a
scapegoat, (unless the laws change). I'm just angry that the media just
reports what the pro-cs people want them to and there's not anyone

looking
at the other side.

The problem, as I see it, is the media is lazy. They appear to be biased
because frequently they only report one side of a story. When people

write
to them after stories are reported (I do this a lot) they acknowledge the
great points being made, but they don't go back and re-report the story
using the additional facts.

---------------------------
So far they haven't even acknowledged my letter. Occasionally they have
been known to revisit a story, (I can't think of any specific one), but the
best I'm hoping for is that they tone down the rhetoric next time they have
a 'round-up'.
---------------------------

Examples would be things like:

1.) Contacting women's crisis center advocates to do a story on domestic
violence but not interviewing any men's rights advocates who would point

out
abuse is split nearly 50/50 between the genders.

-----------------------
Exactly. In my opinion women are as violent as men but men don't report it
and the system doesn't support them if they do. Though, around here if the
cops have to come to a domestic dispute BOTH of them have to go to jail.
--------------------

2.) Interviewing judges about restraining orders and not interviewing
anyone who would point out attorneys encourage women to seek RO's as a
strategy in divorce and 30-70% of them, depending on the sample, are based
on false claims.

3.) Claiming the state has cut back on its commitment to low income

college
students without mentioning the state law providing CS to adult children
attending school has been affirmed by the state supreme court twice so
children of divorce, separated, or never married parents have an ever
increasing source of money for college.

4.) Editorializing that the new violence against the unborn law is an
assault on women's rights without mentioning that the law gives parents,
including fathers, access to the legal system to seek justice.

5.) Reporting children are being killed by men at alarming rates without
talking to anyone who would point out the children are killed by live-in
boyfriends and stepfathers, not bio-fathers.

6.) Reporting more women die through domestic violence than men but not
talking to anyone who would point out the numbers for women committing
violent crimes are lower because their crimes are collected statistically

in
another category since women hire boyfriends or acquaintances to do the
killing for them.

--------------------------
All of those are valid points, (and well written). You should send that to
KVOA. I doubt that anything will affect them but we have to keep trying.
Who knows, maybe one day someone who is sympathetic to our cause will happen
upon it.

~AZ~

Old April 4th 04, 03:08 AM
Bob Whiteside

"AZ Astrea" wrote in message

[...]

I've got my hands full monitoring the local media, but I would think no one
would care if the good stuff we publish here got re-used to elevate the
media's knowledge. Here is my Letter to the Editor The Oregonian is
publishing this weekend in response to their recent editorial equating the
new Violence Against Unborn Fetus Act with an erosion of women's rights.

Letter to the Editor:

There is another side to the Unborn Victims of Violence Act designed to
protect the fetus that can't be ignored. Fathers have the right to justice
in the legal system too. Protecting unborn children is not just a women's
rights issue. It's a parent's rights issue.

Women's rights advocacy groups have fought hard to gain exclusive
post-conception rights for women by excluding fathers from making any
post-conception decisions. To suggest a woman's right to abortion should
trump both sexes crime victim rights is just illogical.

What could possibly be wrong with giving a father equal rights to see
justice done if his unborn child is murdered?

Old April 4th 04, 06:04 AM
Werebat

AZ Astrea wrote:

"Mysonsfather (AKA ZonaHawk)" wrote in
message news:PXobc.22191$Q45.10284@fed1read02..
As a fellow Tucsonan, I am pleased to hear about your letter to kvoa. I
didn't see the report on channel 4 but I sure heard about it at work

today.
I was also prompted to write a letter, not only to KVOA, but also to our
state Rep Kolbe, who has yet to respond to any of my letters and emails
regarding child support issues. Keep up the faith.

Michael

-------------------------------------
I have gotten tons of responses from Congressmen when I have sent the ACLU
action alert letters. I would send letters to them all the time if I felt I
could write a letter without ranting and raving. I know it's hard to be
taken seriously when you start calling DCS nazi's and such but I have a hard
time keeping my cool with a subject I am so passionate about. I am less
concerned about how KVOA sees me and while I tried to keep it down I know I
did a bit of ranting.
Oh well, they'll consider it or they won't.

You just need to learn to shift from a "hot" rage to a "cold" one.

Cold ones are much more dangerous.

- Ron ^*^

Old April 14th 04, 10:26 PM
Ohiodadof4

My brother lives in Peoria and said these round-ups are done all the time
there. I personally am in favor of this. I think they should have more
round-ups everywhere! It's about time justice is served on these jerks.