Atopic Dermatitis & BF'ing. Cites/Sites needed

Old January 6th 04, 10:50 PM
CY

Default Atopic Dermatitis & BF'ing. Cites/Sites needed

I just went to see a dermatologist with my DD who was diagnosed with
eczema/atopic dermatitis.

At the appointment I mentioned that I was glad I had bf'd my daughter as I
can't imagine how much worse it would have been had it not been for the
bf'ing (it's quite a mild case).

She then went on to say that Atopic Dermatitis is genetic and has nothing to
do with bf'ing or not bf'ing. GRRRRRRRRRRRRRR.

So I want to write a letter to educate her and will Google it, but I
wondered if anyone had any favorite/good sites or online places that are
good for quoting to medical types?

Thank you!!

CY

Old January 6th 04, 11:05 PM
Elana Kehoe

CY wrote:

She then went on to say that Atopic Dermatitis is genetic and has nothing to
do with bf'ing or not bf'ing. GRRRRRRRRRRRRRR.

Oh, bite me! Yes, if the parents have some skin problems, then it would
be genetic. But I have to say that P's eczema has almost completely
cleared up with the elimination of dairy and eggs, as well as some
Elidel on flare-ups (check that stuff out...it's amazing). I don't have
any cites anywhere, other than our allergist saying that egg is the
number one reason for babies to have eczema.

I'll look in the morning when I have some time.
--
It's Tis Herself
Old January 6th 04, 11:43 PM
Cheryl S.

"CY" wrote in message
I just went to see a dermatologist with my DD who was
diagnosed with eczema/atopic dermatitis.

At the appointment I mentioned that I was glad I had bf'd
my daughter as I can't imagine how much worse it would
have been had it not been for the bf'ing (it's quite a mild case).

She then went on to say that Atopic Dermatitis is genetic and
has nothing to do with bf'ing or not bf'ing. GRRRRRRRRRRRRRR.

So I want to write a letter to educate her and will Google it,
but I wondered if anyone had any favorite/good sites or online
places that are good for quoting to medical types?

I would try to find something in the official website for the
professional organization for dermatologists: http://www.aad.org/. Also
here is the website for the American Academy of Family Physicians
http://www.aafp.org/afp.xml. I have found lots of useful information in
the AAFP site for my own previous conditions, but when I did a search
there for "atopic dermatitis breastfeeding" it didn't turn up anything
that would help you. Maybe if you try some other searches there
something would turn up. I didn't try the AAD site. Good luck! If you
turn up something please post the link(s). I would be interested to
know more about any link between bf and preventing eczema too.
--
Cheryl S.
Mom to Julie, 2 yr., 9 mo.

Cleaning the house while your children are small is like
shoveling the sidewalk while it's still snowing.

Old January 6th 04, 11:48 PM
Cheryl S.

"Elana Kehoe" wrote in message
I don't have any cites anywhere, other than our
allergist saying that egg is the number one reason
for babies to have eczema.

Oh, the allergist professional website might be another good one to try.
Didn't think of that before. Here it is: http://www.aaaai.org/ HTH

Old January 7th 04, 12:13 AM
H Schinske

CY wrote:

So I want to write a letter to educate her and will Google it, but I
wondered if anyone had any favorite/good sites or online places that are
good for quoting to medical types?

http://dermatology.jwatch.org/cgi/co...ll/1995/1201/1

And from the National Institute of Health web site, at
http://www.niams.nih.gov/hi/topics/dermatitis/

"A recent analysis of a large number of studies on allergies and
breastfeeding indicated that breastfeeding an infant for at least 4 months may
protect the child from developing allergies. However, some studies suggest that
mothers with a family history of atopic diseases should avoid eating common
allergenic foods during late pregnancy and breastfeeding."

I got these two and lots more by googling "atopic dermatitis" and
breastfeeding. I didn't spend more than five minutes looking at them, I am sure
there are many other good ones.

--Helen