Acetaminophen liver toxicity

Old November 30th 04, 05:07 PM
pologirl

Default Acetaminophen liver toxicity

At 8 months old, Monkey Boy finally erupted a tooth last Thursday
morning. Because he was very fussy and uncomfortable trying to eat
anything, I dosed him with acetaminophen (Tylenol infant liquid, red
flavor) several times on Thursday and again on Friday.

Thursday night he vomited soon after getting a dose on a full stomach,
and again on Friday night. Vomiting is very unusual for him, and I
understand the red flavor can cause this, and to try the purple flavor
instead. After the Friday vomit we gave him no more acetaminophen and
he did not vomit again.

But my main concern is something else connected to the acetaminophen,
that I have not been able to track down in my medical references.
Thursday night and Friday, Monkey Boy's poops were unique. The color
and consistency were normal but the odor was distinctly like well-aged
raw beef. Such an odor makes me worry about liver damage!

Acetaminophen in high doses is notorious for causing liver damage.
Also, it can cause damage in normal doses; although this is rare,
acetaminophen is extremely toxic in some people. Can anyone direct me
to more relevant information on this, in particular whether that raw
beef odor is consistent with liver damage.

Pologirl

Old December 1st 04, 01:50 PM
Sue

I would say that his teething and maybe extra mucous that he is swallowing
is causing the bad odor and not the Tylenol. I am fully aware of the liver
toxicity that *can* occur with Tylenol, but you would really have to take a
lot for a long period of time before liver toxicity became a problem. I know
this because my daughter had a liver transplant and cannot use Ibuprofen and
can only take Tylenol. So I have had a long discussion on Tylenol use with
her transplant doctors. They agree that Tylenol is being drug through the
media as another media scare and hype. Sure, it's worth monitoring and using
as little as possible for a very short time, but short time use is not going
to be a problem.
--
Sue (mom to three girls)

om...

Old December 1st 04, 06:37 PM
john

http://www.whale.to/a/fever1.html
http://www.whale.to/drugs/paracetamol1.html
"Could the increase in all forms of meningitis and other infectious disease
complications and deaths be because for the last 40+ years, the first thing
parents do at the slightest sign of temperature is push paracetamol? I
believe so."--Hilary Butler IS FEAR OF FEVER HURTING OUR CHILDREN? By Edda
West - VRAN Newsletter January-March, 2003

"The Ministry of Health's advice regarding the use of paracetamol in
children is unscientific and unsafe," says Ron Law, a risk and policy
analyst. There is no scientific evidence supporting the routine use of
paracetamol to reduce fevers in children, and certainly not in fevers up to
39°C as recommended by the Ministry of Health. It has been known for over a
decade that routine administration of antipyretics such as paracetamol may
interfere with the clinical evaluation of patients with infections, such as
meningitis, that their use may prolong infection and reduce the antibody
response in mild disease [and presumably following vaccination], and
increase morbidity and mortality in severe infection. There is also no
scientific evidence that antipyretics prevent febrile convulsions... it's
all part of medical folklore that the Ministry advice is based on. Advice on
Paracetamol is Unscientific and Unsafe

om...

Old December 18th 04, 05:16 PM
Pologirl

Last month, Pologirl wrote:
Thursday night and Friday, Monkey Boy's poops were unique. The color
and consistency were normal but the odor was distinctly like

well-aged
raw beef. Such an odor makes me worry about liver damage!

Acetaminophen in high doses is notorious for causing liver damage.
Also, it can cause damage in normal doses; although this is rare,
acetaminophen is extremely toxic in some people. Can anyone direct

me
to more relevant information on this, in particular whether that raw
beef odor is consistent with liver damage.

Acetaminophen is the active ingredient in Tylenol.

I stopped the acetaminophen and have not given Monkey Boy any more
since
then. I had an interesting discussion about this with his
pediatrician.
Briefly... (1) Given my family history of possible adverse reactions
acetaminophen, and this observation, I should ensure Monkey Boy gets no
more acetaminophen. (2) There is a simple drug challenge urine test we
can have done when Monkey Boy is older, to determine if he has a
certain
rare metabolic quirk that permits acetaminophen to cause liver damage.
We can wait until he is old enough to urinate on command; testing now
would involve cathetering him. (3) Given point 1 here, it is important
to do this test because if he has this quirk then he is at risk from
certain other drugs besides acetaminophen.

Pologirl

Old December 19th 04, 12:25 AM
Jenrose

We can wait until he is old enough to urinate on command; testing now
would involve cathetering him.

Not really. If he's in diapers, you put this funny little baggie over his
penis, then put the diaper on, then when he goes, you take the baggie off.
Wa-la. Sample.

Jenrose

Old December 19th 04, 03:37 PM
Pologirl

Jenrose wrote:
Not really. If he's in diapers, you put this funny little baggie over

his
penis, then put the diaper on, then when he goes, you take the baggie

off.
Wa-la. Sample.

For this test, the sample should be obtained at a specific time after
he gets a dose of the drug. So a sample obtained at his convenience
is unlikely to be sufficient.

Old December 20th 04, 10:04 AM
Jenrose

"Pologirl" wrote in message
oups.com...

Jenrose wrote:
Not really. If he's in diapers, you put this funny little baggie over

his
penis, then put the diaper on, then when he goes, you take the baggie

off.
Wa-la. Sample.

For this test, the sample should be obtained at a specific time after
he gets a dose of the drug. So a sample obtained at his convenience
is unlikely to be sufficient.

Huh. Most babies I know pee pretty freuqently...

Jenrose

UN FAO & WHO approve Steviol glycosides as sweetener June 2004, imports to UK no longer blocked: Martini: Murray 2004.10.17 rmforall Rich Murray Kids Health 11 November 3rd 04 06:26 PM
ABC propaganda on aspartame john Kids Health 17 September 18th 04 08:17 PM
Insomnia Zaz Pregnancy 8 July 3rd 04 07:00 PM
aspartame (methanol, formaldehyde) toxicity: Murray 10.15.3 rmforall Rich Murray Pregnancy 0 October 17th 03 04:58 AM