First ultrasound and second visit

Old September 23rd 03, 06:51 AM
Joanna Kimball

Default First ultrasound and second visit

Brief update: Had a very nice first ultrasound today. Saw the baby right
away, little heartbeat going away like gangbusters (162, and we actually got
to hear it, which was cool), and was at 7w6d according to the crown-rump
length. So now we get to tell people and look forward to the next seven and
a half months! As a HUGE added bonus, they took a good look at my ovaries
and my PCOS symptoms (big unhatched follicles, the hallmark of PCOS) are
totally gone. One normal corpus luteum cyst and that was it, all the other
follicles were completely normal. So I'm feeling VERY good about that.

We also had the second visit today (at the birth center they do a second
visit 2 weeks after the first one to do all the bloodwork, etc., then you
start the once-a-month routine). Everything looks fine, but I'm officially
hyperemetic (I've been throwing up 10-30 times a day for the past four or
five days) and had trace protein in my urine due to the lack of food and
incipient dehydration. I came home with a packet of Zofran, but the midwife
really wants me to tackle it by eating frequently, not with the drugs unless
I absolutely have to. I have to abandon my oh-so-careful diet, as there's no
point in eating perfectly balanced meals if they all come up within three
minutes, and just eat whatever will stay down. I'm totally worried about
letting that much sugar into my system after being religious about it for
months and months, but I felt undeniably better after ice cream and toast,
and I haven't thrown up in about eight hours. Hopefully if I can get on top
of the emesis I won't have more than a few weeks before I can go back to
being careful. I have pulled all of my stomach and back muscles from
vomiting so violently, so I'm moving around rather gingerly, but it's a huge
relief not to be constantly bent over the toilet.

That's it for me--can't believe I'm at eight weeks already, can hardly wait
until I'm out of this trimester!

--
Joanna
Meriwether, 6

Old September 23rd 03, 01:03 PM
Taniwha grrrl

Joanna Kimball wrote:

Brief update: Had a very nice first ultrasound today. Saw

the baby
right away, little heartbeat going away like gangbusters

Aww I'm so pleased, how exciting. I'm sorry about your
pregnancy sickness, that must really be awful

--
Andrea

If I can't be a good example, then I'll just have to be a
horrible warning.

Old September 23rd 03, 01:31 PM
Sophie

Wow, that's a lot of throwing up. I hope that stops for you soon.

Fantastic about the PCOS. Is it normal for it to go away like that?

Thanks for the update

--
Sophie -
TTC #4

Old September 23rd 03, 04:14 PM
Carol Ann

Brief update: Had a very nice first ultrasound today. Saw the baby right
away, little heartbeat going away like gangbusters (162, and we actually

got
to hear it, which was cool), and was at 7w6d according to the crown-rump
length. So now we get to tell people and look forward to the next seven

and
a half months! As a HUGE added bonus, they took a good look at my ovaries
and my PCOS symptoms (big unhatched follicles, the hallmark of PCOS) are
totally gone. One normal corpus luteum cyst and that was it, all the other
follicles were completely normal. So I'm feeling VERY good about that.

Wahoo! I know you are feeling great (despite your throwing up). It's so
nice to read happy messages!!

~Carol Ann

Old September 23rd 03, 05:08 PM
DeliciousTruffles

Joanna Kimball wrote:

but I felt undeniably better after ice cream and toast,
and I haven't thrown up in about eight hours.

Well, isn't that a well-balanced diet anyway? Let's see, strawberry ice
cream has your fat, fruit, dairy, protein and the toast has your
carbohydrate. LOL! :-D

I'm glad everything went well.

--
Brigitte aa #2145
edd #3 February 15, 2004

~ Harriet Martineau

Old September 23rd 03, 06:03 PM
Ilse Witch

Joanna Kimball wrote:
Brief update: Had a very nice first ultrasound today. Saw the baby right
away, little heartbeat going away like gangbusters (162, and we actually got
to hear it, which was cool), and was at 7w6d according to the crown-rump
length. So now we get to tell people and look forward to the next seven and
a half months!

It's so amazing to see that baby while it's still inside, I can
hardly wait to get there myself... Excellent news about the PCOS!!

As for your diet: I know how it feels to suddenly have to change
after being on a strict regime for a while. I finally started to
lose my previous pregnancy weight, and now it hit me again. I try
not to change too many things, and am blessed with a very robust
stomach, but I do notice I have a lot of cravings for sweeter
things, especially chocolate and cinnamon flavoured... I go by
the rule that my body knows what's best, and only try to limit
the amount of food, so I don't overdo it. Now if I could only
convince myself that chocolate and cinnamon rolls are healthy...

I do hope the change in diet works for you so you're not so sick
anymore, it must be terrible. Hang in there!

--
-- I
mommy to DS (14m)

Old September 23rd 03, 09:02 PM
Coccinella

Wonderful news Joanna.
I hope your morning sickness gets better soon.
Love

Nicky

Old September 24th 03, 01:07 PM
Linz

"Ilse Witch" wrote in message

As for your diet: I know how it feels to suddenly have to change
after being on a strict regime for a while. I finally started to
lose my previous pregnancy weight, and now it hit me again. I try
not to change too many things, and am blessed with a very robust
stomach, but I do notice I have a lot of cravings for sweeter
things, especially chocolate and cinnamon flavoured... I go by
the rule that my body knows what's best, and only try to limit
the amount of food, so I don't overdo it. Now if I could only
convince myself that chocolate and cinnamon rolls are healthy...

Chocolate is good for you. The darker the better, it's got theobromine
(which helps you feel happy and relaxed) and I think it's got anti-oxidants.
Cinnamon is good for your breath (not that I'm saying you have bad breath!)
and possibly digestion. I could be wrong there.

Old September 24th 03, 03:05 PM
Ilse Witch

Linz wrote:

Chocolate is good for you. The darker the better, it's got theobromine
(which helps you feel happy and relaxed) and I think it's got anti-oxidants.
Cinnamon is good for your breath (not that I'm saying you have bad breath!)
and possibly digestion. I could be wrong there.

Hey, thanks Linz! I also heard chocolate contains magnesium, which
is an element that helps preventing cramps later on in pregnancy,
so there may be something to it. And you're right, cinnamon is very
good for digestion, it's one the things they recommend having after
a bad stomach flue. What worries me is the amount of sugar that comes
with the rolls, so I try to make my own cinnamon & apple cakes, but
passing by a cinnamon roll is really hard on me

Old September 24th 03, 03:20 PM
SMK

Joanna Kimball wrote:

[...]

Thats great news! As to the sickness, the only way I am able to not be
sick, is by eating something every two hours or so. The first trimester
is the time when you need not worry about the balanced diet, since
anything is better than nothing. So whatever you like is whatever you
should eat.
good luck!

--
Vidya