Going out...

Old October 10th 03, 05:57 AM
Irrational Number

Default Going out...

AlenasMom wrote:
Does anyone go out without their babies for dinner or something like that?
How do you work it with exclusive breastfeeding? How can I leave her with a
babysitter and still go out to dinner?

We don't. We haven't wanted to. When we do
go out, we bring Pillbug along. He tends to
do really well in restaurants; I think the
ambient noise soothes him.

We've gone out to lunch once and dinner once
with family watching Pillbug. We found that
all we talked about was Pillbug, and it was
much more fun having him there to talk about.

-- Anita --
--
SUCCESS FOUR FLIGHTS THURSDAY MORNING ALL AGAINST
TWENTY ONE MILE WIND STARTED FROM LEVEL WITH ENGINE

Old October 10th 03, 10:29 AM
KC

I have went to dentist and doctor appointments, and had my dd watched
by my dh who has a flexible schedule. I just have pumped milk around,
and tell him where it is and how to thaw it and heat it, and then I
leave. For someone besides your spouse you should write a note
allowing them to get medical treatment for your baby if necessary.

With my first dd we did go out to dinner without her once for our
anniversary and left her with grandma, but then other people at the
restaurant had their kids with them, and we both just missed her and
wished we had brought her.

KC -
buy or rent a Whittlestone Breast Expresser at:
http://www.alittlestore.com

"AlenasMom" wrote in message ble.rogers.com...
Does anyone go out without their babies for dinner or something like that?
How do you work it with exclusive breastfeeding? How can I leave her with a
babysitter and still go out to dinner?
Does it work? I can't imagine doing it right now.
DH wants to go out to dinner, just us (we haven't had alone time in a long
time even before Alena) but I'm nervous about leaving her with a sitter.
(It would be my best friend, but still!)
What do I tell her to do if she wakes up crying in hunger? Or if something
goes wrong?
Does anyone else have these fears?
Should I just tell DH we're going to bring her with us until she's older?

Old October 10th 03, 11:28 PM
Akuvikate

"AlenasMom" wrote in message ble.rogers.com...
Does anyone go out without their babies for dinner or something like that?
How do you work it with exclusive breastfeeding? How can I leave her with a
babysitter and still go out to dinner?
Does it work? I can't imagine doing it right now.
DH wants to go out to dinner, just us (we haven't had alone time in a long
time even before Alena) but I'm nervous about leaving her with a sitter.
(It would be my best friend, but still!)
What do I tell her to do if she wakes up crying in hunger? Or if something
goes wrong?
Does anyone else have these fears?
Should I just tell DH we're going to bring her with us until she's older?

You can pump or hand express milk and leave it to be given by bottle,
though that can be tricky if your baby's fussy about bottles. Bug is
inconsistent about taking them, but even if she grumbles while she's
given one she drinks enough to tide her over until I get home. If
Alena cries while you're gone, your friend tries to comfort her --
either with things you've told her that work or things that she comes
up with that you've never tried. The likelihood of something going
wrong (aside from Alena just being mad) is extremely low, but you give
your friend a way to contact you if it does.

DH and I have been on 3 Bugless dates, and I must say, I've loved
them. Before she was born I expected to be much more neurotic about
leaving her, but I've relished it. Earlier this week we saw a movie
and it was wonderful for DH and I to pay attention to each other
without having half our minds on the Bug. And just as nice as the
time away is taking her back into my arms when we get home. I think
there are two essentials to enjoying time away from baby. First, the
babysitter has to be someone that you completely trust. Secondly, you
have to know in your gut that the baby is going to be fine without you
for a little bit. I know in my brain and heart that even if the Bug
gets ****ed off while I'm gone (and she often does), she'll be fine.
Some people don't feel that way until the baby's older. If it's
something your DH really wants, it's probably worth at least trying it
and seeing how it goes. If you're a nervous wreck the whole time you
can tell him you want to wait a while before doing it again.

It's kind of amazing how varied people are in this respect. Recently
there was the "Am I too attached?" thread from someone who'd barely
been apart from her baby for over a year. The other day I talked with
the mother of a 4 month old who was about to have her second full
overnight away with her DH, and she was considering leaving baby with
DH for a 2 day/2 night church retreat. Though neither of those styles
would suit me at all, I don't thing either is inherently wrong. Lots
of love and appropriate limits are really the only non-negotiable
needs (aside from food and whatnot), and beyond that it's all about
what works for you.

Kate
and the Bug, June 8 2003