Playing the Name Game Again (x-posted)

Old November 22nd 03, 06:16 PM
Clisby

Default Playing the Name Game Again (x-posted)

Sharon wrote:
xible.

DH really wants to give her a French name (so I guess that is a
starting point); he is of Scottish/French heritage, our last name is
the French spelling of a Scottish surname/placename (Glasco) and he
wants to honor that. So.....any suggestions? I have perused some
internet sites, but nothing so far has seemed to jump out at me.

Cybele?
Amelie?

Clisby

Old November 22nd 03, 06:26 PM
Sophie

"Clisby" wrote in message

Sophie wrote:
I've always loved the name Monique,

Keep in mind it will be pronounced Moan-ique and not Mon-ique in the US

(my
mom's pet peeve - lol).

I hate to start another name-pronunciation discussion, but how is
Moan-ique different from Mon-ique? Or do you mean Mon-ique is with a
short "o", like in "hop"? I don't think that would be the French
pronunciation.

Clisby

Geez I don't think I can spell how I pronounce it - lol. I don't pronounce
it like an O in hop.

Old November 22nd 03, 06:34 PM
Sharon

"Fer" wrote in message news:pouvb.452755$9l5.12744@pd7tw2no...
Sharon wrote:
|| snipped.
|| DH really wants to give her a French name (so I guess that is a
|| starting point); he is of Scottish/French heritage, our last name is
|| the French spelling of a Scottish surname/placename (Glasco) and he
|| wants to honor that. So.....any suggestions? I have perused some
|| internet sites, but nothing so far has seemed to jump out at me.

Most 'french' names are from other languages especially english but here ae
some ideas....

Adeline
Auréilie
Brigitte
Chantal
Delphine
Éloise
Faustine
Geneviève
Isabel
Jacqueline
Jeannette
Léonie
Odette
Oriane
Madeline
Mirabelle
Nicolette
Reine
Sidonie
Simone
Suzette
Tatienne
Véronique
Yvette
Zoé

These are all from this great site..
http://www.behindthename.com/nmc/fre.html

Thanks Jen! This is a great site. I really like Brigitte (how would
you pronounce that?), Isabel,and Oriane. I have a niece Madeline, so
that is out (altho' I think I like the other speling better -
Madeleine).

Sharon
Mom to James 6.2.00
EDD #2 5 December
Old November 22nd 03, 06:37 PM
Sharon

Penny Gaines wrote in message ...
Sharon wrote in :

DH really wants to give her a French name (so I guess that is a
starting point); he is of Scottish/French heritage, our last name is
the French spelling of a Scottish surname/placename (Glasco) and he
wants to honor that. So.....any suggestions? I have perused some
internet sites, but nothing so far has seemed to jump out at me.

How about Isabelle? You could use the Scottish spelling, 'Isobel'.

Another name I think would go nicely is Jocelyn: that is originally
an old Norman name. I know a baby called Jocelyn, who was named after her
French grandmother. There are numerous spellings of it, so you could
choose the most French version

Oooohhhh... I like both of these, especially Jocelyn, because it is
not all that common, but doesn't have the associated problems of
spelling and pronouniation. I also like the idea of the Scottish
spelling of Isobel; DH might go for that.

Thanks!

Sharon
Mom to James 6.2.00
EDD #2 5 Dcember
Old November 22nd 03, 06:41 PM
Sharon

"Circe" wrote in message news:4ozvb.447$ZE1.360@fed1read04...
"Sharon" wrote in message
om...

DH really wants to give her a French name (so I guess that is a
starting point); he is of Scottish/French heritage, our last name is
the French spelling of a Scottish surname/placename (Glasco) and he
wants to honor that. So.....any suggestions?

I knew a little girl whose name was Colombe, which is French for dove. I
always thought it was pretty (and she was a lovely little girl, too).

Alas, my French is really rusty (I'm reverting to the Spanish
pronouniation) - how would you pronouce Colombe, especially the "be"?

Sharon
Mom to James 6.2.00
EDD #2 5 December
Old November 22nd 03, 06:44 PM
Jacqui

Sharon wibbled

Oooohhhh... I like both of these, especially Jocelyn, because it
is not all that common, but doesn't have the associated problems
of spelling and pronouniation. I also like the idea of the
Scottish spelling of Isobel; DH might go for that.

Jocelyn originated as a male name, incidentally.

Isobel is a lovely name: there's also Ishbel, an ultra-Scottish version
g.

Jac
Old November 22nd 03, 07:17 PM
Circe

"Sharon" wrote in message
om...
I really like Brigitte (how would you pronounce that?),

Bri-jeet (soft "g" almost like a "zh"), I presume.
--
Be well, Barbara
(Julian [6], Aurora [4], and Vernon's [20mo] mom)

"Rejuvinate your skin." -- Hydroderm ad

Daddy: You're up with the chickens this morning.
Aurora: No, I'm up with my dolls!

Old November 22nd 03, 07:18 PM
Circe

"Sharon" wrote in message
om...
"Circe" wrote in message

I knew a little girl whose name was Colombe, which is French for dove. I
always thought it was pretty (and she was a lovely little girl, too).

Alas, my French is really rusty (I'm reverting to the Spanish
pronouniation) - how would you pronouce Colombe, especially the "be"?

Her parents pronounced it Koh(short "o")-lom(long "o"), which is probably
pretty close to the correct French pronunciation.

Old November 22nd 03, 08:19 PM
DeliciousTruffles

Sharon wrote:

I really like Brigitte

:-)

--
Brigitte aa #2145
edd #3 February 15, 2004

~ Harriet Martineau

Old November 22nd 03, 08:29 PM
Fer

"Clisby" wrote in message

Sophie wrote:
I've always loved the name Monique,

Keep in mind it will be pronounced Moan-ique and not Mon-ique in the US

(my
mom's pet peeve - lol).

I hate to start another name-pronunciation discussion, but how is
Moan-ique different from Mon-ique? Or do you mean Mon-ique is with a
short "o", like in "hop"? I don't think that would be the French
pronunciation.

Clisby

Monique is pronounced Munn-ick in french....(the mon sound in french sounds
like mon is money).
Hope that helps!
--

Jenn
-WAHM

Game Tables? Kris General 1 November 4th 03 02:42 PM
FREE GAME FREDDY RESCUE ROUNDUP + 40 MORE GAMES 2002-10-29 IBMFREDDYS General 0 October 29th 03 03:37 PM
What toys do your kids play with most? (esp over 5 yo) Vicki General 25 October 16th 03 06:46 PM
Review: Spy Kids 3-D: Game Over (**) Steve Rhodes General 1 August 5th 03 12:59 PM
The name game...and it's challenges... Cheg General 12 July 17th 03 02:13 PM