Immodium and breastfeeding

Old June 7th 06, 06:39 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

Default Immodium and breastfeeding

I was wondering if anyone had any information on the latest advice on
taking immodium and breastfeeding? I have had gastric flu since Monday
and the need for Immodium since Tuesday monring. I've kept off it so
far but along with everything else it's beginning to wear me down. I
have read a few posts that suggest there is a small chance it might get
into my milk but Hales basically says it's ok. I read another that said
taking immodium can slow recovery, but as I am already on day 3 I can't
get much slower! I know gastric flu can take a while to recover from
though.

I have been able to bf'd William except on one occasion. To add to
complcations he has finally called a halt to feeding on the poor
producer with a slow letdown when his blocked nose made it hard for him
to suck. I'm not too worried as he only has 3 bf's a day (formula at
nursery) and so far has been satsified, it just nags at me slightly
that not being able to eat or drink much for 3 days will begin to
effect my supply. Sorry, that wasn't really a question, just tired
ramblings...

Thanks

Jeni

Old June 7th 06, 08:52 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

wrote in message
ups.com...
I was wondering if anyone had any information on the latest advice on
taking immodium and breastfeeding?

It's fine.

Jess

Old June 7th 06, 09:07 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

I seemed to have developed the habit of not reading the pack
instructions before asking!. Stupid me. It says:

Do not take Imodium if you are breastfeeding as small amounts of the
medicine may get into your milk. You should talk to your doctor about
suitable treatment.

Bother.

Jeni

Old June 7th 06, 09:23 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

wrote in message
ups.com...
I seemed to have developed the habit of not reading the pack
instructions before asking!. Stupid me. It says:

Do not take Imodium if you are breastfeeding as small amounts of the
medicine may get into your milk. You should talk to your doctor about
suitable treatment.

Immodium's fine. Same active ingredient as Mylicon, which is the infant's
version of it. Unless, of course, you're taking bottles of it-but that's an
entirely different problem.

It'll slow your tract down, stop some cramping, give your gut time to catch
up.

Jess

Old June 8th 06, 05:27 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

When I was breastfeeding, I tried to always avoid any medicine at all.

Thank God, I didn't have to go through what you did. By the way, have
you contacted your doctor? What did he give you?

cheers,
nesia a.k.a groovy mommy
http://groovymommy.insparenting.com

Old June 8th 06, 02:15 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

Jess wrote:
wrote in message
ups.com...
I seemed to have developed the habit of not reading the pack
instructions before asking!. Stupid me. It says:

Do not take Imodium if you are breastfeeding as small amounts of the
medicine may get into your milk. You should talk to your doctor about
suitable treatment.

Immodium's fine. Same active ingredient as Mylicon, which is the infant's
version of it. Unless, of course, you're taking bottles of it-but that's an
entirely different problem.

It'll slow your tract down, stop some cramping, give your gut time to catch
up.

Thanks for the aadvice. As it is things have been much better today so
looks like I won't need it thank goodness. The bizarre thing with
gastric flu is there isn't really much *painful* cramping, unlike food
poisoning, which is agony.

Jeni

Old June 8th 06, 02:18 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

groovy mommy wrote:
When I was breastfeeding, I tried to always avoid any medicine at all.

Thank God, I didn't have to go through what you did. By the way, have
you contacted your doctor? What did he give you?

I didn't get to my GP as I am getting much better today thank goodness.
I was able to feed him fine last night and this morning and even help
with his brekkie, which was nice for me.

Jeni

Old June 8th 06, 07:39 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

It seems like that is probably the case. If the issue comes up again
asking the pharmacist is a very good idea, thanks!

though pharmacists only have the same information as doctors available to
them as far as I understand, it's just easier to consult a pharmacist if you
are buying the stuff anyway, they also tend to have the cut off as being
whether it goes through to the milk or not, rather than is the amount in the
milk safe for the baby, or are there any metabolites (things produced when
the drug is broken down in the body) that build up or could be harmful to
the baby.

In the end the only reliable source is Hales, it's just a shame it's very
expensive, so not something many breastfeeding mothers are going to own, it
doesn't seem to be something that any of the helplines in the UK reliably
have access to and the drugs and breastfeeding line run by the breastfeeding
network is only staffed by one person, so there can be quite a delay in her
getting back to you.

I've been really lucky this year in having a breastfeeding drop in clinic
very very locally (for a while we were talking 200m away, now it's a massive
600m) where they have the book, but it's still only a 1.5hr slot once a week
and if the need for a drug develops the following day, it's a long time to
wait.

I'm trying to think of solutions, both locally and nationally!

Anne