Child-led weaning

Old July 31st 06, 01:44 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
[email protected]

Default Child-led weaning

Ds is just over 1yr old and is partially bf'd - one morning and one
evening feed.I don't know anyone personally who has let their child
wean themselves, in fact only my sister bf until her kids were 1. He
isn't really a comfort feeder and doesn't feed to sleep. His evening
feed is pretty short (2-5mins) and his morning not much longer. I am
not planning on getting pregnant, so my milk won't dry up for that
reason. I was just wondering if anyone could give me an idea of what to
expect with their own experiences. I'm quite happy to keep going so
it's really just curiosity.

Thanks

Jeni

Old July 31st 06, 02:50 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Mum of Two

wrote in message
ups.com...
Ds is just over 1yr old and is partially bf'd - one morning and one
evening feed.I don't know anyone personally who has let their child
wean themselves, in fact only my sister bf until her kids were 1. He
isn't really a comfort feeder and doesn't feed to sleep. His evening
feed is pretty short (2-5mins) and his morning not much longer. I am
not planning on getting pregnant, so my milk won't dry up for that
reason. I was just wondering if anyone could give me an idea of what to
expect with their own experiences. I'm quite happy to keep going so
it's really just curiosity.

Well, DD is 25 months and she's been on two feeds (morning and night)
for...hmm...about 6 months or so now? It's hard to say. I went back to work
two days a week when she was 11 months old, and she came into work for a
lunch time feed for a while
She still asks for it ("I want boobie milk now!") but the feed times are
much more flexible, and she's basically missed the odd evening feed to no
ill effect. I'm so pleased I've had the toddler nursing experience, it's so
rewarding. Try having coffee at a cafe with a nationally recognised
breastfeeding advocate, and have your toddler ask for boobie milk in a cup..

--
Amy
Mum to Carlos born sleeping 20/11/02,

Old July 31st 06, 04:24 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Catherine Woodgold

When you're down to two feeds a day normally, it's relatively easy
to skip a feed without getting much or any engorgement. Some people
go through a stage of having one feed a day for a while. It then
becomes even easier to suddenly skip a day or a few days without
much or any engorgement, or to stop completely.

Some toddlers around age 1 or 2 increase their frequency of
feeding -- perhaps especially if they use bf as comfort in
reaction to falling and getting hurt, etc., so maybe not in
your case.

I suspect that children who are using bottles have much
more of a tendency, on average, to "self-wean" from bf
at a younger age than children who have never used bottles --
but each child will have his/her individual pattern.
Old July 31st 06, 06:27 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Anne Rogers

Ds is just over 1yr old and is partially bf'd - one morning and one
evening feed.I don't know anyone personally who has let their child
wean themselves, in fact only my sister bf until her kids were 1. He
isn't really a comfort feeder and doesn't feed to sleep. His evening
feed is pretty short (2-5mins) and his morning not much longer. I am
not planning on getting pregnant, so my milk won't dry up for that
reason. I was just wondering if anyone could give me an idea of what to
expect with their own experiences. I'm quite happy to keep going so
it's really just curiosity.

You could easily end up doing this for 18 months or more. He could drop one
of them at some point and keep the other, or he may demand more, I've
noticed this with Ada recently, who would usually have a similar routine,
that actually she would quite fancy boob at other times too, she's just not
sure how to let us know, and it's not really a screaming matter because
she's not that desparate....

Anne

Old August 1st 06, 10:18 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Chookie

In article . com,
" wrote:

Ds is just over 1yr old and is partially bf'd - one morning and one
evening feed.I don't know anyone personally who has let their child
wean themselves, in fact only my sister bf until her kids were 1. He
isn't really a comfort feeder and doesn't feed to sleep. His evening
feed is pretty short (2-5mins) and his morning not much longer. I am
not planning on getting pregnant, so my milk won't dry up for that
reason. I was just wondering if anyone could give me an idea of what to
expect with their own experiences. I'm quite happy to keep going so
it's really just curiosity.

DS1 will often feed to sleep -- in 5 minutes or so -- and that's the pattern
he's had for the last 3-4 years...

--
Chookie -- Sydney, Australia

Kerry Cue
Old August 1st 06, 06:38 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
[email protected]

I would consider my 2.5 year old to be self weaned. I stopped
breastfeeding her at 18 months when she basically told me enough. She
has always been one to try new things like wanting to drink from cups
at four months old, and she in so many ways told me she was ready to
stop then. She basically become easily distracted at Breastfeedings and
began to look for someone to comfort her besides me. She seemed to
think that I was a wet nurse like she should come to me if she wanted
to be feed, and we have always had a close relationship.If that
explains it well.

I can actually tell you the exact scenario: My sis was visiting, which
harldy ever happens. She was sleepy and cranky ready for a nap. I could
not get her to calm down so I offered the breast it made her even more
upset. She then walked to every one in the room looking for comfort my
mom, my sis, the dog, all gave her attention and comfort but she was
not satifisfied she then walked back to me and I offered her the breast
she was still upset. I took her out of the room and bit her down for a
nap by sleeping beside her but she was upset still. My poor baby, I
felt like I was holding her back she wanted to be independant. I
decided to attempt to wean her, if she wanted. And she did.

She was already walking and drink whole milk from a cup at one year. I
kept bfing her for the benefits to her immune system I wanted and want
the best for her. But the change in her attitude towards me and her
breastfeeding sessions in general (which where down to morning and
night time) told me she was ready to move on. She stopped "cold turkey"
I gave her whole milk in place of feedings she was a bit confused but
she was completly okay with it. I even offered her the breast but she
chose the whole milk instead.

ohhh, and had terrible engorgement as a result, went on for over a week
if I remember.

Old August 4th 06, 01:39 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
[email protected]

Thanks everyone for your replies. Interesting reading.

Jeni

Old August 5th 06, 12:22 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Xavier

wrote in message
ups.com...
Ds is just over 1yr old and is partially bf'd - one morning and one
evening feed.I don't know anyone personally who has let their child
wean themselves, in fact only my sister bf until her kids were 1. He
isn't really a comfort feeder and doesn't feed to sleep. His evening
feed is pretty short (2-5mins) and his morning not much longer. I am
not planning on getting pregnant, so my milk won't dry up for that
reason. I was just wondering if anyone could give me an idea of what to
expect with their own experiences. I'm quite happy to keep going so
it's really just curiosity.

Thanks

Jeni

My daughter turned 4 in June and until I went back to work was still nursing
twice a day (once at bedtime, and once when she awoke). Now that I'm
working nights at least 3 days a week I'm not at home for her to nurse at
night but the majority of the time she does still nurse when she gets up in
the mornings. There are nights that I close and then have to open the next
morning, on those days she won't nurse at all. I'm sure we'll still be
going for quite a while.

Carrie