Is standing in the corner forbidden now?

Old November 15th 04, 08:06 PM
Graham

Default Is standing in the corner forbidden now?

I know that in today's "improved" public school
systems, with their hypersensitivities about
everything, and stacking the deck against the little
Anglo males, some things that were once a common part
of the education of our youth, are now taboo. Is standing
in the corner a no-no now? I can remember being sent to
the corner of the classroom in 1st grade once (1963-'64
school year) and I don't think I was too damaged in life
by it. I can remember thinking it was kind of neat standing
there staring at the corner of those cement block walls.

BTW, my 1st-grade teacher still lives (well into her 80s now)
and her home is just a quarter mile from my Mom's house.
I think I'll drop in one day and scream at her for ruining
my life for making me stand in the corner that day.

But getting back to the nutty schools now...It cracks me up
when I hear about all the "counselors" ready for the hypersensitive
kids now whenever some classmate is killed in an accident, say.
(It's no wonder that the amount of money (largely) squandered on
public education today is astronomical; and it ain't producing better
students from what I've seen...) Hells bells, kids died and got
killed when I was young too, but we never needed any "counselors."

It always amuses me when I hear some stupid TV news monkey, or
school official, blubber that students are "trying to make sense of"
or "trying to understand" how some recent tragedy could have happened.
Then of course comes the cursory mourning, complete with hugging, crying
kids in from of the cameras, and (usually) cursory roadside memorial
featuring flowers and other mementos, including a teddy bear
or two sometimes. We recently had a typical case of three teens
being killed in a car wreck. The 16 year-old driver was a junenile
delinquent whose granny (who was raising him) was about to ship him
off to military school or some such when the wreck happened. I believe
the car he was driving had also been reported stolen. Anyway, there was
the usual cooing about how the young girl (who was such a wonderful person)
in the car being killed like this just didn't, you guessed it,
make sense. Well, when a wonderful teenage girl gets into a car with
a junenile delinquent past midnight, and he takes off at 80 mph on a
residential road and loses control, it's pretty easy to make sense of
it, i.e. do something reckless and stupid, and you can likely die. But
I guess they're still trying to make sense of it.

--
Graham
Old November 19th 04, 01:54 PM
jitney

Like any entrenched bureaucracy, the education establishment exists,
not for the students, but as a full employment program for an army of
administrators, assistants, assistants to assistants, and yes,
shrinks. Having to justify their presense on the payroll, they create
needs that aren't really needs and other alternate realities. Part of
this process is an elaborate and complex vocabulary meant to confuse
rather than describe, and to make complicated what is really simple so
as to require a large staff of degreed professionals who, in a well
ordered society, would be pushing a broom or cleaning toilets. Many
parents have given up on what former Education Secretary William
Bennett called "the blob" (referring to the intransigence of the
education establishment) and turned to private schools and home
schooling with a high rate of success.-Jitney
Old November 19th 04, 08:34 PM
Gray Shockley

On Fri, 19 Nov 2004 7:54:13 -0600, jitney wrote
(in message ) :

Like any entrenched bureaucracy, the education establishment exists,
not for the students, but as a full employment program for an army of
administrators, assistants, assistants to assistants, and yes,
shrinks. Having to justify their presense on the payroll, they create
needs that aren't really needs and other alternate realities. Part of
this process is an elaborate and complex vocabulary meant to confuse
rather than describe, and to make complicated what is really simple so
as to require a large staff of degreed professionals who,

in a well ordered society,

would be pushing a broom or cleaning toilets. Many
parents have given up on what former Education Secretary William
Bennett called "the blob" (referring to the intransigence of the
education establishment) and turned to private schools and home
schooling with a high rate of success.-Jitney

With the collapse of the Soviet Union, there really aren't enough
"well ordered societies" to go around these days.

But you can always look for "a well ordered society" in North Korea,
Cuba and Red China.

Gray Shockley
Pain is evitable but suffering is optional.

Old November 20th 04, 06:53 PM
Graham

Gray Shockley wrote in message s.com...

With the collapse of the Soviet Union, there really aren't enough
"well ordered societies" to go around these days.

But you can always look for "a well ordered society" in North Korea,
Cuba and Red China.

How about the U.S. prior to the mid-1960s? Our country has been running
on momentum ever since; and slowy losing it.

BTW, schools TODAY are more like something from the old USSR, with
their attempts at thought control, discouragment of individual
achievement, vigorous suppression of any hint of Christian influences,
among other things...

--
Graham
Old November 21st 04, 12:52 AM
Graham

QDurham wrote:

BTW, schools TODAY are more like something from the old USSR, with
their attempts at thought control, discouragment of individual
achievement, vigorous suppression of any hint of Christian influences,
among other things...

This has got to be a troll.

The usual easy escape...don't bother addressing the point (which
is based on facts), just discount it as a troll.

I suspect it was the "Christian" part that got your little panties
in a wad. I'm all for separation of church and state, but it's
a fact that any mention anything Christian in public schools now
causes immediate ape-**** reaction by the leftists who run them.

Don't forget Q, this is still a very Christian nation (over 85%).
This nation was founded by men who (most of them anyway) belonged
to the faith. Every single piece of coinage and paper money minted
has "In God We Trust" on it. Congress opens each session with
a prayer to the Judeo-Christian God, so get over it and take
a reality check.

--
Graham
Old November 21st 04, 01:26 AM
Dave Thompson

"Graham" wrote in message
m...
QDurham wrote:

BTW, schools TODAY are more like something from the old USSR, with
their attempts at thought control, discouragment of individual
achievement, vigorous suppression of any hint of Christian influences,
among other things...

This has got to be a troll.

The usual easy escape...don't bother addressing the point (which
is based on facts), just discount it as a troll.

I suspect it was the "Christian" part that got your little panties
in a wad. I'm all for separation of church and state, but it's
a fact that any mention anything Christian in public schools now
causes immediate ape-**** reaction by the leftists who run them.

Only because of an equal ape **** reaction from the Fundy crowd (please note
that I am distinguishing them from all Christians) who are forcing prayer in
school, creationism, and bible study issues through the political arena.
After a while it gets old and you wonder what it is they don't understand
about teaching their own children their religious beliefs and leaving others
out of it.

Don't forget Q, this is still a very Christian nation (over 85%).

That is broken down into hundreds of sects and factions that don't agree.
Since these groups belittle each other for the rights to other people's
souls, it really is unrealistic to claim that we are Christian and have it
mean anything. As far as evangelicals are concerned, they are the only real
Christians and they don't even amount to 15% of that 85%. Heck, if you look
it up you'd find that the largest single denomination is Roman Catholic,
that those that are unbelievers, unchurched, and unworshiping Christians are
the fastest growing group in the country.

This nation was founded by men who (most of them anyway) belonged
to the faith.

That's specious, too. Many were Unitarians (who the evangelicals loath) and
none were of the faith who are the biggest abusers of the idea that we are a
Christian nation. Don't forget that these founders were concerned with
religious freedom not only because that's why the original colonists
arrived, but also because they were seeing almost every state trying to
establish it's own state church. I doubt if the founders were alive today
and running for office that the conservative Christians would support their
politics at all and would surely denounce their religion.

Every single piece of coinage and paper money minted
has "In God We Trust" on it.

That did not happen untill 1863 on some coins, was halted in 1865, was
restored on some coins in 1908, and did not become an offical motto until
1956. And it was hardly done by the people's vote.

Congress opens each session with
a prayer to the Judeo-Christian God, so get over it and take
a reality check.

What you need to get over is that some people take offense to attempts of
the religious conservatives to slowly infuse this country with their beliefs
and try to use the government to endorse their religion. People have a right
in this country to believe or not believe as they see fit, and for those of
us who object to the religious and political doctrine of evangelicals,
reformationists, and fundamentalists being foisted upon us through
government, we have a right to point it out as it happens. Ask yourself, is
school prayer really about freedom of religion for the children of
evangelicals, or is it about proselytization of those of us who are not
believers? I don't think it's too much to ask to leave worship out of the
curriculum of our public schools. There are many other places and
opportunities where it is available.

Old November 21st 04, 03:31 AM
Gray Shockley

On Sat, 20 Nov 2004 18:52, Graham wrote:

I'm all for separation of church and state, but . . .

That certainly takes care of that.

++ gray //

Old November 21st 04, 07:01 AM
Gray Shockley

Actual "facts" are from C-Span, btw. /g/

On Sat, 20 Nov 2004 18:52, Graham the Redneck wrote:

Don't forget Q, this is still a very Christian nation (over 85%).

And brown haired, brown-eyed and female.

So, if you're not a browq-haired, brown-eyed, female, Christian (if in word
if not in deed), you need to get out of the way of the majority. The "norm"
for Christians attending their "see and be seen" services is skirts, so
skirts should - obviously - be worn when attending church services.

Of course, it might be pointed out that the majority of men who cheat on
their wives, the overwhelming majority of alcoholics, most all druggies,
liars, thieves, child molesters, murderers, rapists, safecrackers, crooked
politicians (see below), armed robbers, prostitutes, corrupt police, traitors
and ministers are all self-professed Christians. (And as convicted criminal
and ex-convict Charles "Have you seen the new "Chuckie" Colson has proved,
professing a Christian belief when one has been so obviously on the same
level as the traditional "whale snot" certainly is lucrative even if it
necessitates one remaining on the same level as "whale snot".)

This nation was founded by men who (most of them anyway) belonged
to the faith.

So there should be interest in god-damning those flounders who weren't in the
"majority". I bet these "most of them anyway" would have loved to cram "the
faith" up the asses of non-believers and people who don't care for bullies.

As late as my my teenage years, the brave Christians who stood up for "the
faith" and killed ******s and ******-lovers as well as Roman Atheists and
Kikes, of course, showed their love for their lord, Jesus Christ, with the
burning of the cross and the murders - oops! the sacrifices - to show purity
in reverence to their White God, Our Father and His only Son, that Protestant
young gentleman and that Ghost or Spirit or something like that which is way
too complicated but can't be like Casper and Wendy and those very, very white
ghosts.

Every single piece of coinage and paper money minted
has "In God We Trust" on it.

So when people make reference to Jesus losing his cool and throwing the
moneychangers out of the temple, we should God-damn the lying turkeys who
profess to be Christians while behaving as Pharasees, eh?

It appears that the two most important Sacraments are the two most often
participated in: passing the collection plate and bingo.

And even Paul the Perv said to Tim the Tipsy that, "Love of money is the root
of all evil."

Sorta seems as if anyone who advocates or even fails to indicate his/her
displeasure at their God being made into a whore is a piece of blasphemous
stinking offal, the only use of said effal to stoke the fires of hell.

"Hey, I need some smaller Gods. If you've got a tin God, a five God and five
Godettes, I'll give ya a twenty God.

"Wow! You're burning those Gods like He grows on trees." (oops!)

Congress opens each session with
a prayer to the Judeo-Christian God,

Uh, "Judeo-" is hardly in there - kinda like not in the leaat, Blubba. Check
it out, Cracker Barrel:

The House chaplain earns $139,000 per year, and the Senate chaplain's salary
is $122,400. House chaplains have come from nine denominations: Methodist
(21), Presbyterian (17), Baptist (8), Episcopalian (4), Christian (2),
Congregationalist (2), Unitarian (2), Lutheran (1), and Universalist (1).

Senate chaplains have represented eight Denominations: Episcopalian (19),
Methodist (17), Presbyterian (14), Baptist (6), Unitarian (2),
Congregationalist (1), Lutheran (1), and Roman Catholic (1).

Ah, you mean like Tom DeLay, Republican Godman from Texas or Trent Lott,
Republican GodMan from Mississippi? "Let us prey", eh?

Do you think, oops/ Do you believe that these Chaplains - these highly paid
moneychangers - these guys "making a buck or two on the Lord" - are, perhaps,
praying that the United States not be destroyed by the House and/or the
Senate as they help "explain the ways of God to Man".

Perhaps, that's why this explanation is in "Paradise Lost" rather than "The
Book of Really Low-Down & Dirty Common Prayer".

You may - you, in particular - may be confusing "pandering" with "praying".

so get over it and take a reality check.

Yeah, I grew up having people tell me that. However, once I noticed the
people who kept saying - over and over - that I should just accept evil
because I couldn't do anything about it - those people were bouncing reality
checks all over the countryside.

++ gray //

Old November 21st 04, 03:34 PM
Graham

Gray Shockley wrote in message s.com...

Whew! Long anti-Christian tirade snipped

Yep, I was right. It was the Christian part that set you off.
But I can't disagree that Christianity has hypocrites, as all
religions do. That doesn't, however, change the fact that
this nation was built with a great Christian influence, and that
the majority of citizens still belong to the faith, at least
officially.

--
Graham