nintendo ds

Old February 11th 09, 06:28 PM posted to misc.kids
Ericka

Default nintendo ds

Stormlady wrote:
I THINK that the built in wifi only connects to other DS's, you can't go
online with it searching for games or anything like that.

The internet connection is mediated by the games/Nintendo's
network, so the interactions you can have are determined by the
games you're using. However, one of the "games" you can buy is
a web browser, at which point you definitely can go surfing the
web.

The 2 systems
have to be in pretty close proximity for it to work and one has to agree to
download the game for them to play.

There are two different things involved here. There's
the DS-to-DS wireless for which the range is about 65 feet.
That's used for pictochat and for multiplayer gaming when
everyone is relatively near each other. For some games everyone
has to have a copy of the game, and for others only one player
needs to have the game and the others download it from him or her.
There's also the WiFi connection where the DS connects through a
wireless router to the internet over Nintendo's network to play
games with people anywhere in the world. Each player needs to
enter the other player's "friend code" to be able to play this
way, and the interaction is limited to whatever the game provides
for (which generally doesn't include chatting), but you can play
with people who are far away.

There is also a chat program built in
to the DS, but same thing, you have to be close to the other DS.

Correct. And in pictochat, you can't limit whose
broadcasts you receive. You receive everyone within range
whose broadcasting, and you broadcast to everyone in range
who's receiving.

Best wishes,
Ericka
Old February 11th 09, 09:25 PM posted to misc.kids
Stormlady

"Ericka" wrote in message

There's also the WiFi connection where the DS connects through a
wireless router to the internet over Nintendo's network to play
games with people anywhere in the world.

Do you need to buy the WiFi adapter to use this feature? I've had my DS for
going on 2 years now and didn't know I could do this. (I'm a big kid, I
know, ha ha)

Old February 11th 09, 11:20 PM posted to misc.kids
toypup[_2_]

"Ericka" wrote in message

There are two different things involved here. There's
the DS-to-DS wireless for which the range is about 65 feet.
That's used for pictochat and for multiplayer gaming when
everyone is relatively near each other. For some games everyone
has to have a copy of the game, and for others only one player
needs to have the game and the others download it from him or her.
There's also the WiFi connection where the DS connects through a
wireless router to the internet over Nintendo's network to play
games with people anywhere in the world. Each player needs to
enter the other player's "friend code" to be able to play this
way, and the interaction is limited to whatever the game provides
for (which generally doesn't include chatting), but you can play
with people who are far away.

Thank you. This is the function I am most concerned with. I also thought
Pictochat was something they could do through WiFi, but I guess not. It all
sounds pretty secure. Thanks, guys.

Old February 11th 09, 11:34 PM posted to misc.kids
Ericka

Stormlady wrote:
"Ericka" wrote in message

There's also the WiFi connection where the DS connects through a
wireless router to the internet over Nintendo's network to play
games with people anywhere in the world.

Do you need to buy the WiFi adapter to use this feature? I've had my DS for
going on 2 years now and didn't know I could do this. (I'm a big kid, I
know, ha ha)

;-) Nope, it's built in. Can be a bit of a pain
to get connected, depending on your network setup, but
it's there!

Best wishes,
Ericka
Old February 11th 09, 11:39 PM posted to misc.kids
Ericka

toypup wrote:

"Ericka" wrote in message

[...]

It's kind of weird. It is all through the WiFi, but
the long distance one connects through the internet and Nintendo's
network. The local thing is through the same wireless hardware,
I think, but is just DS-to-DS and is therefore geographically
constrained.

Our wireless network is reasonably secure, and we
rode herd on what friend codes they used. I didn't worry too
much about the pictochat except to give them the usual
periodic lectures on it not being private and being cautious
about any strangers who appeared in pictochat.

Best wishes,
Ericka
Old February 12th 09, 01:06 AM posted to misc.kids
dejablues[_4_]

"Ericka" wrote in message
Stormlady wrote:
"Ericka" wrote in message

There's also the WiFi connection where the DS connects through a
wireless router to the internet over Nintendo's network to play
games with people anywhere in the world.

Do you need to buy the WiFi adapter to use this feature? I've had my DS
for going on 2 years now and didn't know I could do this. (I'm a big
kid, I know, ha ha)

;-) Nope, it's built in. Can be a bit of a pain
to get connected, depending on your network setup, but
it's there!

My kids (19, 15, and 11) swear you have to buy the adapter to get onto the
web at large.
The DS right out of the box just lets you play with people 100 ft away or
so.

Old February 12th 09, 03:51 AM posted to misc.kids
Ericka

dejablues wrote:
"Ericka" wrote in message
Stormlady wrote:
"Ericka" wrote in message

There's also the WiFi connection where the DS connects through a
wireless router to the internet over Nintendo's network to play
games with people anywhere in the world.

Do you need to buy the WiFi adapter to use this feature? I've had my DS
for going on 2 years now and didn't know I could do this. (I'm a big
kid, I know, ha ha)

;-) Nope, it's built in. Can be a bit of a pain
to get connected, depending on your network setup, but
it's there!

My kids (19, 15, and 11) swear you have to buy the adapter to get onto the
web at large.
The DS right out of the box just lets you play with people 100 ft away or
so.

My kids don't have any attachments and they've
done it. They have DS Lites. Don't know if that makes
a difference.

Best wishes,
Ericka
Old February 12th 09, 03:54 AM posted to misc.kids
Ericka

dejablues wrote:

My kids (19, 15, and 11) swear you have to buy the adapter to get onto the
web at large.
The DS right out of the box just lets you play with people 100 ft away or
so.

Whoops, I should say that you *do* have to buy
the web browser if you want to surf the web. You don't
need anything attached to the DS to play games over the
internet through Nintendo's network. You just need the
game, a connection to a wireless network, and an exchange
of friend codes.

Best wishes,
Ericka
Old February 12th 09, 01:35 PM posted to misc.kids
dejablues[_4_]

"Ericka" wrote in message
dejablues wrote:

My kids (19, 15, and 11) swear you have to buy the adapter to get onto
the web at large.
The DS right out of the box just lets you play with people 100 ft away
or so.

Whoops, I should say that you *do* have to buy
the web browser if you want to surf the web. You don't
need anything attached to the DS to play games over the
internet through Nintendo's network. You just need the
game, a connection to a wireless network, and an exchange
of friend codes.

That is true, but all you can do is play the game together. You can't chat
or do anything outside of the game parameters.

Old February 12th 09, 03:25 PM posted to misc.kids
Ericka

dejablues wrote:
"Ericka" wrote in message
dejablues wrote:

My kids (19, 15, and 11) swear you have to buy the adapter to get onto
the web at large.
The DS right out of the box just lets you play with people 100 ft away
or so.

Whoops, I should say that you *do* have to buy
the web browser if you want to surf the web. You don't
need anything attached to the DS to play games over the
internet through Nintendo's network. You just need the
game, a connection to a wireless network, and an exchange
of friend codes.

That is true, but all you can do is play the game together. You can't chat
or do anything outside of the game parameters.

Right (although it's a good idea to check out
the games to see what's allowed in the gameplay--games
could come out that would allow some kind of interaction).

Best wishes,
Ericka

Nintendo Wii KidFaves General 0 October 20th 06 06:41 PM
I'M SELLING MY NINTENDO DS (s) Nintendo DS 4 Sale General 2 December 28th 04 05:40 PM
I'M SELLING MY NINTENDO DS (s) Nintendo DS 4 Sale Foster Parents 0 November 28th 04 03:47 PM
I'M SELLING MY NINTENDO DS (s) Nintendo DS 4 Sale Single Parents 0 November 28th 04 03:46 PM
The Evil Nintendo BenJune52 Single Parents 3 July 23rd 03 01:47 AM