Potty progress!

Old February 6th 04, 09:35 PM
mom2fallbabies

Default Potty progress!

As some of you remember, my 3 yrs 3 mo old son has had some
developmental delays. He is closing the gap on catching up, but still
struggles with some gross motor and fine motor delays,as well as
speech delay. He can express his needs just fine, but is still learing
the art of conversation, and to not "echo' what is being said to him.
So we were not sure how to go about this potty training business.

For quite some time he has been interested in sitting on it, flushing
and stuff. He would just not actually USE it. With his low muscle tone
we weren't sure he was able to understand his body's signals. A week
ago he began asking me for a pullup if he happened to be without one.
A few days ago he woke up dry from his nap. A minute later I asked
what he was doing and he said he was peeing in his pullup. I decided
if he was that aware of what he was doing then he definitely had the
understanding of his body.

On the advice of a friend who teaches preschool for kids with
disabilities, we took the pullups away during the day. Later that
evening, after he had been dry in underwear for several hours, he
leaked a tiny bit. DH took him into the bathroom and proceeded to wait
with him for TWO HOURS till he peed. There was no scolding or anything
like that. They just hung out and read books and talked. He finally
peed and was highly congratulated. He spent the next day in underwear
and did great as far as peeing goes. He held the poop for pullups
which I made no issue out of.

Today he again was taking himself to the potty to pee, and then went
right in there and pooped all on his own!!!

I feel this is such a victory and am so happy, given the other
behavior issues we've had lately. At least we can get him to do
'something'!

DH wanted to put him to bed last night in underwear, but I told him we
are way early in this potty training business. One thing at a time.
When do we know when he is ready to go without pullups for bedtime? He
often wakes dry from naps but never after all night.

Amanda, mom to Aaron 3 yrs and
Madeline 3 mos.
Old February 6th 04, 11:50 PM
Beth Kevles

Hi -

That's GREAT news about the potty training.

For nights, switch to underpants when he goes for a week staying dry at
night. If you can, check him out early in the morning, about 30 minutes
before he'd normally wake up. If his pullup is dry, then he *may* be
being "lazy" and peeing in it before he gets out of bed. But if it's
wet already, then he's certainly still wetting in his sleep.

Some kids take a long time to stay dry at night, others don't. One of
my kids was dry at night BEFORE being dry in the daytime. (About age 2.)
The other was wet at night for several (5+) YEARS after staying dry and
clean during waking hours. And the kids have no conscious control over
it.

COngratulations,
--Beth Kevles

like me to reply.

Potty Help Please (x-posted) Drop50 General 19 February 8th 04 09:38 PM
Update - child-led potty training Cathy Weeks General 2 November 22nd 03 11:00 PM
OT - Potty training - can it be child-led? (xpost) Cathy Weeks General 40 November 21st 03 10:05 PM
potty training lynn General 8 August 6th 03 10:37 PM
Frustrated - Potty training Infocus General 8 July 16th 03 05:04 PM