Bravo Sarah! (Dr. Sarah Vaughan)

Old October 22nd 04, 12:57 AM
Todd Gastaldo

Default Bravo Sarah! (Dr. Sarah Vaughan)

BRAVO SARAH! (DR. SARAH VAUGHAN)

Sarah,

I think you are the first medical doctor to have done something like this on
misc.kids.pregnancy!

How sad that the midwife showed the 70s video of dorsal deliveries/birth
canal closed up to 30% instead of the squatting video.

How sad that the MIDWIFE didn't spontaneously mention that the women were
being made to close their birth canals up to 30%; though maybe (hope, hope,
hope) she was about to...

YAY! Sarah for speaking up!

Further comment below #########

"Sarah Vaughan" wrote in message
Last week, at our antenatal class, the topic of the evening was normal
labour. After a talk from the midwife, we watched a video showing two
normal deliveries, and the midwife then asked whether we had any
questions.

Me: "Well, I couldn't help notice that both those women seemed to be
spending an awful lot of time just lying on their backs."

Midwife: "Yes, you're quite right. That's a very old video - did you
notice the first lady's 70's hairstyle? - and these days we put much
more emphasis on getting women to move around into different positions."

Me: "I've been reading that if you lie or sit down in the second stage,
it closes off quite a lot of the space in your birth canal because of
the pressure on your tailbone. What I've read is that you should try
positions like squatting, or on all fours, or lying on your side, or
maybe even standing, to *get off your tailbone*, because it just gives
so much more space."

###### Always tell them WHO you've been reading - a "troll" on
misc.kids.pregnancy. : )

Midwife: "That's quite right. I wish I could have shown you the video
of the woman who gave birth in a squat [home birth video which she
hadn't been able to show us due to time constraints] because it was so
much gentler and easier than those deliveries - the baby just seemed to
come straight out."

##### It would be so cool if the midwife was going to say this on her own.

Just because I'm not prepared to join your crusade of pestering complete
strangers on the subject doesn't mean I'm not prepared to give a word to
the wise in appropriate situations where it's actually plausible that
someone _will_ listen. I just don't go about it in the way you do.
;-)

##### Sarah, you are medical doctor. I am a chiropractic doctor. We both
know it is a felony for OBs to ignore simple biomechanics and the medical
literature and close birth canals.

##### It is also a felony for OBs to ignore simple biomechanics and the
medical literature and KEEP birth canals closed as they violently push on
tiny spines (with oxytocin and Cytotec) and gruesomely pull (with hands,
forceps, vaccums)...

##### Sometimes the criminal negligence escalates to criminally negligent
homicide - i.e. - babies sometimes die as OBs claim they are doing
everything possible to open birth canals maximally - even as they keep birth
canals closed up to 30%.

#### Most of the time babies "only" have their spines gruesomely wrenched.
(ALL spinal manipulation is gruesome with the birth canal closed up to 30%.)

#### You suggest that strangers won't listen. SOME strangers are
listening, Sarah - right here on misc.kids.pregnancy. Some MKPeers will
listen more closely now that a MEDICAL doctor is saying it - which is the
main reason for my BRAVO!

#### OTHER complete strangers - called sheriffs and district attorneys here
in the colonies - are PAID to listen - especially when serious crimes are
being committed.

#### Why not "pester" someone in law enforcement over there in Jolly Ole?

#### AFTER ALL, you might benefit some of the TINIEST complete strangers -
esp. those who are having OBs pull with forceps with the birth canal
senselessly closed up to 30%. (What do you think the sensation is like for a
baby when a tiny nerve rips out of a tiny spinal cord? What do you think a
parent would want you to do? Why should parents at an antenatal class have
to view 70s videos with women closing their birth canals? Was THAT
appropriate? I think a medical doctor can bear to "pester" law enforcement
about this massive obstetric felony - in "appropriate situations" of
course - like RIGHT NOW - or maybe after your baby is born - yes - after -
it would be too much stress likely.)

#### Sorry to get serious on you Sarah - the zeal monster caught up to me
again. I think it was your word "pestering" and your phrase "appropriate
situations." When is it NOT appropriate to help the helpless? Why should
parents have to ASK OBs and midwives for what is a MASSIVE amount of
"extra" room at the outlet in some women? ("Massive" BTW was the word used,
I think, in British OB Richard Lilford's lame radiographic attempted
cover-up a few years back. I think it was Lilford and Gupta who called
Russell's 30%number "massive." 30% *is* massive. Considerably LESS outlet
area is massive when a baby is stuck.

##### You took a HUGE step - Sarah - you are the first MD to speak out like
that publicly on MKP.

##### My zeal dampens the spirit a bit - maybe a lot - but I am quite
sincere when I say...

##### BRAVO SARAH!

##### I am going down to the Scholl's Public House tonite for pizza to
celebrate. Scholl's Pub, BTW, has the best pizza in Portland Oregon
according to a recent survey. I will shake off the zeal monster there -
with a couple of pints of stout.

##### Thanks Sarah - I mean that sincerely.

Todd

Dr. Gastaldo

PS Yeah, it galls me to think that pregnant women have to ASK for the
"extra" room in the birth canal - and OBs routinely KEEP birth canals closed
when babies get stuck. Sheesh. "Pestering" indeed. Damn zeal monster...