INDIANAPOLIS -- Special Report - A Parent's Rights

Old May 20th 08, 09:49 PM posted to alt.support.child-protective-services,alt.support.foster-parents,alt.dads-rights.unmoderated,alt.parenting.spanking
fx

Default INDIANAPOLIS -- Special Report - A Parent's Rights

Special Report - A Parent's Rights

http://www.wishtv.com/Global/story.asp?S=8349522

INDIANAPOLIS (WISH) - The birth of a baby should be one of the most
exciting moments a couple will ever experience. But an aggressive
campaign by the state to screen newborn infants turned that moment into
a nightmare for one couple.

Little Kate Ellis is healthy and normal but her birth was traumatic for
her parents. It started just minutes after Kate was born.

Kate's father, Mike Ellis, said a doctor walked in and told Kate's
mother that he was going to have to administer methadone.

Ellis said he was shocked and worried about giving such a powerful drug
to his daughter.

"And I knew methadone...I've heard in the past that is for people that
have a heroin habit. That threw up red flags immediately. I said, 'We're
not doing that,' immediately," said Ellis.

Ellis was in a panic. His baby had just been born at Methodist Towers.
He wanted to talk with a pediatrician.

His wife, Shannon Ellis, was in a panic too. But her medical history is
what triggered the methadone suggestion.

Shannon said her doctor had prescribed hydrocodone for her after she
suffered injures in a February car accident. She and Mike trusted that
the prescribed drug would not affect the baby.

"Why would you prescribe this to her if this was going to be an
issue?...He didn't have an answer for any time I asked that. I said,
'I'm very upset'," said Mike.

"If I had to do it all over again I would have dealt with the pain,"
said Shannon.

It turns out that anytime a mother is on a drug, prescription or not, a
doctor can order a newborn to be screened. If a parent questions or
protests, which Mike Ellis did, the red flags go up and the state takes
action.

Back at the hospital a urine drug screen result on Kate was negative.
But it was already too late. Child Protective Services was in the
process of taking custody of her away from Mike and Shannon.

All the Ellises had to do to raise suspicion and get the state involved
was simply ask for their own doctor's second opinion on whether it was
necessary to give their baby the powerful drug, methadone.

Judge Marilyn Moores did not rule directly in the case, but heads up the
Marion County Juvenile Court.

"Because of the huge number of children we are seeing who are born
exposed or addicted to drugs and what a devastating thing that can be
for children and how hard it is to find them after the fact, the system
reacts pretty quickly," said Moore.

For the Ellises the system was too quick and, as they saw it, unfair.

"If this is something they do with everybody in the state of Indiana,
okay. But that's not the case. I mean they cornered her immediately for
something they prescribed for her and treated her like she's a drug
addict," said Mike.

Infant drug screenings are not mandatory for all babies born in Indiana.
And not all Indianapolis hospitals do the tests.

So the state removed Kate from her parents and placed her in foster
care. Remember, the urine test for hydrocodone in the baby's system was
negative.

The Ellises had to go to court to get their baby back, which meant more
of a burden.

"We're going to sell her vehicle to be able to get an attorney to be
able to fight to get our daughter back," said Mike.

Three days later, the Ellises were in juvenile court and the news was
good. The judge ordered the release of the child back to them.

"I think the mistake is made that they were not advised of the potential
need for treatment...and the reasons for it," said Jim Lowery, the
Ellises' attorney.

Judge Moores said when parents go against medical advice, that's a red
flag in the system.

Kate Ellis was reunited with her mom and dad about an hour after the
hearing.

"I think Child Protective Services has way too much power. And I think
the hospital, I feel the same way. It's supposed to be a joyous event
when you have a baby and this turned into, in essence, into a
nightmare," said Mike.

Mike Ellis thinks the system has too much power.

Judge Moores sees the issue from a different perspective.

"Well I guess my response to that is, that infant...that newborn baby
has no power, has no one to speak for him or her.

A Merconium screen, a different kind of test that takes several days to
complete, did show little Kate Ellis had been exposed to the drug her
mother had taken.

Judge Moores said her court sees hundreds of infants exposed to drugs at
birth. She said the only way to get them treatment is aggressive
testing. If that means parents lose custody for a few days, it's better
that than having a dead baby.

Report by Debby Knox, WISH. Edited by Andrew Bonner.

An Inconvenient Truth about Child Protective Services, Foster care, and
the Child Protection "INDUSTRY"

Child Protective Services Does not protect children...
It is sickening how many children are subject to abuse, neglect and even
killed at the hands of CPS.

every parent should read the free handbook from
connecticut dcf watch...

http://www.connecticutdcfwatch.com

Number of Cases per 100,000 children in the US
These numbers come from The National Center on
Child Abuse and Neglect in Washington. (NCCAN)
Recent numbers have increased significantly for CPS

Perpetrators of Maltreatment

Physical Abuse CPS/Foster care 160, biological Parents 59
Sexual Abuse CPS/Foster care 112, biological Parents 13
Neglect CPS/Foster care 410, biological Parents 241
Medical Neglect CPS/Foster care 14 biological Parents 12
Fatalities CPS/Foster care 6.4, biological Parents 1.5

Imagine that, 6.4 children die at the hands of the very agencies that
are supposed to protect them and only 1.5 at the hands of parents per
100,000 children. CPS perpetrates more abuse, neglect, and sexual abuse
and kills more children then parents in the United States. If the
citizens of this country hold CPS to the same standards that they hold
parents too. No judge should ever put another child in the hands of ANY
government agency because CPS nationwide is guilty of more harm and
death than any human being combined. CPS nationwide is guilty of more
human rights violations and deaths of children then the homes from which
they were removed. When are the judges going to wake up and see that
they are sending children to their death and a life of abuse when
children are removed from safe homes based on the mere opinion of a
bunch of social workers.

THIS IS AMERICA'S HIDDEN HOLOCAUST

Currently Child Protective Services violates more constitutionally
guaranteed liberties & civil rights on a daily basis then all other
agencies combined, Including the National Security agency/Central
intelligence agency wiretaping programs…

THE CORRUPT BUSINESS OF CHILD PROTECTIVE SERVICES
BY: Nancy Schaefer Senator, 50th District of Georgia

http://www.senatornancyschaefer.com/...s.php?filter=6

This is Child Protection?
By Gregory A. Hession, J.D.

http://www.jbs.org/node/4632

Mercenary Motherhood: "Memoirs of a Babystealer."

http://www.latimes.com/news/opinion/...nion-rightrail

FOSTER CARE IS A 80 PERCENT FAILU. A Brief Analysis of the Casey
Family Programs. Northwest Foster Care Alumni Study. By Richard Wexler

http://www.nccpr.org/reports/cfpanalysis.doc

HOW THE WAR AGAINST CHILD ABUSE BECAME A WAR AGAINST CHILDREN

http://www.nccpr.org/issues/1.html

Adoption Bonuses: The Money Behind the Madness
DSS and affiliates rewarded for breaking up families
By Nev Moore Massachusetts News

http://www.massnews.com/past_issues/...May/mayds4.htm

A recent study has found that 12-18 months after leaving foster ca

30% of the nation’s homeless are former foster children.
27% of the males and 10% of the females had been incarcerated
33% were receiving public assistance
37% had not finished high school
2% receive a college degree
50% were unemployed

Children in foster care are three to six times more likely than children
not in care to have emotional, behavioral and developmental problems,
including conduct disorders, depression, difficulties in school and
impaired social relationships. Some experts estimate that about 30% of
the children in care have marked or severe emotional problems. Various
studies have indicated that children and young people in foster care
tend to have limited education and job skills, perform poorly in school
compared to children who are not in foster care, lag behind in their
education by at least one year, and have lower educational attainment
than the general population.
*Casey Family Programs National Center for Resource Family Support

80 percent of prison inmates have been through the foster care system.

The highest ranking federal official in charge of foster care, Wade Horn
of the Department of Health and Human Services, is a former child
psychologist who says the foster care system is a giant mess and should
just be blown up.

http://abcnews.go.com/print?id=2017991

Four rigorous studies have found that at least 30 percent of America’s
foster children could be home right now if their parents had decent housing.

This study found thousands of children already in foster care who would
have done better had child protection agencies not taken them away in
the first place.

Front-page story in USA Today.

http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/...m?csp=34#Close

Read the studies online.

Casey "alumni" study: "Improving Family Foster Ca Findings from the
Northwest Foster Care Alumni Study,"

http://www.casey.org/Resources/Publi...lumniStudy.htm

MIT study: "Child Protection and Child Outcomes: Measuring the Effects
of Foster Care,"

http://www.mit.edu/~jjdoyle/doyle_fo...arch07_aer.pdf

Texas comptroller's "Forgotten Children" reports:

www.window.state.tx.us/forgottenchildren

The bottom line? - Child Protective Services and the Foster Care system
for the most part turns out young adults that are nothing more than
walking wreckage...

CURRENTLY CHILD PROTECTIVE SERVICES VIOLATES MORE CONSTITUTIONALLY
GUARANTEED LIBERTIES & CIVIL RIGHTS ON A DAILY BASIS THEN ALL OTHER
AGENCIES COMBINED INCLUDING THE NATIONAL SECURITY AGENCY/CENTRAL
INTELLIGENCE AGENCY WIRETAPPING PROGRAMS....

CHILD PROTECTIVE SERVICES, HAPPILY DESTROYING THOUSANDS OF INNOCENT
FAMILIES YEARLY NATIONWIDE AND COMING TO YOU'RE HOME SOON...

BE SURE TO FIND OUT WHERE YOUR CANDIDATES STANDS ON THE ISSUE OF
REFORMING OR ABOLISHING CHILD PROTECTIVE SERVICES ("MAKE YOUR CANDIDATES
TAKE A STAND ON THIS ISSUE.") THEN REMEMBER TO VOTE ACCORDINGLY IF THEY
ARE "FAMILY UNFRIENDLY" IN THE NEXT ELECTION...