The fruits of chickenpox vaccinations: high school outbreaks andpossibly a death

Old February 3rd 09, 04:27 AM posted to misc.health.alternative,misc.kids.health
Mike[_6_]

Default The fruits of chickenpox vaccinations: high school outbreaks andpossibly a death

Two recent stories:

http://www.wftv.com/news/18266995/detail.html

Chickenpox Outbreak At Volusia School

Friday, December 12, 2008 – updated: 4:57 pm EST December 12, 2008
PORT ORANGE, Fla. -- A chickenpox outbreak at Port Orange's Spruce Creek
High School has the health department taking steps to prevent even more
illnesses and missed school days.

Fifty of her 2,700 Volusia County classmates have come down with the
illness since September. It is concerning enough that Friday afternoon a
letter went home to parents encouraging vaccinations. ... But the
letter warns EVEN VACCINATED KIDS CAN CONTRACT CHICKENPOX and the severe
rash, fever, or pneumonia that can come with it.

"We're starting to see the outbreak in older children," said Dr. Sanford
Zelnick of the Volusia County Health Department.

Another story: http://www.wesh.com/health/18267903/detail.html

Examiner Thinks Boy, 12, Died From Chicken Pox

Cody Schrout, 12, never woke up Friday [Dec. 12, 2008] morning at the
family home near Daytona Beach.

What led to Cody's death is still under investigation, but family and
friends have been told along with WESH 2 that it was likely chicken pox
-- an illness they didn't know he had.
[The boy's mother Alicia] Binion said Cody was vaccinated against
chicken pox, and actually had a mild case four years ago while living
with her mother, yet it may have claimed his life.

I would add that Daytona Beach is just 6 miles north from Port Orange,
the site of the first story. A coincidence?

The chickenpox vaccination was mandated in 1995. Before that, just about
every kid had chickenpox in early childhood, and became immune, and
there could not be any outbreaks in high school due to Herd Immunity.

Now the herd immunity is being shattered. As the chickenpox vaccine
generation reached high school some are getting chickenpox due to
ineffective vaccine. Not many but those infected have increased risk of
complications.

According to New England Journal of Medicine (as quoted by New York
Times), not only did the incidence of illness among those vaccinated
against chickenpox increase over time, so did the severity of the
illness. http://www.nytimes.com/2007/03/25/op...ry-revere.html

These HS students (and the boy) were deprived of a chance to get real
immunity. They were deprived of protective herd immunity also: as we see
the chickenpox vaccine is not efficient enough to provide herd immunity.

Very soon the vaccinated kids will hit college, and for the first time
in human history we will witness chickenpox outbreaks on campuses.
Predicting that is no rocket science because we have been there before
with mumps. The time when the first children vaccinated against mumps
entered college marked the beginning of mumps outbreaks on campuses. And
they still happen of course.

Predicting the official response is no rocket science either. When the
first campus outbreaks of mumps occurred the vaccine makers were
rewarded by mandating a booster shot. (It helped somewhat but the
outbreaks returned later and never ceased.) A similar reaction can be
expected with chickenpox: if a vaccine does not work we must have more
of it! More booster shots! We must protect our children against this
newly lethal disease!

And the world will laugh...
Old February 3rd 09, 01:16 PM posted to misc.health.alternative,misc.kids.health
D. C. Sessions

Mike wrote:

Two recent stories:

http://www.wftv.com/news/18266995/detail.html

Chickenpox Outbreak At Volusia School

Friday, December 12, 2008 ? updated: 4:57 pm EST December 12, 2008
PORT ORANGE, Fla. -- A chickenpox outbreak at Port Orange's Spruce Creek
High School has the health department taking steps to prevent even more
illnesses and missed school days.

Fifty of her 2,700 Volusia County classmates have come down with the
illness since September. It is concerning enough that Friday afternoon a
letter went home to parents encouraging vaccinations. ... But the
letter warns EVEN VACCINATED KIDS CAN CONTRACT CHICKENPOX and the severe
rash, fever, or pneumonia that can come with it.

Yup -- nothing's perfect. Thanks for reminding people that this is a
nasty disease.

"We're starting to see the outbreak in older children," said Dr. Sanford
Zelnick of the Volusia County Health Department.

Starting? We had them when I was in high school, and that was in the 60s.
Not big ones, but there you are.

Another story: http://www.wesh.com/health/18267903/detail.html

Examiner Thinks Boy, 12, Died From Chicken Pox

Yup -- it's a nasty disease. $HERSELF had a tenant many years ago
whose daughter was in ICU for weeks as a result of varicella.

Cody Schrout, 12, never woke up Friday [Dec. 12, 2008] morning at the
family home near Daytona Beach.

What led to Cody's death is still under investigation, but family and
friends have been told along with WESH 2 that it was likely chicken pox
-- an illness they didn't know he had.
[The boy's mother Alicia] Binion said Cody was vaccinated against
chicken pox, and actually had a mild case four years ago while living
with her mother, yet it may have claimed his life.

So much for "lifelong immunity," eh?
Looks like Cody simply wasn't capable of developing immunity,
which is why the lives of people like him depend on simply never
being exposed -- herd immunity.

Won't it be wonderful when varicella joins variola and the rest of the
world joins the western hemisphere, which has no endemic rubiola or
rubella? Extinction -- wonderful objective.

I would add that Daytona Beach is just 6 miles north from Port Orange,
the site of the first story. A coincidence?

No more so than the clusters of measles we had last year: colonies
of people determined to keep those viruses in circulation tend to
have outbreaks.

The chickenpox vaccination was mandated in 1995. Before that, just about
every kid had chickenpox in early childhood, and became immune, and
there could not be any outbreaks in high school due to Herd Immunity.

Bull****. We had chickenpox outbreaks in high school in the 60s,
and there's no such thing as "herd immunity" when everyone is exposed
to the disease on a regular basis. Herd immunity occurs when there
aren't enough vulnerable individuals to sustain disease propagation,
which BY DEFINITION isn't what you have when "everyone gets it."

Now, maybe if we locked all of the students into the high school for
several years with no contact with (for instance) grade-school kids,
you might be able to claim "herd immunity."

Now the herd immunity is being shattered. As the chickenpox vaccine
generation reached high school some are getting chickenpox due to
ineffective vaccine. Not many but those infected have increased risk of
complications.

Complications like the kids who died of it before there was a vaccine?

According to New England Journal of Medicine (as quoted by New York
Times), not only did the incidence of illness among those vaccinated
against chickenpox increase over time, so did the severity of the
illness. http://www.nytimes.com/2007/03/25/op...ry-revere.html

These HS students (and the boy) were deprived of a chance to get real
immunity. They were deprived of protective herd immunity also: as we see
the chickenpox vaccine is not efficient enough to provide herd immunity.

It's a better herd immunity than the totally nonsensical version that
you seem to have: "herd immunity" consists of the disease circulating
in the population forever, killing and maiming.

Add to that that there is no "lifetime immunity" to varicella zoster:
it's a herpesvirus and anyone who has ever had it has a lifetime
*infection* -- which comes back later in life as shingles. Getting
rid of it is going to take a lot longer than getting rid of smallpox
did because unlike smallpox, anyone who ever had it is an infection
reservoir (thus "herd immunity" is going to be a generational thing,
same as with HIV.)

Very soon the vaccinated kids will hit college, and for the first time
in human history we will witness chickenpox outbreaks on campuses.

Far from the first time in human history. It was a fairly common thing
back when people travelled less and lived in smaller communities.

Predicting that is no rocket science because we have been there before
with mumps. The time when the first children vaccinated against mumps
entered college marked the beginning of mumps outbreaks on campuses. And
they still happen of course.

Primarily thanks to idiots who are determined to keep these viruses alive
and in circulation.

Predicting the official response is no rocket science either. When the
first campus outbreaks of mumps occurred the vaccine makers were
rewarded by mandating a booster shot. (It helped somewhat but the
outbreaks returned later and never ceased.) A similar reaction can be
expected with chickenpox: if a vaccine does not work we must have more
of it! More booster shots! We must protect our children against this
newly lethal disease!

Nothing new about the lethality of varicella -- and it's worse for
kids than adults.

--
| The brighter the stupid burns, the more |
| chance that someone will see the light. |