Sad about the way weaning is happening

Old August 27th 07, 01:06 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Mum of Two

Default Sad about the way weaning is happening

I imagine its no picnic ... but you still seem ... umm ... "brighter" than
the last time I heard from you.
I actually have made several good friends from playgroup and from the
kindy
K goes to. Mind you, there are quite a few who I'll never have anything
in
common with. Perhaps your horizons will seem bigger in Wellington... (and
with some support with your sister there). I guess its a difficult
decision
to make.

Thanks, it's good to have an outside perspective I AM an optimist - if I
wasn't I can quite honestly say, with my depression, that I probably
wouldn't be here. I completed another element of the main unit standard
today - yay! I'm trying hard not to see this year as a failure. Finally, at
25, I more or less know what I want to do with my life, and I've taken some
steps to get there, so that's a good thing.
I think a lot of the loneliness of living here stems from being single. If I
had a full time job and partner, I'd be content to have a few casual
acquaintances and probably wouldn't have much time for anything else.

...and yes - they are a practical bunch of boys, but I also think a bit
of
talking wouldn't go astray either.

Heh, if you figure that one out, let the rest of woman-kind in on the secret
;-)

One of the things I find the hardest to deal with is the kids.
Unfortunately, it was a graveside service and while DD understands what
happened, DS (just turned 3) thinks that G'dad is only dead because we put
him in a hole. He quite regularly tells us that's he's going to get a
rope
and rescue G'dad

Geez, now that IS tough! Have you tried the library? I've heard there are a
lot of good books on death & dying these days specifically written for
preschoolers and young school-age children. Ana's the same age and we just
lost the rabbit we've had her whole life, and I found myself at a loss for
the right words. 'Asha's gone to heaven' was the first thing that sprang to
mind, but it doesn't sit right for me as I'm not Christian and I don't
believe in the typical heaven concept. In the end we settled for 'died' and
I decided to save the theology discussion for later.
I don't know what I'd do in that situation. Probably go on Wikipedia and
find articles relating to death and decomposition, followed by a discussion
on the concept of a soul, but yeah... that's probably not appropriate, I'm
weird like that :-O

Amy

Old August 27th 07, 11:00 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Flowergirl

"Mum of Two" wrote in message
[...]

Well, if it means anything, I'm a 37 yo scientist and while I do enjoy what
I do, part of me is thinking that a career change to be a teacher wouldn't
be such a bad move. (I'm quite passionate about getting enthusiastic science
teachers into primary shcools, and while working on that for one of our
projects, it did occur to me that *I'd* make an enthusuastic science
teacher.....) Oh ... and I didn't leave uni and get my first *real* job
until I was 26 so that might make you feel better as well.

I think a lot of the loneliness of living here stems from being single. If

had a full time job and partner, I'd be content to have a few casual
acquaintances and probably wouldn't have much time for anything else.

I can understand that. I moved 1700 km away from fiance, friends and family
for my first *real* job. It was a small town and if it weren't for a couple
of other girls in the same boat, and some fantasic neighbours who took me
into their family, I would have really struggled.

[...]

I had a great resource in DD's kindy library. They have a memorial library
there which has a lot of books on explaining death to children (sad story -
its dedicated to one of the kindy Mum's from 2005 who was Dx with cancer and
died within a matter of months).
Everything I read said to explain everything to the kids ... age
appropriatly ... but to explain what death means.
I also had a good friend who's hubby lost his Mum the year before - she gave
me heaps of advice on what to expect from DH as well as info on explaining
death to preschoolers.

But, I am a Christian, so explaining my idea of heaven and the concept of a
soul to the kids was the easy part. DD (5) seemed to understand everything
very well, but DS (3) is the one who has struggled with it all. I think he
picks up on the fact that Daddy is still very sad and wants to make Daddy
happy by "rescuing" G'dad.
Like I said - its getting the "grown-up" boys to talk which is far more
difficult!
Amanda

Old September 3rd 07, 12:52 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Mum of Two

Well, if it means anything, I'm a 37 yo scientist and while I do enjoy
what
I do, part of me is thinking that a career change to be a teacher wouldn't
be such a bad move. (I'm quite passionate about getting enthusiastic
science
teachers into primary shcools, and while working on that for one of our
projects, it did occur to me that *I'd* make an enthusuastic science
teacher.....) Oh ... and I didn't leave uni and get my first *real* job
until I was 26 so that might make you feel better as well.

Is it such a big jump to turn to teaching? Because I agree, good science
teachers are SO important! I had a great science teacher in forms 3/4 of
highschool, but he left during & because of the bulk funding disputes and I
was absolutely gutted. This was the guy who had us growing crystal gardens
and competing in races with our minature vehicles for crunchie bar prizes. I
have no doubt that had he stayed on, I'd have taken physics instead of
chemistry (which I failed miserably due to long calculations and
discalculia) and been further ahead now than I am. Teachers and tertiary
tutors alike 'sell' the subject matter to their pupils - a love for it is
infectious and it makes the work involved seem like nothing.

[...]

Heh.. I've always said science and religion weren't mutually exclusive. I
have that argument out with every stubborn scientist and fundamentalist I
meet. It's always refreshing to come across people who can successfully
combine the two.

I think he
picks up on the fact that Daddy is still very sad and wants to make Daddy
happy by "rescuing" G'dad.
Like I said - its getting the "grown-up" boys to talk which is far more
difficult!

Oh dear.. it sounds like the male idea of 'fixing' people's problems starts
young! I hope you find a way to get through to the 'big' boys. We're still
working through the goldfish and the rabbit, so yeah..

Amy

It's already happening G Child Support 6 January 18th 07 07:09 AM
It's already happening DB Child Support 4 January 18th 07 03:41 AM
so, what's been happening? Anne Rogers Pregnancy 10 August 8th 05 08:37 PM
Oh no, this can't be happening! Me Child Support 0 December 25th 03 03:17 PM
What's happening?!!! Andrea Pregnancy 15 November 11th 03 02:43 AM