Weaning from the pump - OUCH

Old September 5th 07, 03:36 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
cjra

Default Weaning from the pump - OUCH

DD is 14 months old now. I didn't have the heart to try to wean her
yet. We want to TTC soon but my period showed up this month (not sure
about the ovulation tho), so I was thrilled about not having to wean.

However DD pretty much weaned herself off bottles at daycare about 13
months. She never took much to begin with, and had been cutting back
for awhile until she refused them altogether. Just as well as it was
getting harder and harder to find time to pump at work. After a few
weeks I finally managed to make it most of the day w/o pumping and not
being in engorgement pain. Except on Mondays.

DD nurses like a maniac all day on the weekends. So on Monday - like
today - OUCH. I can normally make it til 7pm or so without nursing/
pumping (having last nursed about 5am), but on Monday it seems my body
finally catches up with the weekend demand and by 4pm I'm in pain.

So anyone who weaned from the weekday pump still do ok with nursing on
the weekends? Will this engorgement stop or will I end up dropping
supply on the weekends?

Old September 5th 07, 05:28 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Anne Rogers[_4_]

So anyone who weaned from the weekday pump still do ok with nursing on
the weekends? Will this engorgement stop or will I end up dropping
supply on the weekends?

engorgement does send a signal to produce less milk, but the question
is, are you engorged long enough for enough signals to be sent such that
a decrease occurs, possibly not, but you never know, if it was
alternate days then you'd probably get a drop on the other days (can be
a problem for mothers who work part time but don't pump), but once a
week, it probably doesn't. Plus, if it does it will very much depend on
your daughters main motivation for frequent nursing, it's probably a mix
of need for food and other stuff right now, but those needs might be
strong enough that reduced supply doesn't bother her.

Cheers
Anne
Old September 5th 07, 06:21 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Mary W.

On Sep 4, 10:36 pm, cjra wrote:
After a few
weeks I finally managed to make it most of the day w/o pumping and not
being in engorgement pain. Except on Mondays.

DD nurses like a maniac all day on the weekends. So on Monday - like
today - OUCH. I can normally make it til 7pm or so without nursing/
pumping (having last nursed about 5am), but on Monday it seems my body
finally catches up with the weekend demand and by 4pm I'm in pain.

So anyone who weaned from the weekday pump still do ok with nursing on
the weekends? Will this engorgement stop or will I end up dropping
supply on the weekends?

I stopped pumping for both my girls at 12 months (exactly!). They
both
nursed until they were over 2 years old, that' s by nursing weekends
and evenings/nights. I think the monday engorgement will settle down
with time, mine did, with an occaisional flare up after a particularly
heavy
nursing weekend or vacation when I was with them more. I kept my
Isis at work so that I could relieve a little of the engorgement if it
was
too uncomfortable (and I would just dump that).

Your supply may drop on the weekends. I'd say at about 16 or 18 months
both my kids became less interested in nursing so supply dropping
didn't
seem to bother them. For mine, nursing was more of a reconnection than
for food as they got to be 18 months.

Mary W.

Old September 6th 07, 04:11 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Irrational Number

cjra wrote:

DD is 14 months old now.

So anyone who weaned from the weekday pump still do ok with nursing on
the weekends? Will this engorgement stop or will I end up dropping
supply on the weekends?

I stopped pumping at 15 months with Pillbug and
we nursed until 17 months, when I got pregnant.

I stopped pumping at 9 months with Rocky and we
are still nursing at 2y3m currently. There was
some engorgement in the beginning, but that went
away pretty quickly.

-- Anita --

Weaning from a breast pump? Sue Fullilove Breastfeeding 3 May 23rd 07 10:22 PM
Ameda/Hollister "Hospital grade" pump vs. Medela Pump In Style cjra Breastfeeding 9 May 11th 06 08:40 PM
ouch! Notchalk Breastfeeding 4 January 31st 06 04:44 AM
fs: Medela Pump in Style - Travel bag Pump $35.00 Renee2k Pregnancy 28 August 1st 04 05:36 AM
OUCH! Christine Pregnancy 1 April 13th 04 04:29 AM