Diabetes fears over corn syrup in soda

Old September 5th 07, 10:00 PM posted to misc.health.diabetes,misc.kids.health,misc.kids.breastfeeding,sci.life-extension,alt.health
Tim Campbell

Default Diabetes fears over corn syrup in soda

It's not cast-iron proof that high-fructose corn syrup causes
diabetes,
but new evidence suggests we should think twice about using it to
sweeten
soft drinks.

Chi-Tang Ho at Rutgers University in New Brunswick, New Jersey, and
his
colleagues found that adding the syrup to fizzy drinks makes them up
to 10
times richer in harmful carbonyl compounds - elevated in people with
diabetes and blamed for causing diabetic complications such as foot
ulcers
and eye and nerve damage - than fizzy drinks containing cane sugar.

The most harmful compound, called methylglyoxal, is known to damage
cells
directly. "The link between methylglyoxal and diabetic complications
is
well documented," says Ho, whose team found carbonyl compounds in 11
popular brands of soft drink sweetened with the syrup.

High-fructose corn syrup is popular in the US, where import tariffs
make
cane sugar relatively expensive. It is made by treating corn starch
with

* 04 September 2007
* New Scientist
* Magazine issue 2619
http://www.newscien tist.com/ article/mg195261 92.800;jsessioni
d=FDIADOAJIDPH

The complete article is 336 words long.

To continue reading this article, subscribe to New Scientist. Get 4
issues
of New Scientist magazine and instant access to all online content for
only USD $4.95

Old September 5th 07, 10:58 PM posted to misc.health.diabetes,misc.kids.health,misc.kids.breastfeeding,sci.life-extension,alt.health
Julie Bove

"Tim Campbell" wrote in message
oups.com...

It's not cast-iron proof that high-fructose corn syrup causes
diabetes,

snip

Too late for us. We already have diabetes. Now taketh your spam elsewhere!

Old September 6th 07, 06:51 AM posted to misc.health.diabetes,misc.kids.health,misc.kids.breastfeeding,sci.life-extension,alt.health
Tim Campbell

On Sep 5, 4:58 pm, "Julie Bove" wrote:

Too late for us. We already have diabetes. Now taketh your spam elsewhere!

There are some in each of these groups for whom it is not "too late."

Old September 6th 07, 08:03 AM posted to misc.health.diabetes,misc.kids.health,misc.kids.breastfeeding,sci.life-extension,alt.health
Julie Bove

"Tim Campbell" wrote in message
oups.com...
On Sep 5, 4:58 pm, "Julie Bove" wrote:

Too late for us. We already have diabetes. Now taketh your spam
elsewhere!

There are some in each of these groups for whom it is not "too late."

Nope. Not when it comes to spam!

Old September 6th 07, 12:08 PM posted to misc.health.diabetes,misc.kids.health,misc.kids.breastfeeding,sci.life-extension,alt.health
[email protected]

On Sep 5, 5:58 pm, "Julie Bove" wrote:
"Tim Campbell" wrote in message

oups.com...

It's not cast-iron proof that high-fructose corn syrup causes
diabetes,

snip

Too late for us. We already have diabetes. Now taketh your spam elsewhere!

Technically, this is not spam; he's not selling anything. And it's
not too late for you; there is considerable evidence that a change in
life-style and food habits can ameliorate the condition.

Old September 7th 07, 12:22 AM posted to misc.health.diabetes,misc.kids.health,misc.kids.breastfeeding,sci.life-extension,alt.health
Julie Bove

wrote in message
ups.com...
On Sep 5, 5:58 pm, "Julie Bove" wrote:
"Tim Campbell" wrote in message

oups.com...

It's not cast-iron proof that high-fructose corn syrup causes
diabetes,

snip

Too late for us. We already have diabetes. Now taketh your spam
elsewhere!

Technically, this is not spam; he's not selling anything. And it's
not too late for you; there is considerable evidence that a change in
life-style and food habits can ameliorate the condition.

Not selling anything? I believe it said at the bottom of the message that
we had to pay a fee to read the rest of the article. Looks like selling to
me.

a·mel·io·rate /?'mily??re?t, ?'mili?-/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled
Pronunciation[uh-meel-yuh-reyt, uh-mee-lee-uh-] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA
Pronunciation
-verb (used with object), verb (used without object), -rat·ed, -rat·ing. to
make or become better, more bearable, or more satisfactory; improve;
meliorate.

Duh! You obviously haven't been in this newsgroup for very long and know
nothing about me. I don't consume HFC and never have.

Old September 7th 07, 02:05 AM posted to misc.health.diabetes,misc.kids.health,misc.kids.breastfeeding,sci.life-extension,alt.health
[email protected]

On Sep 6, 7:08 am, wrote:
On Sep 5, 5:58 pm, "Julie Bove" wrote:

"Tim Campbell" wrote in message

roups.com...

It's not cast-iron proof that high-fructose corn syrup causes
diabetes,

snip

Too late for us. We already have diabetes. Now taketh your spam elsewhere!

Technically, this is not spam; he's not selling anything. And it's
not too late for you; there is considerable evidence that a change in
life-style and food habits can ameliorate the condition.

Now I see this thing is cross-posted all over the place, my
apologies. However, he derived no direct profit from sale of the
article, which is accessible for free with a university account, and
the 'teaser had the relevant information. Nor did I say you
specifically had a problem, just that those who do might be interested
in the information.