Fussiness at the breast

Old September 4th 07, 04:20 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Numama

Default Fussiness at the breast

I have a question. My baby is 3 weeks old and until a few days ago has been
nursing beautifully. In the past couple of days, he has been struggling and
fussing after a few seconds of nursing. I have heard that babies can get
frustrated that milk is coming to quickly so I've tried taking him off and
pumping and putting him back on and he still follows the same pattern of
sucking/fussing. I have been trying to work on pumping my milk and
introducing a bottle occasionally with him since I am absent from him for a
couple hours during the day. Could this be causing too much milk to come in
and causing him to do this pattern? He does the same thing on the bottle as
well. Also, he seems to do it more in the evening and usually does fine
during the day. I have been burping him regularly as well to see if it's gas
and he'll burp but still do the same thing once he's on the breast again.
Help! We are both often ending in tears these days...

Old September 4th 07, 09:22 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Jolande

Hi!

Could be a number of things really. The most obvious thing would be
positioning. Are you making sure you don't have your hand on the back
of his head? Little babies can think each finger is a nipple and
frantically try to turn towards them if they are on the back of his
head.

Colic could be another thing, my little boy had that. He would burp
beautifully, but he still had colic and there was pretty much nothing
other to do than stick it out. The drops didn't really work on him,
gripe water did, but you have to wait until they are 1 month old for
that.

Your milk might be coming down to fast for him, so maybe latch him off
and give it a minute then try again.

It's not really advisable to alternate between breast and bottle in
the first month or so, as it requires different sucking mechanisms and
babies can get a bit confused as to what's what. When I left my
little boy with a childminder for the first time, he was completely
unable to suck from a bottle, bless him. I was really worried that he
would not be able to take in any fluids whilst I was out, but it
turned out fine. He was able to drink out of a sippy-cup, if aided,
straight away, as long as it wasn't milk. He blatently refused to
drink any milk that wasn't mine basically.

One other thing it could be is that he's not thirsty at all, but just
wants to suck for comfort, and then finds that milk comes out when
he's not really in the mood. Does he strike you as hungry? Because
you could just try giving him different kinds of comfort (singing,
dancing, cuddling, craddling, etc...) instead.

All the best, let me know how you get on and try not to be in tears,
it will only make things worse, because he can feel what you feel!

-xxx-
Jolande

Old September 8th 07, 08:03 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
[email protected]

On Sep 3, 10:20 pm, "Numama" u37149@uwe wrote:
[...]

Hi !

Sounds like your child is having a reaction more likely from your
milk. Believe it or not they can taste certain flavors and spices
from food we eat ourselves distrubutited in thier breastmilk. It is
very important in the first few weeks of nursing to consume a very
bland diet. Also do not wash your breasts with soap when nursing as
infants will react to the bitter taste left behind from the soap and
not latch on.

Good luck

Old September 8th 07, 09:11 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Sarah Vaughan

wrote:
[...]

That's rarely true. Some babies will dislike particular tastes, but
they're the exception rather than the rule. (I've heard some babies can
actually prefer the spicier tastes!) Of course, a mother *may* find
that she needs to avoid particular foods, but that's unusual and there
is no way I would advise this as a general measure to nursing mothers.
Any kind of reasonably healthy diet is almost always fine.

Also do not wash your breasts with soap when nursing as
infants will react to the bitter taste left behind from the soap and
not latch on.

Again, I really doubt that this is anything other than a rare problem.
Wash your breasts with whatever you like, unless you specifically think
there's a problem in which case you could try without soap for a while &
see how you get on.

All the best,

Sarah
--
http://www.goodenoughmummy.typepad.com

"That which can be destroyed by the truth, should be" - P. C. Hodgell

Old September 8th 07, 09:24 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Anne Rogers[_4_]

Sounds like your child is having a reaction more likely from your
milk. Believe it or not they can taste certain flavors and spices
from food we eat ourselves distrubutited in thier breastmilk. It is
very important in the first few weeks of nursing to consume a very
bland diet.

That's rarely true. Some babies will dislike particular tastes, but
they're the exception rather than the rule. (I've heard some babies can
actually prefer the spicier tastes!) Of course, a mother *may* find
that she needs to avoid particular foods, but that's unusual and there
is no way I would advise this as a general measure to nursing mothers.
Any kind of reasonably healthy diet is almost always fine.

absolutely, roll on the blue cheese!

Also do not wash your breasts with soap when nursing as
infants will react to the bitter taste left behind from the soap and
not latch on.

Again, I really doubt that this is anything other than a rare problem.
Wash your breasts with whatever you like, unless you specifically think
there's a problem in which case you could try without soap for a while &
see how you get on.

hmm, it's not that infrequent that I've used a product on my hands,
probably not rinsed thoroughly enough and then put something in my mouth
with my fingers and got a nasty taste, but I have a suspicion that's not
happened with plain soap, but things like acne skin care products, or
anti dandruff shampoo, so it might not be a ridculous think to watch out
for - but it really shouldn't be a problem, it's not as if you have to
wash your breasts prior to feeding...

Anne
Old September 9th 07, 12:11 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
betsy

On Sep 4, 1:22 am, Jolande wrote:
One other thing it could be is that he's not thirsty at all, but just
wants to suck for comfort, and then finds that milk comes out when
he's not really in the mood. Does he strike you as hungry? Because
you could just try giving him different kinds of comfort (singing,
dancing, cuddling, craddling, etc...) instead.

I had way too much milk for my first. Although I had decided we would
not use pacifiers, I ended up changing my mind. After 3 days in a row
where she screamed for 5 hours straight in the evening it became very
clear to me that she just needed to suck but couldn't handle any more
milk. I fished out the pacifier from the hospital gift bag and she
finally was able to calm down and sleep. We only used it when she
really needed to suck and couldn't handle any more milk. By three
months, things started to even out and she rarely needed it. By four
months, the pacifier had long been a thing of the past.

--Betsy

Old September 9th 07, 08:26 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Irrational Number

wrote:

Sounds like your child is having a reaction more likely from your
milk.

This is not likely.

Believe it or not they can taste certain flavors and spices
from food we eat ourselves distrubutited in thier breastmilk.

Babies can absolutely taste flavors and spices
from our diet. Plenty of studies confirm this -
squirrels that don't normally like lemon flavors
prefer lemon-flavored breastmilk if their mother
had lemon flavors injected into their amniotic
fluid. There is no doubt about this.

It is
very important in the first few weeks of nursing to consume a very
bland diet.

But, there is no reason to eat a bland diet!
Mothers in Mexico and India can still eat spicy
foods. Mothers in Japan can still eat raw fish.
You should eat normally.

The only reason to curtail your eating habits
if is an allergy or sensitivity is suspected.
Flavors is not a reason to change your diet.

Also do not wash your breasts with soap when nursing as
infants will react to the bitter taste left behind from the soap and
not latch on.

Do not wash your breasts with soap because the
breasts produce oils that clean themselves. It's
not because of the flavor.

To the OP: try googline "overactive letdown". You
could possibly pump first, then nurse. Or, when
using the bottle, use the slowest flow nipple.

-- Anita --
Old September 9th 07, 09:55 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Jolande

I had way too much milk for my first. Although I had decided we would
not use pacifiers, I ended up changing my mind. After 3 days in a row
where she screamed for 5 hours straight in the evening it became very
clear to me that she just needed to suck but couldn't handle any more
milk. I fished out the pacifier from the hospital gift bag and she
finally was able to calm down and sleep. We only used it when she
really needed to suck and couldn't handle any more milk. By three
months, things started to even out and she rarely needed it. By four
months, the pacifier had long been a thing of the past.

That's what I did with DS as well, he only very rarely uses the
pacifier, just if he's upset about something or is teething, or
something like that, when he just wants to suck for comfort.

--Betsy

Old January 5th 08, 04:49 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Nikki

Jolande's post was very good. I only wanted to add that when my second son
did this it was because he wasn't hungry (like she said). He was content to
suck on my pink finger, nail side down, at these times. If he was really
hungry he would not accept that.

My first son did it because of the fast and furious let down. He grew into
it and all was fine

Hang in there!

--

Nikki, mama to 4 boys