does anyone know how many portions of iron a 3 year old needs and what equates to a portion

Old August 28th 04, 05:40 PM
Gemma Nicholls

Default does anyone know how many portions of iron a 3 year old needs and what equates to a portion

I have recently read "The Contented Childs Food Bible" by Gina Ford and Paul
Sacher. When reading through the section on iron it said that my 3 year old
and 1 year old should be having 14 portions of iron per day. It then has a
small list of foods, detaling the number of portions a serving of each is
equivalent to.

As my 3 year old who has always been a sleepy baby/child(sleeping 12 hours
at night plus a further 2 hours after lunch and still complaning of
tiredness when awake.)has seemed even more sleepy latly i though it might
be due to a lack of iron in her diet. Although she has no other syptoms of
iron deficency and is otherwise seems a very healthy, happy child.

Although i have always been vary carefully with her diet and ensure that she
is always offered a vared diet, of organic foods she way not having
anything like the recommended 14 portions (which seems like an awfull lot!)

Since reading this I am tring to give her a weeks trial at meeting the 14
portions a day requirement to see if this has any effect on how sleepy she
is.

I am finding it very hard to meet this even though everything i have feed
her for the last 3 days has been a high iron sourse.

I was just wondering if anyone has a more comprhensive list of iron rich
foods and the amount of portions a serving is equivalent to, as the list in
the book is very small and is making it hard to give her a varied diet that
is so rich in iron? And if anyone has any ideas on how to get enouth iron
into your childs diet? or even if a child really needs this amount of iron?
Any information would be very much appriciated.

Old August 28th 04, 07:03 PM
CWatters

"Gemma Nicholls" wrote in message
I have recently read "The Contented Childs Food Bible" by Gina Ford and

Paul
Sacher. When reading through the section on iron it said that my 3 year

old
and 1 year old should be having 14 portions of iron per day. It then has

small list of foods, detaling the number of portions a serving of each is
equivalent to.

Some info here..

http://www.betterhealth.vic.gov.au/b...iency_children

http://health.discovery.com/encyclopedias/1917.html

See a doctor before considering supliments because too much Iron is
poisonous.:

Old August 28th 04, 10:24 PM
Jeff

"Gemma Nicholls" wrote in message
I have recently read "The Contented Childs Food Bible" by Gina Ford and

Paul
Sacher. When reading through the section on iron it said that my 3 year

old
and 1 year old should be having 14 portions of iron per day. It then has

small list of foods, detaling the number of portions a serving of each is
equivalent to.

As my 3 year old who has always been a sleepy baby/child(sleeping 12 hours
at night plus a further 2 hours after lunch and still complaning of
tiredness when awake.)has seemed even more sleepy latly i though it might
be due to a lack of iron in her diet. Although she has no other syptoms

of
iron deficency and is otherwise seems a very healthy, happy child.

Look on the labels of the foods she is eating. See how much iron is actually
in the foods. Kellogg's, GM and Post, bread makers, and makers of other
foods fortify their foods with iron.

Although i have always been vary carefully with her diet and ensure that

she
is always offered a vared diet, of organic foods she way not having
anything like the recommended 14 portions (which seems like an awfull

lot!)

Why organic foods? Are organic foods any healthier than foods that are not
organic? Are fewer natural resources used to make them (like less land or
water)? Are they less expensive?

Hint: The answer is that organic foods are no better than foods that are not
organic.

I actively avoid organic foods. Foods that are not organic require less
resources to grow.

of course, you are free to waste your money on these if you like.

Since reading this I am tring to give her a weeks trial at meeting the 14
portions a day requirement to see if this has any effect on how sleepy she
is.

If your daughter is anemic, the iron could help her, depending on the cause
of anemia. You should discuss your concerns with your daughter's doctor.
She can do a blood test that will determine whether or not your daughter is
anemic.

I am finding it very hard to meet this even though everything i have feed
her for the last 3 days has been a high iron sourse.

I was just wondering if anyone has a more comprhensive list of iron rich
foods and the amount of portions a serving is equivalent to, as the list

in
the book is very small and is making it hard to give her a varied diet

that
is so rich in iron? And if anyone has any ideas on how to get enouth iron
into your childs diet? or even if a child really needs this amount of

iron?
Any information would be very much appriciated.

Enough iron is enough that your daughter is able to make all the red blood
cells she needs. Modifying your daughter's diet and possibly reducing other
nutrients in her diet for a problem she doesn't have is not a good idea. I
would find out whether or not she is iron deficient before changing her
diet all that much. There are other nutrients that are really important,
like calcium for her growing bones.

Jeff

Old August 29th 04, 02:51 AM
PF Riley

On Sat, 28 Aug 2004 16:40:20 +0000 (UTC), "Gemma Nicholls"
wrote:

I have recently read "The Contented Childs Food Bible" by Gina Ford and Paul
Sacher. When reading through the section on iron it said that my 3 year old
and 1 year old should be having 14 portions of iron per day. It then has a
small list of foods, detaling the number of portions a serving of each is
equivalent to.

Pay no attention to Jeff. His dismissive and insulting reply is nearly
worthless.

I have not heard of that book, so I don't know how much iron is in a
"portion." Children 1 to 4 years of age should get about 10 mg of iron
a day.

As my 3 year old who has always been a sleepy baby/child(sleeping 12 hours
at night plus a further 2 hours after lunch and still complaning of
tiredness when awake.)has seemed even more sleepy latly i though it might
be due to a lack of iron in her diet. Although she has no other syptoms of
iron deficency and is otherwise seems a very healthy, happy child.

12 hours a night with a 2 hour daytime nap sounds just about right for
a 3-year-old. It is actually unusual, though, for a child that age to
be tired despite apparently adequate sleep. They are usually quite
energetic. The problem is, there can be many causes of daytime
tiredness in a child this age, and iron deficiency is an unlikely
cause. Anemia due to iron deficiency in children usually progresses
slowly enough that the body adapts so that outward symptoms are not
apparent until they are extremely anemic. Rather than tiredness, iron
deficiency more often causes irritability and developmental delay.

In other words, if you feel your child is unusually tired during the
day, there may be a medical problem contributing, but it is not likely
to be iron deficiency. Trying to increase her iron intake to improve
her energy level is, therefore, unlikely to be successful, and may
delay attention to an alternate explanation.

Obstructive sleep apnea in children is being increasingly recognized
as an important cause of daytime somnolence in children even as young
as 1. Does she have large tonsils? Does she snore at night? Have a
headache in the morning? Fall asleep easily during the day, such as on
short car rides?

I would suggest she see her doctor for an evaluation of her tiredness.

Although i have always been vary carefully with her diet and ensure that she
is always offered a vared diet, of organic foods she way not having
anything like the recommended 14 portions (which seems like an awfull lot!)

Since reading this I am tring to give her a weeks trial at meeting the 14
portions a day requirement to see if this has any effect on how sleepy she
is.

I am finding it very hard to meet this even though everything i have feed
her for the last 3 days has been a high iron sourse.

More on iron deficiency: This usually develops between age 9 months
and 2 years in full-term babies. Figure out first if your child is
even at risk for iron deficiency. To prevent iron deficiency in
toddlers, you should:

1. Supply a source of supplemental iron after age 6 months as long as
the infant is exclusively breast feeding (either through supplemental
drops or iron-fortified rice cereal).

2. Use iron-fortified formulas if not breast feeding.

3. Do not introduce cow's milk until age 12 months, then limit the
child to 24 oz. of milk a day after that.

If you did this, then iron deficiency even in the pickiest eaters at
age 3 is uncommon unless there are serious deficiencies.

Furthermore, if your child truly is iron deficient, then she may need
more than the usual daily amount to replenish her stores. This again
is why she should see her doctor.

I was just wondering if anyone has a more comprhensive list of iron rich
foods and the amount of portions a serving is equivalent to, as the list in
the book is very small and is making it hard to give her a varied diet that
is so rich in iron? And if anyone has any ideas on how to get enouth iron
into your childs diet? or even if a child really needs this amount of iron?
Any information would be very much appriciated.

Iron-fortified cereals, meats, green leafy vegetables, and legumes are
a good start.

PF
Old August 29th 04, 11:00 AM
CWatters

"Gemma Nicholls" wrote in message

As my 3 year old who has always been a sleepy baby/child(sleeping 12 hours
at night plus a further 2 hours after lunch and still complaning of
tiredness when awake.)has seemed even more sleepy latly i though it might
be due to a lack of iron in her diet. Although she has no other syptoms

of
iron deficency and is otherwise seems a very healthy, happy child.

I don't think 14 hours a day is too much sleep but if they are still tired
all the time it could be they have a virus. There are some viruses around
that start off like a regular cold/fever (from which they recover quickly)
but that remain in the system for months and make them tired Might be worth
asking the doctor about these (eg CMV) and getting a blood test done if you
are worried.

Old August 29th 04, 04:15 PM
Gemma Nicholls

This is Gemma who wrote the original letter.

I have spoken to my health visitor and nurse before starting on this one
week diet and have got an appointment booked to see the doctor later in the
week.

The advice that I read in the book was written by a top child dietician at
Great Ormond Street Children's Hospital. And none of the health
professionals I have spoken to thus far have disagreed with what was
written. But equally none of them have given me any suggestions on how to
achieve this other than supplementation. I'm am sure that you must be able
to obtain all the sufficient nutrients needed in a diet without having to
use supplements or fortified foods? As I have always felt that supplements
are only necessary in those who are eating an insufficient diet, or for
medical reason i.e.. pregnancy when the body needs a lot more folic acid ,
iron etc then it would normally.

I have been ensuring that I keep her diet varied and that she is obtaining
food from all 4 main food groups at each meal time, but with such a small
list of foods to chose from in each it has been quite a challenge to make
meal times interesting and different. She meats all the requirements for
every other food group it is only iron that she is lacking in.

She is not a sickly or pale child and has no other symptoms of anaemia,
however she has seemed more awake since I have been giving her the extra
iron rich foods. Her tiredness is a long going problem witch recently has
been getting progressively worse. And I agree I am not too worried that she
sleeps for 14 hours a day it is since she has started complain of tiredness
when awake (gradually increasing during the last 3 months or so) that I have
become more concerned. Recently while attending a pre-school gymnastics
class she would lie down on the crash mats suck her thumb and try to go to
sleep! Witch has concerned me. None of the health professionals I have
spoken to seem to know any other reason for her excessive sleepiness as she
seems healthy in every other way. Can anyone think of anything else that
this could be?

contain more nutrients especially so in milk-There are only a certain amount
of nutrients a cow can produce in its milk, non-organic cows are over milked
resulting in less nutrients per serving. Not to mention that non-organic
cows are feed on an un-natural diet of animal offal rather than grass as
organic cows are. The cows have difficulty in digesting the meat, and any
undigested meat is turned into mucus and excreted via the udders resulting
in a mucus content as high as 30% compared with 5% found in organic milk!

There has also never been a case of mad cow disease reported in organic
cows.(resulting in BSE) And of course the traces of artificial pesticides
and fertilisers found on non organic food!

Organic farmers aim to-
*Preserve the countryside not pollute it.
*Recycle rather than deplete resources.
*Build fertility in the soil through crop rotation rather than by adding
synthetic nitrogenous fertilizers.
*Controls pests with mechanical means and natural predators rather than
using chemical pesticides.
*Protects wildlife living on their land in order to encourage biological
diversity.
I think that most people would consider this a benefit!

And yes it does cost more and unfortunately this means that some people may
not be able to use it or use it all the time, but this is due to the extra
farm staff witch are employed to produce organic foods, the extra waste
produce, and the fact that animals require larger fields and more humane
conditions, are feed the foods witch they would naturally eat, and are not
routinely injected with hormones and antibiotics ( witch many doctors have
suggested could explain the growing resistance to antibiotics in humans.)

Although I do not like to preach, and respect everyone's decision on what to
feed their children, and except that everyone's circumstances are different.
I do not like to be criticised especially when discussing a different issue!

Old August 29th 04, 06:25 PM
Jeff

[...]

The only things that comes to mind is that she is not sleeping properly or
there are other stressors in the family. Someone already brought up apnea as
a cause of people (including kids) not sleeping properly.

I don't think anema would do this. Besides, if she has seen a few doctors, I
am sure she has been checked for this.

Although I could be wrong, I have a feeling her recent inprovement in her
tiredness is mostly coincidence with you giving her more iron in her diet.
If she were iron-decifient, it would take more than a few days for her to
start to be more energetic (although I have seen kids with a very low blood
cell count with more energy than I have at a camp for kids with cancer).

does
contain more nutrients especially so in milk-There are only a certain

amount
of nutrients a cow can produce in its milk, non-organic cows are over

milked
resulting in less nutrients per serving. Not to mention that non-organic
cows are feed on an un-natural diet of animal offal rather than grass as
organic cows are. The cows have difficulty in digesting the meat, and any
undigested meat is turned into mucus and excreted via the udders resulting
in a mucus content as high as 30% compared with 5% found in organic milk!

Any undigested meat would come out in cow poop.

I would like to see the studies that back this up.

There has also never been a case of mad cow disease reported in organic
cows.(resulting in BSE) And of course the traces of artificial pesticides
and fertilisers found on non organic food!

While I agree that cows should not be served animal parts (especially
brains), I don't agree that organic food, in general, is any better than
other food.

Organic farmers aim to-
*Preserve the countryside not pollute it.
*Recycle rather than deplete resources.
*Build fertility in the soil through crop rotation rather than by adding
synthetic nitrogenous fertilizers.
*Controls pests with mechanical means and natural predators rather than
using chemical pesticides.
*Protects wildlife living on their land in order to encourage biological
diversity.
I think that most people would consider this a benefit!

How often do they reach their aims?

With GM and using pesticides and fertilizers, you can also use fewer acres
(or hectares) of land to make the same amount of food.

You have to balance the costs of using pesticides and fertilizers with the
cost of using additional acres of land.

I don't think organic foods are necessarily any better. Part of this is the
whole back to nature thing. But people would be better off eating less food
(no matter what kind) and getting more excercise and not doing anything
stupid (like smoking). The whole idea that there is an easy fix or something
called "organic" is necessarily good is stupid to me. But it is good
marketing.

And yes it does cost more and unfortunately this means that some people

may
not be able to use it or use it all the time, but this is due to the extra
farm staff witch are employed to produce organic foods, the extra waste
produce, and the fact that animals require larger fields and more humane
conditions, are feed the foods witch they would naturally eat, and are not
routinely injected with hormones and antibiotics ( witch many doctors have
suggested could explain the growing resistance to antibiotics in humans.)

Kind of makes are arguement not to eat meat at all, doesn't it? Or at least
cut down on how much you eat.

I totally agree that animals should not be given antibiotics (unless they
are sick), because of the increase of resistance to antibiotics by bacteria
in humans, although overuse of antibiotics in humans is another cause. (Cows
get it in their feed, not by injection. I think the hormones they get by
injection.)

Although I do not like to preach, and respect everyone's decision on what

feed their children, and except that everyone's circumstances are

different.
I do not like to be criticised especially when discussing a different

issue!

I respect everyone's decision on what to feed their children, even if
different from mine.

Jeff

Old September 4th 04, 04:42 PM
Gemma Nicholls

I just wanted to write to say thanks for your reply.

I have taken her to visit the doctor, and she is due to have a blood test
later this week to cheak for aneamia and a few other things.

I will mention sleep apnea to him when I see him for the results as it
sounds possable and he has not mentioned this as a possible cause.

Once again thanks for your reply.

Gemma