Do I tell?

Old July 17th 04, 10:10 PM
Tiffany

Default Do I tell?

Well, I just found out that S's father died from an overdose of cocaine and
menth.
..

Though it does not surprise me, I know this information can be pretty hard
on S. Part of me wants to hide it from her but I don't like the idea of
secrets. Part of me knows that this can be a BIG deterrent from her ever
doing drugs, when she comes to that part of her teenage years.

So I know I always get advice that helps me think things through, (whether I
agree totally or not) and I am sending out the advice call again.

Thanks guys/gals.

Old July 17th 04, 10:28 PM
lm

On Sat, 17 Jul 2004 17:10:47 -0400, "Tiffany"
wrote:

Well, I just found out that S's father died from an overdose of cocaine and
menth.

No way. She doesn't need to know. Unless she's been walking around
saying "do you really think it was a heart attack?" then why add to
her burden?

Though it does not surprise me, I know this information can be pretty hard
on S. Part of me wants to hide it from her but I don't like the idea of
secrets.

Santa Claus, everything will be ok, your dad died of a heart attack,
I'll always take care of you. None are true.

Sometimes the hard truth doesn't have to be shared. It's not as though
his death under any circumstances wasn't hastened by his lifestyle.
Keeping the ugly details to yourself doesn't mean you're lying to her.

Part of me knows that this can be a BIG deterrent from her ever
doing drugs, when she comes to that part of her teenage years.

And it could also be a big way for her to try to identify with him, if
she ends up headed in that direction.

So I know I always get advice that helps me think things through, (whether I
agree totally or not) and I am sending out the advice call again.

Thanks guys/gals.

I do not envy your position, T.

lm
Old July 17th 04, 10:58 PM
Tiffany

wrote:

Well, I just found out that S's father died from an overdose of cocaine

and
menth.

No way. She doesn't need to know. Unless she's been walking around
saying "do you really think it was a heart attack?" then why add to
her burden?

Well, we pretty much knew it wasn't a heart attack. That would have showed
up in the altopsy and then the toxicology report wouldn't have been so
important, or necessary for that matter.

Though it does not surprise me, I know this information can be pretty

hard
on S. Part of me wants to hide it from her but I don't like the idea of
secrets.

Santa Claus, everything will be ok, your dad died of a heart attack,
I'll always take care of you. None are true.

I still don't lie about Santa Claus though! lol Well, sometimes, but just
to be funny. You don't think everything will be ok? I do. And I don't tell
her I will always take care of her. I tell her I will do what I can for as
long as I can or choice too.

Sometimes the hard truth doesn't have to be shared. It's not as though
his death under any circumstances wasn't hastened by his lifestyle.
Keeping the ugly details to yourself doesn't mean you're lying to her.

If she does ask.... Mom... why did he die? Did they ever find out? I will
have to lie then if I don't tell her the truth. I also worry because in the
end, truths are uncovered. Skeletons stay hidden only so long. Do I want to
be the one she comes back to and asks why I didn't tell her the truth?

Part of me knows that this can be a BIG deterrent from her ever
doing drugs, when she comes to that part of her teenage years.

And it could also be a big way for her to try to identify with him, if
she ends up headed in that direction.

True... those are the things I think I am going to talk to a pro about.

So I know I always get advice that helps me think things through,

(whether I
agree totally or not) and I am sending out the advice call again.

Thanks guys/gals.

I do not envy your position, T.

lm

Me either. Thanks for the input. All input is welcome.

Old July 17th 04, 11:55 PM
Moon Shyne

wrote:

[...]

If she comes out and asks, then I'd tell her the truth, if it were me - she's
old enough to understand, and will have signalled her desire for truthful
information by asking.

My former stepson died from a one car, alcohol induced car accident - and while
I didn't hammer to my kids how he died, when they asked, I told them the truth -
he had too much to drink, lost control of the car and as a result died. They
handled it pretty well, and the older one has come back to me and thanked me for
telling her the truth.

Part of me knows that this can be a BIG deterrent from her ever
doing drugs, when she comes to that part of her teenage years.

And it could also be a big way for her to try to identify with him, if
she ends up headed in that direction.

True... those are the things I think I am going to talk to a pro about.

If your daughter is currently in counselling, then perhaps talk to her therapist
and get some feedback, and probably some suggestions, as to how to handle it
when the question finally comes up (and it probably will)

Old July 18th 04, 12:12 AM
Joelle

If she does ask.... Mom... why did he die? Did they ever find out? I will
have to lie then if I don't tell her the truth. I also worry because in the
end, truths are uncovered. Skeletons stay hidden only so long. Do I want to
be the one she comes back to and asks why I didn't tell her the truth?

This is a hard call and it sounds to me like you do want to tell her, but first
ask yourself what the benefit is to HER, not you. Yes, it will be a burden to
you to keep it and to lie, yes it will be uncomfortable to explain it to her if
she finds out later, but that's the advantage to YOU to tell her. What
advantage is it to her?

I know these days there seems to be some kind of philosophy that children have
a right to know everything there is to know about their parents. I don't
agree.

I can't see any benefit to her to know, (I agree that the deterent effect is
iffy at best) other than some kind of esoteric idea that "it's the truth" which
I still think is more about making you feel better than her.

If you decide there is no benefit and don't tell her and she finds out later
and asks you why you can honestly tell her the truth - you saw no benefit to
her for her to know at the time.

Also there's no hurry. If you think she needs to know at some point, she
doesn't necesarily need to know now.

But it's a hard call. Honestly don't know what I'd do.

Joelle
The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page - St
Augustine
Joelle
Old July 18th 04, 12:36 AM
Tiffany

"Joelle" wrote in message
[...]

I am diffently going to sit on this for a bit and think it out. Luckily I
know that his family will respect my wish for her not to know at this point.
How upsetting for them, to find this out. I feel so bad for them. His father
isn't going to tell anyone, other then me, his ex-wife and the brother. And
the girlfriend too of course. I guess it is shameful (???) and embarrassing.
I think no matter how you want to keep it a secret it will get out.

Old July 18th 04, 12:59 PM
Tiffany

.

Though it does not surprise me, I know this information can be pretty

hard
on S. Part of me wants to hide it from her but I don't like the idea of
secrets. Part of me knows that this can be a BIG deterrent from her ever
doing drugs, when she comes to that part of her teenage years.

So I know I always get advice that helps me think things through,

(whether I
agree totally or not) and I am sending out the advice call again.

Thanks guys/gals.

Sure wish I had some good advice for you but I'm still waiting out the
repercussions of having told my children that their father died from
taking an overdose of pain medicines. I might have the answer in 10
years.... any idea if that's within your time frame for holding off?
Hmmm.. probably not.

I hadn't realized he died that way. Was the overdose intentional? Sometimes
people taking pain medicines become accustom to the drug and need more to
get any relief. Before they know it, they have taken way to many. I didn't
mean to bring this up if you don't want to talk about it, ignore it. S's dad
was in chronic pain and on meds.

The thing is... S's father didn't mean to die. It was not
intentional. He made a mistake. His drug use got out of hand.

I have to wonder a bit about that. I don't know how easy it is to over-dose
on those drugs..... I guess it is easy, as you buy from someone and you
don't really know the potency of the drug and whatnot. Plus the body can
only take so much so with pain meds, illegal drugs.... yeah, it will only
last so long. But with everyone swearing up and down that he was clean, part
of me wonders if he was just tired of the pain, he knew he was to lose a leg
within the year, he had another baby coming...... I guess I will always
wonder. Then I wonder if S is wondering if he killed himself. All this
wondering.

He contacted her and fully meant to maintain that contact... but as
you suspected (and this confirms) he was using. Your instincts were
right. You questioned his ability to have a good relationship with
your daugther because of what you saw in his emails. Your instincts
were right. Let your instincts tell you what to do now. You know
your daughter better than anyone else.

'Kate

Blah to instincts! I believe the best thing is to hold off a bit, there
is no hurry. Soon she will be into a grief program here, but they won't take
her until 6 months after the deaths. I will be able to talk to them, I will
talk to someone at the local NA and get some advice there too.

Thanks.

Old July 18th 04, 01:50 PM

"Tiffany" wrote in message
Well, I just found out that S's father died from an overdose of cocaine and
menth.
.

Though it does not surprise me, I know this information can be pretty hard
on S. Part of me wants to hide it from her but I don't like the idea of
secrets. Part of me knows that this can be a BIG deterrent from her ever
doing drugs, when she comes to that part of her teenage years.

So I know I always get advice that helps me think things through, (whether I
agree totally or not) and I am sending out the advice call again.

Thanks guys/gals.

I would.
I would also seek counseling for her as well to deal with this news and also
the death, etc..

Old July 18th 04, 03:28 PM
Purchgdss

Well, I just found out that S's father died from an overdose of cocaine and
menth.
.

Though it does not surprise me, I know this information can be pretty hard
on S. Part of me wants to hide it from her but I don't like the idea of
secrets. Part of me knows that this can be a BIG deterrent from her ever
doing drugs, when she comes to that part of her teenage years.

So I know I always get advice that helps me think things through, (whether I
agree totally or not) and I am sending out the advice call again.

Thanks guys/gals.

It will be less of a deterrent than you think. Don't forget they are 10 ft
tall and bulletproof. She wasn't close to her dad from what you have said and
may adopt the "yeah, but he's an asshole, I'm not so it wont get ME" attitude.

I see this in my own son. His dad took it upon himself to tell him about his
addictions, their contribution to his not being there, his suicide attempts,
etc. THANKFULLY the only thing he didn't tell him about was that he contracted
AIDS.

His dad is a long term survivor (well over 10 years now since diagnosed thanks
to medications and 5 years after that getting clean and sober and staying that
way).

My son is not involved with his dad, by his dad's choice. Even with a
frightening illness like that I would never deny my son knowing him.

Will this induce my son to wear a condom if he has premarital sex? I can only
pray....... He will be 15 this year, and I have the task of telling him about
his dad's illness because he is of age to become sexually active.

Only time will tell if he avoids the drugs and drinking part of his youth. I
see the bulletproof part of his personality and pray.

Just my 2 cents.........
Christine
Old July 18th 04, 03:37 PM
Tiffany

"Purchgdss" wrote in message
[...]

Ahh, how true. 'That won't happen to ME!"

What does your son think of his father's addictions, that he isn't a part of
his life, ect? To bad the father can't tell him about his AID's and how it
has effected his life. It could be an eye opener. Most people don't realize
just how much AID's can effect your life unless you see it happening. Of
course with the meds, even it isn't sounding as bad as it use to.

Your son is 15? Have the talk.