Baby has flu

Old November 30th 03, 06:28 PM
Nina

Default Baby has flu

Its been running wild here in Colorado, I noticed she was hot and took her
in. So we spent the entire night in the ER, me and the other 2 kids, they
had to sleep in chairs and wherever. Came home for a few, went back to
hospital (she was admitted around 6 am). Gotta go back later, she'll be
there at least till tomorrow.
*sigh*

Old November 30th 03, 08:17 PM
Sara

Nina wrote:

Its been running wild here in Colorado, I noticed she was hot and took her
in. So we spent the entire night in the ER, me and the other 2 kids, they
had to sleep in chairs and wherever. Came home for a few, went back to
hospital (she was admitted around 6 am). Gotta go back later, she'll be
there at least till tomorrow.
*sigh*

Oh dear! I hope she's better soon. Best wishes to all of you.

--
Sara, accompanied by the baby barnacle

Old December 1st 03, 05:44 AM
Nevermind

"Nina" wrote in message ...
Its been running wild here in Colorado, I noticed she was hot and took her
in. So we spent the entire night in the ER, me and the other 2 kids, they
had to sleep in chairs and wherever. Came home for a few, went back to
hospital (she was admitted around 6 am). Gotta go back later, she'll be
there at least till tomorrow.
*sigh*

Awful! I hope she is perfectly well soon, and that none of the rest of
you get it.

Can I ask what got you sent to the ER? Was it concern over her
breathing, if she had bad cold symptoms? Or was it a high fever? Just
curious, as all 3 of my kids have been having off-and-on symptoms of
what I think are two separate viruses (one, a fever and headache; the
other, an awful cough and feeling unwell) for 3 weeks now, and I have
sometimes wondered if this or that symptom would get us sent to an ER
for my 11 MO. I particularly don't like some of the coughing she has
been doing. . .
Old December 1st 03, 02:16 PM
Nina

"Nevermind" wrote in message
om...
"Nina" wrote in message

[...]

Well, we have a startling number of kids dying here from the flu, so I have
been VIGILANT (in other words, "paranoid").
She was a little quiet on Saturday but nothing very unusual. She felt a
LITTLE warm at 7 pm but not enough that I took her temperature. Then at 11
she seemed warm and had been sleeping more than usual, so I took her temp
and she had a fever. Honestly, if I hadnt been loking for it, I probably
wouldnt have caught it for another 2 hours because she had no other
symptoms.
I'd take the 11 month old,. sometimes they develop pneumonia after the flu.
Mine is on IV fluids and antibiotics no.

Old December 6th 03, 10:14 AM
Jenrose

"Nina" wrote in message

Well, we have a startling number of kids dying here from the flu, so I

have
been VIGILANT (in other words, "paranoid").
She was a little quiet on Saturday but nothing very unusual. She felt a
LITTLE warm at 7 pm but not enough that I took her temperature. Then at 11
she seemed warm and had been sleeping more than usual, so I took her temp
and she had a fever. Honestly, if I hadnt been loking for it, I probably
wouldnt have caught it for another 2 hours because she had no other
symptoms.
I'd take the 11 month old,. sometimes they develop pneumonia after the

flu.
Mine is on IV fluids and antibiotics no.

I just can't imagine taking a kid into the hospital that quickly without
serious complications already being in place. For me, the last place I want
to put a sick kid is the dr. office or hospital because I am paranoid about
secondary infections. Then again, I don't know of kids around here dying of
the flu. Getting sick from it, yes.

I know of one little girl (5y) who died of tylenol poisoning becuase she was
feverish with the flu and was on tylenol (normal kid doses) for six days
straight... It tends to make me more afraid of treatment than of the
disease!

Jenrose

Old December 6th 03, 10:32 AM
Nina

"Jenrose" wrote in message
s.com...

"Nina" wrote in message

[...]

They hav been dying over here. We had 2 deaths in the city, not sure how
many in the state. Because of her age and the fever they had to do ALL the
tests to rule out meningitis, pneumonia etc. She was positive for Flu, so
they rehydrated her and gave her antibiotics to help fight off secondary
infections. Since the people who gave her the flu were in the house, she was
probably safer in the hospital in her own room, than here with these
coughing kids.

I know of one little girl (5y) who died of tylenol poisoning becuase she

was
feverish with the flu and was on tylenol (normal kid doses) for six days
straight... It tends to make me more afraid of treatment than of the
disease!

Yikes! We were given tylenol and motrin and told to alternate. Fever isnt a
killer, so I'd be inclined to use other methods after a few days.
Fortunately, he fever was gone the day after she came home.

Old December 6th 03, 10:49 PM
Phoebe & Allyson

Jenrose wrote:

I just can't imagine taking a kid into the hospital that quickly without
serious complications already being in place.

The flu-related article in the paper here this morning said
that anyone who comes to the emergency room with flu
symptoms is getting a "real" workup (temp, BP, pulse-ox),
because they've had cases of kids going from "feverish but
otherwise apparently well" to "needs to be put on a
respirator immediately" in a matter of hours. They're also
quarantining anyone with flu symptoms to prevent the rest of
the waiting room from getting it.

I'd take a baby to the doctor or after-hours clinic (or the
hospital if neither were available) if I suspected the flu.
If you catch it soon enough, and the baby is old enough
for anti-virals, they can keep it from getting as bad. If
it were me, I'd just stay home and tough it out.

Phoebe
--
yahoo address is unread - substitute mailbolt

Old December 7th 03, 12:37 AM
Nina

We had the works, even a spinal tap. They cant take the chance of having any
more kids die. I caught my daughters symptoms almost immediately so she
didnt have too much time to get sick. She still has a cough and is fussy,
but no secondary infectiins so far.