Bereavement

Old February 22nd 07, 11:28 AM posted to alt.support.single-parents,alt.usenet.legends.lester-mosley
Lester Mosley

Default crossposting was: Bereavement

Ah, yes. Humor.- Hide quoted text -

I think you mean humour right?

Old February 22nd 07, 11:32 AM posted to alt.support.single-parents,alt.usenet.legends.lester-mosley
Lester Mosley

On Feb 20, 7:48 pm, marika wrote:
On Mon, 19 Feb 2007 19:59:28 -0500, 'Kate wrote:
On Mon, 19 Feb 2007 20:52:35 GMT, marika
wrote:

On Mon, 19 Feb 2007 15:30:06 -0500, 'Kate wrote:

If I may ask, why do you crosspost to alt.support.single-parents from
other groups?

'Kate

i don't crosspost to other groups. I xpost to one group, one is
singular.

the xpost is to a group that has interest in the stuff here too.

sharing -- a good thing

--

The replies to several crossposted messages are only from
alt.usenet.legends.lester-mosley. Perhaps there is less interest in

are you trying to troll me?

while i won't say I have evidence to the contrary, i don't think that
there's any real correlation between # of posts to level of interest. Not
everyone is an inveterate researcher and writer and reporter.
discussions posted from assp people are pretty low, but that doesn't mean
they aren't interested in reading posts that are crossposted here. I for
one was and finally decided to post something here because it so quiet
here. apparently no one ever watched carnivale here, but if they did they
would have noticed the amount of single parent characters there are in
it. It was an interesting place for people to get support from to deal
with the social stigma once attached to single parenthood. o well, i
guess it was all in vain to even try a discussion.- Hide quoted text -

Are Gypsys really good parents? This is a good topic for Montel.
then we can drag them to Maury and see who the father is.

Old February 23rd 07, 01:16 AM posted to alt.support.single-parents,alt.usenet.legends.lester-mosley
marika

wrote:

[...]

to begin with, they were carnies and freaks/geeks, which isn't the same
thing as Gypsies. vs. gypsies.

that strikes me as a bit judgmental in any event.

why wouldn't they be good parents

sure Hitler wanted to exterminate them but that was because they didn't
raise their children in a mainstream way, what is "good" anyway

This is a good topic for Montel.
then we can drag them to Maury and see who the father is.

Have you considered going to a doctor?

--

"An opinion with opinioned reasoning. Not much to go on."--john

Old February 24th 07, 01:27 AM posted to alt.support.single-parents,alt.usenet.legends.lester-mosley
marika

Default Bereavement

On Thu, 22 Feb 2007 05:28:55 -0500, Lester Mosley
wrote:

Ah, yes. Humor.- Hide quoted text -

I think you mean humour right?

I hope you guys will find this as incredibly fascinating as I did. Puts a
whole new perspective on making television, among other things . . .

Israeli-Palestinian Battles Intrude on 'Sesame Street'

By JULIE SALAMON

Ramallah. Gaza. Jerusalem. Hebron.

These are the familiar battlegrounds of the
Israeli-Palestinian conflict. Now another location has come
under siege on the map of desperate contention, a place
where the sky is always supposed to be sunny, the air meant
to be sweet, and everything is supposed to be A-O.K.:
Sesame Street.

Four years ago that children's television show began
broadcasting an Israeli-Palestinian co-production,
conceived in the afterglow of the 1993 Oslo accords. The
collaboration produced 70 half-hour shows, each one
containing Hebrew and Arabic segments that were broadcast
to receptive audiences. But under a new co-production
agreement, which now includes Jordanians, the project has
run into difficulty.

The name "Sesame Street" has been changed to "Sesame
Stories" because the concept of a place where people and
puppets from those three groups can mingle freely has
become untenable.

The original shows were built around the notion that
Israeli and Palestinian children (as well as puppets) might
become friends. Now, reflecting the somber mood in the
Middle East, producers see their best hope as helping
children to humanize their historic enemies through
separate but parallel stories.

"We've realized that a goal of friendship was beyond
realism, given where things are now," said Charlotte Cole,
vice president of international research for the Sesame
Workshop (formerly the Children's Television Workshop) in
New York.

Other problems involve practicalities. Palestinians no
longer go to Tel Aviv to work on the shows as before. The
creative back and forth - taking place in meetings near
London and in New York and by telephone and e-mail messages
- has an eggshell fragility. The utterance of every Muppet
is potentially inflammatory.

The participants cannot agree on when or even if the
completed episodes should be broadcast. The Israelis want
to show them as soon as they are finished, probably early
next year. "We have to find a way to tackle the harsh
reality with children, because the grown-ups aren't
managing very well to resolve it," said Alona Abt, the
Israeli executive producer.

But her Palestinian counterparts say it would be pointless
to broadcast a series promoting tolerance until a peace
agreement is signed. "Children in Palestine today will not
appreciate, understand, absorb and react in a positive way
to the goals we want to accomplish," said Daoud Kuttab, the
Palestinian executive producer, whose studio at the public
television station in Ramallah, the West Bank town, was
damaged by Israeli soldiers. "You're telling them to be
tolerant to Israelis when Israeli tanks are outside their
homes."

Yet the production process has kept going, with a sometimes
surreal mixture of good will and apprehension. "In the
current climate we can only try to humanize and demystify,"
Dr. Cole said, "to see that other people play in a
playground or that they enjoy being with their
grandparents. Once you have that level of humanity it's so
much harder to hate."

The project has eight underwriters, all American except for
the European Union and the Canadian Kahanoff Foundation,
and they have raised $6 million of the $7 million needed to
complete 26 shows from each of the three partners. The lead
donor is the Charles H. Revson Foundation.

Travel logistics have become harrowing since Sept. 11 for
many of the participants, making them anxious about flying
or leaving home. They are constantly on the telephone and
sending e-mail messages to discuss plot lines and
characters. Recently writers and producers from Israel,
Jordan and Palestine gathered at the Sesame Workshop
offices in Manhattan to brainstorm. At one face-to-face
meeting there, people from the different teams were
laughing at one another's jokes during a conference.

During a lunch break, Jill Gluckson, the supervising
producer from Sesame Workshop, nodded toward two Israelis
chatting amiably with a Jordanian writer. "This is a
roomful of people who desperately want their children to
have a different experience," she said. "We could all walk
away from this, but then what hope is there?"

Quixotic? Undeniably, especially in a part of the world
where many people consider finding humanity in one's
enemies a traitorous idea. But, Dr. Cole asked: "What's the
alternative? To risk nothing?"

Even the first Israeli-Palestinian venture, begun in more
hopeful times, required much negotiating, most
significantly about the circumstances under which Kipi and
Dafi, an Israeli porcupine and monster respectively, would
meet Karim and Haneen, a Palestinian rooster and monster.
The Israeli puppets could not simply appear in Palestinian
territory - too reminiscent of Israeli settlers. They had
to be invited.

Then as now, the participants had practical as well as
idealistic motives. For the Palestinians, whose television
industry is quite new, the "Sesame" shows have offered an
unusual opportunity to learn animation, puppetry and other
production skills from the experts at Sesame Workshop. (The
Israelis have had their own Hebrew-language version of
"Sesame Street," "Rechov Sumsum," since 1982.)

But idealism is an undeniable factor. In an e-mail
interview from Amman, Khaled Haddad, the Jordanian
executive producer, said he became involved in the current
project because he and his wife were expecting a baby. "I
wanted to do something to contribute to peace in this
region," he wrote.

Shari Rosenfeld, project director from Sesame Workshop in
New York, is an American who has lived in Israel. During
the height of the first Palestinian uprising, or intifada,
in 1991, while driving in East Jerusalem, she and her
18-month-old son were hit by stones. The boy was covered in
blood and broken glass. For Ms. Rosenfeld, who has worked
on both co-productions, the project began as a way to
overcome what she calls her "own stereotypes."

In 1996 she moved with her family to Israel, where she
worked with Palestinians on educational materials related
to the first joint production. Despite violence in the
Middle East, the initial hopefulness carried them through.
The shows, called "Rechov SumSum/Shara'a Simsim," which are
still being broadcast in Israel, were popular with Israeli
and Palestinian children. Research indicated that children
who watched them had softened initially hostile attitudes
toward the other group, though more significantly among the
Israelis.

Yet it was clear after the current intifada began, in
September 2000, that the old model was not going to work.
There could be no neutral street on which Israeli and
Palestinian puppets would find themselves.

In the "Sesame Stories" format each of the three
participants is producing three or four animated stories
meant to illustrate literature and folklore from the region
while also carrying messages of respect and understanding.
These stories, 13 in all, would be mixed into the separate
shows (with the usual "Sesame Street" staples like literacy
and numbers) to be shown on Israeli, Palestinian and
Jordanian stations. None of the animated stories are likely
to deal with political issues head on.

In one Palestinian story, "The Rose," a girl in a refugee
camp finds a discarded can on the street and is inspired to
plant something in it. Despite naysayers, who tell her you
can't grow something in a refugee camp, she waters and
nurtures the plant, inspiring others to gather discarded
materials to plant a garden.

At a production meeting, Israelis objected, not to the
story's themes of child empowerment and recycling, but to
the image of a child picking up a can on the street. "Our
children have been taught not to pick up stray objects,"
one of them explained. "It could be a bomb." After
brainstorming with Palestinian and Jordanian partners, the
story was changed to make the container a clear water
bottle and to show a child taping the rough edges with the
help of an adult.

Jordanians objected to an Israeli story that featured an
owl as a protagonist because, they said, in Arab cultures,
owls are bad luck.

"I don't think we have any illusions that this project is
going to bring peace to the region," Ms. Rosenfeld, who now
lives in New York, said in an interview. "Here we are, the
day after the worst suicide bombing in Jerusalem and we
have our Israeli team here, our Jordanian team arriving
tomorrow, a Palestinian writer coming on Saturday. Do they
know if this project will make a difference? They don't
know. But they're still engaged."

http://www.nytimes.com/2002/07/30/ar...ex=1032455504&
ei=1&en=aa32c50e01937e8b