Child support modification in Texas

Old July 14th 03, 10:05 AM
Mel Gamble

Default Child support modification in Texas

Well now....THERE'S a non-answer for ya....

Although it should be obvious to any sane adult with moderate
intelligence, I will point it out anyway - there is a huge difference.

A person that willingly gives up something that would benefit them and
be entirely legal in the eyes of the law does merit much more thought
and consideration than a person that willing gives up something that
would benefit them that was entirely illegal in the eyes of the law.

Did I miss whoever was mentioning "illegal" bennies?????

You really need to come up with a better example if you want to get
your point across.

Or a brighter audience...

I have willingly agreed that the state guidelines are high on child
support by taking far less from my EX for the past 10 years, and I am
asking for an increase that would still be quite a bit less that the
state guidelines. With that in mind, why am I constantly reminded and
blamed for the state guidelines being high?

You are not. You are blamed for wanting more without justification for having
it. You are blamed for wanting more for no other reason than the fact that he
has it.

I have made a statement through my actions that child support
guidelines are high. I have shown consideration to my EX for the fact
that they are high by never demanding or attempting to get what the
state guidelines call for.

So your not going after the rib - you're still going after twice his earnings
(see example below). Why not go after just half of the difference between what
you spend directly on behalf of and because of the kids and what he spends
directly on behalf of and because of the kids? And give him an equal say in
what is spent in total?

Mel Gamble

(Mel Gamble) wrote in message

You're starting with BS numbers...you're reaching BS conclusions. What if

"the
law" said you could have $130K per year and one of his ribs each year?

Would
you still be telling us how kind you were by not taking an award that was

so
ridiculous in the first place.

Consider: I DID NOT sneak into your house and rob you last night...now

does
that prove what a nice guy I am or not? Shouldn't you be thanking me for

not
doing so?

Mel Gamble

Old July 14th 03, 10:06 AM
Mel Gamble

No, Batch, she just wants lots of credit for not doing it herself...

Mel Gamble

Hey dumb ****. It was once legal to own slaves and **** minors. Does that
mean you support that action anywhere its legal?

. com...

Old July 16th 03, 07:52 PM
Paul Fritz

Some people just wish to spent a dollar to get a dime........you have an
adult daughter and one that is 17, .........its about time you learn to
support yourself.

"Cathy" wrote in message
In Oct of 1987 my divorce became final.. I had two daughters ages 1 and 3

at
the time. My ex was bringing in an income in the mid 60K range.. I was
awarded 350.00 per month Child support.. after being divorced for two
years.. I started taking my ex back to court for non payment. (He felt we
only needed half the support).. he of course learned of my lawyer and paid
the arrears within two months. I was attempting several things other than
just getting the arrears.. I was trying to reopen the divorce set in

Houston
Texas and close it in Colorado.. ( I was entitled to file in Colorado

since
I had lived there for 6 months before our divorce was final.. I was young,
niave, and ignorant and had let him file since he wanted the divorce.. ) I
was also trying to modify the Child Support.. Since it was a such a low
amount and barely covered any expenses.. and I was also trying to get him

cover their medical expenses.. other than getting on some insurance..

where
I pay 500 per year per child deductible.. Well, after sinking around 5
grand.. and months of appointments I learn that a letter written by his
lawyer which contained anything but fact.. was pushed through the courts

as
being truth.. on this letter it stated I couldn't close it in Colorado

since
I didn't reside there til after the divorce.. I had failed to contact my
lawyer when I first received his lawyers appeal.. mainly since I had paid

my
lawyer a retainer and he was billing me for his time reviewing my file..
which contained phone bills, rent receipts, utility bills, and anything

else
showing proof of my residence during that 6 month pre divorce living
status.. I felt in some way he must have bought off my lawyer..

Now after being divorced from him 16 years.. I still recieve the same set
amount.. I can barely scrape together monies for the regular living.. and
can't afford attorney fees.. I also started to push to modify support 3
years ago.. with the Child Support Enforcement Center in Wyoming.. (which

is
my current residence state)... But even after 3 years.. the case sits with
no advancement..

So.. after reviewing a bit of history here.. Can anyone refer me to

someone
that could help me that won't cost me an arm and a leg.. as well as get

this
done quickly!!
I would appreciate any advice or helpfull hints as to where to turn now..

Oh.. I had also heard that he could be in arrears if it is modified and

they
could go back years ago with that amount.. is that correct??

Thanks..

"Leslie" wrote in message
om...
I have recently opened a case with the Texas Attorney Generals office
to request a review of the amount of child support my EX pays. It has
been 10 years since the original amount was set, and I know that my EX
makes at least twice as much as he did when it was set. He currently
pays $550 a month for two kids, which was based on $32k. I asked him
to voluntarily agree to an increase of $150, and I would file the
modification with the courts, but he refused. He admitted that I
could easily get more money from him, but said that he wouldn't do it,
I would have to take him to court. Which is why I am doing so.

I know that he makes at least $70-$75k a year now. According to the
guidelines after taxes for two kids, he could be forced to pay
$1000.00+ in child support. I don't know why he wouldn't agree to
paying $700?

I've filed all the paperwork, and have provided the AG's office with a
copy of the original divorce decree, and sent in an affidavit showing
payments that my EX has made directly to me (which is all over the
past 10 years). I've been told that I would receive a notice in the
mail of the court date when it is set.

So, I'm assuming my EX will be served papers to appear in court for a
child support review. I'm wondering how the AG's office handles it if
the other parent conveniently avoids being around or available for the
subpeona to be served? I'm sure that my EX will avoid being served,
just to prolong the time until he has to pay additional child support.
Has any other custodial parents been through this? How does the
Texas courts look at a child support increase when the non-custodial
avoided or prolonged the court hearing?

Any others that have been through a child support modification with
the Texas AG's office, please let me know how it has gone for you.

Thanks!

Old July 18th 03, 01:51 AM
Simpledog

No, you're not. And it takes 500 bucks per child per month, right?

"Leslie" wrote in message
om...
If I understand the process with the AG's office when reviewing child
support for a modification, my EX and I will have an opportunity to
have a meeting with an agent of the AG's office to negotiate an
increase. I will have the ability to accept less than the state
ordered amount.

I did try via several letters and conversations to talk to my EX about
an increase. He angrily refused to negotiate any increase what so
ever. His exact words were "I know you can get more money, but I
won't voluntarily give you one cent more, you will have to take me to
court". To which I replied, "I guess that is what I will have to do
then". I also told him "All I have to do is contact the AG's office,
and then they will take it from there". So he knows that it can be
done.

I guess there is still time that I could approach him once more. But
the other times that I approached him he refused to even consider it.
Contrary to popular belief, I'm not out to rob him blind.

"ND" wrote in message

Yes, I am forced to take him back to court to get him to contribute a
little more to his kids support. I do not intend on taking the entire
amount that I could get, but he will understand that he should have
taken the initial offer of an increase of $150.

How did you come up with $150 increase?

Once the Attorney General is involved in Texas they take control, you

have
very little say. They can take away your EX's drivers license and put

him
in jail if he falls behind in payments. They constantly harass the NCP

with
threatening letters. My brother-in-law recently lost his joband had to
move. He called the Texas Attorney Generals office and gave them his

new
address and wanted to set up new payments due to him being unemployed.

He
receives threatening letters every week saying they "found him" and they

are
taking him to court. Funny because he contacted them first. The

Attorney
General is only interested in how much money they can collect becasue it
makes him look good and increased their Federal revenue. I believe

they
take a percentage of what they collect.

Your best option is to sit down and talk with your EX again tell him you

are
going to contact the Attorney General and see if you can work something

out.
It is best for all involved to keep the case out of the courts hands,
especially over only $150. Tell him it is not ruining his life, because

the
courts won't leave him alone and no one deserves that.