her milk disappeared

Old July 8th 03, 01:00 AM
Marie

Default her milk disappeared

Since I've never had a baby sleep through the night I had wondered how the
milk supply worked out with a baby who did. Does the baby just nurse more
during the day? Or maybe it just eats more milk at a feeding.
Marie

Karen wrote in message ...
DD has been sleeping thru the night for weeks and my supply is just fine.

My
SIL claimed that her breast milk was the consistency of cottage cheese and

that
her Dr told her that it could be curdled, LOL. I guess she felt the need

make excuses................
Karen Ann
Mommy to:
Ashley 11-13-90
Meghan 3-10-97
Hayley "Chunky Monkey" 3-27-03

Old July 8th 03, 01:20 AM
CY

Yep - that's what I always say..."it's not too late..."
"ted" wrote in message
om...
I had lot of problems initially with DD's nipple confusion etc.. So I
couldn't bf her the first 10 days of her birth. I pumped for couple of
days initially and then gave up because of frustration/exhaustion due
to delivery etc. etc. I thought that was it for me. Then I went to the
ped for a visit and he told me to nurse her and said it's not too
late. Ofcourse this group is the real reason why I even wanted to bf.
Now we're nursing/pumping ever since (4 months).

My point is nothing bad happened even though I didn't either nurse or
pump for so long. So may be next time you can tell her that she still
has time.

Old July 8th 03, 02:39 AM
Karen

Dawn wrote:
People will use any excuse to stop doing something they didn't want to do
anyways, it seems.

How right you are, I would have respected her more for admitting that she was
having a difficult time or that bfing was not for her. Than for her using some
ludicrous excuse. She keeps pushing me to give DD cereal and supplement with
formula for my "convenience". My response is that she is not ready for cereal,
has been sleeping thru the night for weeks and that I would actually find
formula feeding inconvenient.

Karen Ann
Mommy to:
Ashley 11-13-90
Meghan 3-10-97
Hayley "Chunky Monkey" 3-27-03
Old July 8th 03, 03:41 AM
Dawn Lawson

Karen wrote:

Dawn wrote:
People will use any excuse to stop doing something they didn't want to do
anyways, it seems.

How right you are, I would have respected her more for admitting that she was
having a difficult time or that bfing was not for her. Than for her using some
ludicrous excuse. She keeps pushing me to give DD cereal and supplement with
formula for my "convenience". My response is that she is not ready for cereal,
has been sleeping thru the night for weeks and that I would actually find
formula feeding inconvenient.

MOST annoying. My cousin was big on this whole idea that bfding is inconvenient
and what's best for the kid be damned.
Guess it depends how p.o'd you are at her..... ;-) but maybe a comment like "well,
there's rarely a time when I begrudge my DD an hour of my time, especially when I
am sparing us both the far worse than inconvenient problems that early solids and
formula can cause."

I've flat out said to people, "you know, if you don't want to nurse, or don't have
that level of committment, then don't, but please don't try to tell me you *can't*
because there are very few highly predictable reasons why most women stop nursing,
and the rest doesn't wash with me."

I must be a lactavist in the making because I sometimes think that for at least the
first 6 weeks, ffding shouldn't even be an OPTION.

Dawn

Old July 8th 03, 04:29 AM
Truffles

Dawn Lawson wrote:

I must be a lactavist in the making because I sometimes think that for at least the
first 6 weeks, ffding shouldn't even be an OPTION.

You SUPER-LACTATOR, you!!!!!!!!! ;-)

--
Brigitte aa #2145
edd #3 February 15, 2004

~ Harriet Martineau

Old July 8th 03, 04:41 AM
Shannon G

SNIPPED

"you know, if you don't want to nurse, or don't have
that level of committment, then don't, but please don't try to tell me you

*can't*
because there are very few highly predictable reasons why most women stop

nursing,
and the rest doesn't wash with me."

I LOVE this :-)

Shannon

Old July 8th 03, 06:00 AM
Dawn Lawson

Truffles wrote:

Dawn Lawson wrote:

I must be a lactavist in the making because I sometimes think that for at least the
first 6 weeks, ffding shouldn't even be an OPTION.

You SUPER-LACTATOR, you!!!!!!!!! ;-)

*sometimes*, Brigitte, I said *sometimes* I feel that way. ;-)
Usually I just feel crushing scorn for someone who sometimes even before they get
pregnant has decided that bfding is too much bother and/or not worth it. I just don't
_get_ *planning* to ff.

I'm only barely ok with the idea that some babies need supplementing, cuz I think a lot
of people start that when the "normal" frets about supply start, when good advice might
reassure them. The trouble is that it seems quite frequently those people then a)
unlactate themselves, or b) carry on, with supplementing, and decide that what they did
is the only way, and recommend supplementation at the merest hint of supply concerns,
instead of offering good bfding advice first and foremost.

I honestly didn't expect to end up this way ;-)

Dawn
(And bless my DS for refusing a bottle utterly, since everyone and their cat was
suggesting I should give him a bottle at 2 or 3 days old and (of course) seemed hungry
because he was nursing a lot, because as my midwife said "once they have latched, you
can't get nipple confusion" - nevermind that I have inverted nipples and he *wasn't*
really latching very well. I made very few very half hearted attempts to get him to take
EBM from a bottle, since, thank goodness, I had a feeling it was lousy advice.)

D.

Old July 8th 03, 11:18 AM
Cheryl

On Mon, 7 Jul 2003 20:00:23 -0400, "Marie"
wrote:

Since I've never had a baby sleep through the night I had wondered how the
milk supply worked out with a baby who did. Does the baby just nurse more
during the day? Or maybe it just eats more milk at a feeding.

Of the 3 of mine, the only one that slept a long stretch at night by
3 months was also the one that snack nursed a lot through the day.
I'm not sure which is the cart and which is the donkey but I am
certainly not going to complain. It was never inconvenient for me
to have her latch on every hour or so while she was awake since I
was getting more sleep at night. Well, I would have if the terror
not-twins would sleep at night.....

--
Cheryl

DS#1 (Mar 99), DS#2 (Oct 00)
DD born 30 Jul 02

Old July 9th 03, 04:01 PM

"Marie" wrote in message
Since I've never had a baby sleep through the night I had wondered how the
milk supply worked out with a baby who did. Does the baby just nurse more
during the day? Or maybe it just eats more milk at a feeding.
Marie

my dd is 7 weeks old (nak). for the past 5 nights she has slept for at
least 7 hours (8 the last 2 nights). I wake up SOAKING wet! and engorged.
(looking forward to that ending, sometime soon?). all along, it has seemed
that she eats constantly, so I haven't really noticed a change there.
when she does wake up, she nurses hard and strong for ~10-15 minutes each
side and then sleeps for another 2 hours. after that, it seems like lots
of meals/snacks and naps for the rest of the day. A good long power nurse
from 7-9 pm, then she sleeps through the night. amazingly, most of the time
when she wakes up. her diaper is dry
Edith