Annoying eating habits

Old July 20th 03, 05:03 AM
Akuvikate

Default Annoying eating habits

My sweet wonderful 6 week old DD has picked up a few annoying eating
habits. I'm posting in hopes of getting some insight into either why
she does this, what to do about it, or both.

1. Towards the end of a feed, sometimes she'll start contorting and
twisting her whole body around while keeping my nipple in her suction
death grip. She seems to do this more on the right side than the
left. I usually either hold her head lightly in place with the
opposite hand (enough room for her to come off if she wants, but not
to yank me around) or when she seems like she's gearing up to start
this keep my finger at the ready to break her grip.

2. Lately she also likes to start with a good latch and then almost
immediately slide down to chaw on the end of my nipple. If it's a
really bad latch I kick her off and we start over; if it's a so-so
latch I may or may not kick her off depending on my mood.

3. Not an annoying habit, but a question -- with side-lying nursing,
how can you check their latch? Is it entirely by feel? I find I
can't see much from that angle.

4. While I'm at it -- I've tried nursing hands free "en sling" twice,
and managed to do so but at the price of streching my nipple well
beyond the comfort zone. I just can't seem to get my Maya Wrap high
enough to nurse her without pulling her feet through the rings.
Suggestions welcome.

Thanks much,

Kate
and Bug June 8 2003