Alaskan lawmaker seeks probe kin NOT allowed fostering

Old October 7th 04, 03:55 PM
Fern5827

Default Alaskan lawmaker seeks probe kin NOT allowed fostering

Subject: Lawmaker seeks adoption probe
From: (Fern5827)
Date: 10/7/2004 9:53 AM Eastern Daylight Time
Lil sent in:

"It appears that there were biological relatives of some, if not all, of the
children that were available and willing to adopt but their efforts were
blocked by the Department," he wrote.

Suzy Nickel in Washington state, who first posted on this NG around a year ago,
confirmed that kin were mysteriously SHUT OUT of fostering and adoption in
Washington.

She was so concerned that she formed an organization, and addressed WA's
Legislature.

Gilbertson responded that the department's internal reviews of
serious cases stay confidential.

The better to hide and conceal the facts, my dear......

That and the fact that under Federal Law, ASFA of 97 relatives are supposed to
given consideration.

Yeah.....really.........

Lil uncovered:

From:
(LilMtnCbn)
Date: 10/7/2004 9:30 AM Eastern Daylight Time
http://www.news-miner.com/Stories/0,...451773,00.html

Lawmaker seeks adoption probe

The Associated Press
ANCHORAGE--A state legislator wants to know why Patrick and Sherry Kelley
were
allowed to adopt five children they now are accused of abusing and
neglecting.

Rep. Norman Rokeberg, R-Anchorage, also is asking why the children's birth
relatives were passed over when the Kelleys were approved.

If the state Department of Health and Social Services does not thoroughly
investigate, Rokeberg will seek a legislative investigation, he said in a
letter to department Commissioner Joel Gilbertson.

"This is a black mark on the Department and the State, and I want to get to
the
bottom of the situation and correct whatever went wrong here so that other
children do not experience what has been reported that these children
suffered," Rokeberg wrote Sept. 24.

The Kelleys were arrested Sept. 13. They face 54 criminal charges of assault,
kidnapping, criminal nonsupport and reckless endangerment. Sherry Kelley's
parents, George and Shirley Long, the children's adoptive grandparents, also
face criminal counts, including assault.

The state placed the children with the Kelleys when they were licensed as
foster parents in Anchorage and later approved the adoptions. When Alaska
State
Troopers intervened in July, the family had moved to a compound between Big
Lake and Wasilla in the Matanuska-Susitna Borough.

The children then were ages 6, 10, 13, 14 and 15.

According to prosecutors, two boys were beaten and chained up. The complaints
also say the children went hungry, didn't go to school and slept in junk
vans.

Rokeberg said he was concerned with the process that placed the children with
the Kelleys.

"It appears that there were biological relatives of some, if not all, of the
children that were available and willing to adopt but their efforts were
blocked by the Department," he wrote.

Rokeberg told the Anchorage Daily News he had been contacted on the matter by
blood relative of the children.

Rokeberg said he wanted the department to issue a public report about what
happened. Gilbertson responded that the department's internal reviews of
serious cases stay confidential.

"The process is thorough and often takes several weeks," Gilbertson wrote
back
on Sept. 30. "A report including recommendations is shared only with the
Commissioner's Office so that the reviewers can feel free to take a critical
and honest look at the case and not feel inhibited in any way to make honest
and thorough recommendations."

Rokeberg said he still wanted the department to account for its actions
publicly.

"I think the gravity of this case requires there be more than just an
internal
review," he said.

State Rep. Ralph Samuels, R-Anchorage, chairman of the Legislative Budget and
Audit Committee, said he agreed with Rokeberg's approach.

-------------------------
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail . . . but, a true friend
will
be sitting next to you saying, "Damn . . . that was fun!"
-----Unknown

DESCRIPTORS; ALASKA, DYFS, DFYS, CPS, CHILD PROTECTIVE, KINSHIP CARE, KIN CARE,
ADOPTION AND SAFE FAMILIES ACT, WILLFUL MALFEASANCE, FAMILY LAW, ASFA, CAPTA,
DSHS,WASHINGTON

Old October 7th 04, 08:04 PM
kane

From:
(Fern5827)
Date: 10/7/2004 9:53 AM Eastern Daylight Time
[...]

We know how tickled you are by these, because they allow you to claim
the state is "covering up" something...and get away with it among the
ignorant.

Imagine, if the state upon turning down relatives revealed such things
as "they never came forward when we asked before..in fact turned us
down," or "Mr A has six warrants on drug charges pending service in
three states...and one for child molestation."

No, they cannot state why they turned someone down....no matter what.
And you can bet that anyone that makes these kind of claims and is NOT
willing to go to court to press their case has something to hide.

So they go public instead, pretending they were "ignored, passed over,
and boy are we going to sue now" but of course they never get around
to it because the state will bring the evidence I mentioned
above..and they won't get a sou.

But of course the public, friends and neighbors, and those reading the
news will still think CPS BAD, poor granny good. Because it still
won't be in the public record. CPS cases in civil court are NOT
subject to breaking confidentiality laws.

So YOU will take the legal sanctions that protect the miscreants
themselves and maliciously use it to fraudulently ... or you are a
sap and a sucker, a Sapsucker, for con jobs.

Didjah stop to ask yourself, where were these concerned relatives back
when the children first needed them? Nowhere to be found, that's
where, or dodging the family responsibility.

Fern, you are a silly twit.

Kane

From:
(LilMtnCbn)

Old October 7th 04, 10:44 PM
Fern5827

Suzy Nickel was and is an approved foster parent within Washington.

And even she was DISALLOWED TO FOSTER or take her own blood kin.

That's what got her moving and led her to address the Legislature about obvious
problem areas of DSHS.

Your beef should be with her---not I.

She has UNCOVERED WHAT DSHS hides. The *lost applications* mislaid, files from
family.

She had loads of folks in Washington working with her. And her model will
probably hold true in other states as well.

DSHS is plain wrong. And now even TX Juvie Parole officers confirm that DFPS
culture is toxic, retaliatory, and not just.

Kane attempts to sugar coat a very serious situation----kin not being able to
foster their OWN

From: (kane)
Date: 10/7/2004 3:04 PM Eastern Daylight Time
On 07 Oct 2004 14:55:13 GMT,

From:
(Fern5827)

Old October 8th 04, 03:52 AM
kane

On 07 Oct 2004 21:44:38 GMT, (Fern5827) wrote:

Suzy Nickel was and is an approved foster parent within Washington.

And even she was DISALLOWED TO FOSTER or take her own blood kin.

Then something is UP, right?

The fact she's a certified foster parent does not wash away all the
issues related to placing with kin. Some foster parents are considered
very bad candidates for adoption.......based on the needs of some
children. We don't know anything about this part of the picture.

We don't know if there is "Soap" going on, "One Kid To Split Up
Between the Battling Inlaws."

We don't know if her status has changed in any way. People that were
foster parents yesterday may not be today.

That's what got her moving and led her to address the Legislature

about obvious
problem areas of DSHS.

Good. If here story is true as related, and no important pieces are
being withheld, good for her. And if she isn't being totally
forthcoming....GOOD FOR HER TOO, because there is no reason a person
in this country can't pursue their goals, even if not up to my
standards. Mine are for me.

Your beef should be with her---not I.

No, I HAVE NO BEEF WITH HER, nor with any other relative attempting to
seek custody of a related child. I AM NOT THE JUDGE OF THEIR METHODS
OR MOTIVES.

But you, you putrid asshole, like to use unvalidated information such
as this from her to make vicious malicious claims...because you hate
that children are saved every day by CPS.

I don't know WHY you are so sick but you obviously are.

She has UNCOVERED WHAT DSHS hides. The *lost applications* mislaid,

files from
family.

We don't know that. We only know she says that....but YOU, asshole,
try to make hay with unsubstantiated claims.

When you have proof that will stand up in court, get back to me.

Until then you are simply an empty headed knownothing with some kind
of strange sick agenda going on.

She had loads of folks in Washington working with her. And her model

will
probably hold true in other states as well.

There are loads of relatives that have been turned down for perfectly
viable reasons....including risk to the children involved. YOU ****IN'
HATE CHILDREN or you wouldn't help peddle crap that may be true but is
unproven.

No if YOU are a relative, seeking a child related to you then YOU have
a beef coming. Until then you are just riding on other people's backs,
sucking their blood....even Susan's. She might think you are a help to
her but you are a major hinderance except to liars and propagandists.

DSHS is plain wrong. And now even TX Juvie Parole officers confirm

that DFPS
culture is toxic, retaliatory, and not just.

They didn't confirm...they claimed. There is a world of difference.
What court has declared this toxicity, relatiation, and unjustness?

It's just babble such as you do...at this point.

Kane attempts to sugar coat a very serious situation----kin not being

able to
foster their OWN

Have you ever noticed that sometimes you post something here that is
truly a terrible CPS story............and I say nothing, or "hang'em
high?" There is a reason for that. PROOF is there. It's usually after
a trial.

And since I'm an advocate for relatives that want to adopt and or
foster, I would hardly want to sugar coat their failure to obtain
custody....but what I do know is that of the thousands I have helped,
there were others, hundreds at least...I've lost count, that I would
NOT help when I smelled a rat and asked them to give me permission to
view the case records that pertained to them. And they refused.

I've been fooled, twice, never again. Some very dangerous people look
really really good, dress well, well spoken..while some folks that
dress like me in the garden, and are not well spoken or educated are
solid loving parents that can deliver what the child needs.

I've posted the litany before of all those things that "relatives"
have failed in....go back and look at them.

I have NO pity for folks that lie, that are dangerous, or are mixed up
in an inlaw battle....and my pet hate is the relative that will take
the white babies and refuse the babies of color and split sibling
groups.

I frankly don't give a **** what happens to them and I'll actively
work against them having any of the sibling group.

So, about Susan. We don't know who the children are. We don't really
know Susan's history. We don't know the interfamily dynamics. We don't
know if she is willing to commit to keeping children safe...like
keeping a boundary that the parents aren't allowed to cross.

That's a biggie many times when CPS turns down a relative.

You are as usual just peddling your ****.

Kane

From:
(kane)
Date: 10/7/2004 3:04 PM Eastern Daylight Time
On 07 Oct 2004 14:55:13 GMT,

From:
(Fern5827)

Old October 8th 04, 10:55 AM
Sherman

"kane" wrote in message
om...
[...]

The latest from the Alaskan front:
http://www.ktuu.com/CMS/anmviewer.asp?a=6540&z=4

The caseload is too high, not enough employees to go around. 2,000 kids a
DAY in the "system". 1-30 ratio in caseworker loads. Alaska has the
highest percentages of child abuse in the nation.

As for the kin issue, there may be some merit to this. DHS has had bias
towards kin care with their "apple doesn't fall far from the tree" attitude.
It is improving but it still has a long way to go. The biggest improvement
that I've seen is that there is more and stronger advocacy available to kin
who are "fit" to turn to for help.

In many jurisdictions, children in foster care are not even allowed
visitation with their grandparents and extended family, even when it is
court ordered. Folks who really want to make a difference can. They have
to DO, not talk empty words that are unhelpful or prattle.

With the workload that an overburdened caseworker has, it doesn't take too
many of the kin as you describe above to make them extra wary. I've had a
few myself who fooled me for awhile. As with your experience, when I've
requested more substantiation from the liars, I got attitude instead. And
more lies. It happens.

I don't receive any compensation for the work with kin and others that I do.
As a result, and including the experience with unfit kin who lied to me and
others in their cases, I'm very select anymore. It's difficult for me to
turn down anyone that needs help but I have to, there's only so much of me
to go around.

Gleaning the true facts of a case from a newspaper report does not make for
truth at all. It makes for reporting an event, a happening. Nothing more.

In the case of the abusive adoptive parents and grandparents, the fact that
they have been arrested is a clear indicator that something went terribly
wrong for these children.

What happened with kin placement is not known. What has been reported is
that one family member did come to visit the children in foster care and was
able to talk with the caregivers who wanted to adopt the children. They saw
them in their home which was in the Hillside area of Anchorage, a very nice
area and the children were removed from there to an entirely different area
unlike what he kin observed.

The children were evidently removed after adoption from an area with a
reputation for safety and quality schools to an area where there are pockets
of flat-out white trash. Then the adoptive parents removed the children
from schools and gave them zero educational opportunities.

It could easily be that this related person might have qualified to adopt
the children but made a decision, based upon the health and happiness of the
children that they personally observed that it would be in the kid's best
interests to remain where they were. That happens.

I would not be the littlest bit surprised if drugs were a factor in the
change in the circumstances of this family. I also would not be surprised
if the family was not screened sufficiently and was not capable of sustained
care of children who have, as they say: "issues".

Foster parents are rarely trained in coping with damaged kids. A child with
neurological deficits, one who has been sexually abused, one who has
learning disabilities and the Reactive Attachment Disorder that so many of
these kids have are difficult and taxing. Resources for help for them are
also rare to non-existent. It's hard. Real hard.

The abusive Alaska adoptees took all of the siblings in and we don't know
what any of the children's problems were when they came into care. What
their bio parents had done to them to lose their parental rights in a court
of law. One child in these circumstances might be too much for a parent,
let alone four.

There's enough blame in this case to go far and around all of those
involved. It began with the biological parents, however. Why did they no
longer have their own children in their care? And where were all of the
children's kin from birth to adoption?

Sherman.