what is a good breast pump

Old August 25th 03, 01:12 AM
Dawn Lawson

Default what is a good breast pump

Lori wrote:

Hi everyone
Can someone please tell me what a good breast pump would be.

Avent Isis for manuals
Medela's Pump in Style for electric.
You're likely going to hear that electric is far better for serious pumping
(ie, going back to work early)

DoNOT buy a pump from a company that makes baby formula (gerber, etc) as they
have NO reason to want pumping to work out for you!

Dawn

Old August 25th 03, 01:30 AM
Kereru

"Lori" wrote in message
Hi everyone
Can someone please tell me what a good breast pump would be. I will be
returning to work about 6 weeks after my baby is born. I was looking into
the Avent Isis pump. I need something that does not cost too much money.
Any suggestions would be great. My ability to pump is going to be crucial
on if im able to breastfeed (which I want to do more than anything).

Thank
you very much for your help.

Lori
Due with #2
12-18-03

I loved my Avent Isis. I only used it occasionally though I think maybe I
would go electric if I had to go back to work. Medela have a new manual one
that looks pretty much the same as the Isis. However it can be converted
into an electric if it's not enough for you. Check out their website,
medela.com I think it is.

Judy

Old August 25th 03, 02:41 AM
jake's mom

"Lori" wrote in message
Hi everyone
Can someone please tell me what a good breast pump would be. I will be
returning to work about 6 weeks after my baby is born. I was looking into
the Avent Isis pump. I need something that does not cost too much money.
Any suggestions would be great. My ability to pump is going to be crucial
on if im able to breastfeed (which I want to do more than anything).

Thank
you very much for your help.

Lori
Due with #2
12-18-03

I bought the Ameda "Purely Yours" on ebay. I just sterilized everything
when it came and got it for $86 total with s&h. I think if you're returning
to work that soon you might want to consider an electric pump.

Robin

Old August 25th 03, 03:05 AM
Shannon G

Hi everyone
Can someone please tell me what a good breast pump would be. I will be
returning to work about 6 weeks after my baby is born. I was looking into
the Avent Isis pump. I need something that does not cost too much money.
Any suggestions would be great. My ability to pump is going to be crucial
on if im able to breastfeed (which I want to do more than anything).

Thank
you very much for your help.

Lori
Due with #2
12-18-03

I have a Medela Pump In Style I bought new in 2000 for $279. It was well
worth it and paid for itself in 2-3 months as I never bought formula for
DS. Child #2, DD, is 9 months old and she also has never tasted formula
either. You may not *think* you have the money for a good electric pump but
compare it to the cost of formula!

Shannon

Old August 25th 03, 05:57 AM
Al Bell

"Lori" writes:

Hi everyone
Can someone please tell me what a good breast pump would be. I will be
returning to work about 6 weeks after my baby is born. I was looking into
the Avent Isis pump. I need something that does not cost too much money.
Any suggestions would be great. My ability to pump is going to be crucial
on if im able to breastfeed (which I want to do more than anything). Thank
you very much for your help.

I used a Medela Pump In Style before I went back to work, but I just
couldn't imagine using something so big and noisy at work. So, I've been
using an Isis twice a day at work for seven months. My supply has gone
done some in the past few weeks, but, up till now, the Isis seems to have
helped me maintain my supply at the usual mediocre level.

Old August 25th 03, 06:16 AM
Lori

Thank you all for the tips! I think I will start off with the Isis but plan
on getting something better when it gets closer to going back to work. I
had such a hard time with my first and did not breastfeed that although I am
very committed to breastfeeding this baby I have in the back of my mind what
if I cant and then I have this expensive pump.
.. .

Old August 25th 03, 08:15 AM
CY

In my experience with working moms, the Isis is not adequate enough to
stimulate your breasts for pumping in a full-time work schedule, and unless
you have over-supply (most women don't) you will probably find that your
milk dries up pretty quickly using a single maunal pump. Double electrics
are better because:

1) they stimulate both nipples at the same time therefore (in most cases)
providing more milk at each pumping
2) they are fast (20 minutes total, vs 40 minutes to do both breats with the
Isis)
3) they empty the breasts more completely than a manual therefore telling
your body to keep making milk. The less often you empty your breasts, the
less your body knows to make

Good choices are the Medela Pump In Style (DO NOT GET A USED ONE!!), the
Ameda Purely Yours, and I have heard good things about the Whisper Wear,
although if you can, try before you buy because it doesn't work well for all
moms. Renting a hospital grade pump is an even better choice as they have
VERY strong motors and are even better at emptying the breasts than the
others I mentioned.

Good luck!

CY

Old August 25th 03, 03:00 PM
Shannon

Ask around (pediatrician, OB, health plan, La Leche League) about renting a
hospital grade pump, like a Lactina by Medela. I kept one in my desk drawer
at work when I was pumping, and just brought the tubes and horns back and
forth from home. It was a very efficient pump, and worked really well.
Your insurance might even help pay for the rental fees.

-Shannon

Old August 25th 03, 06:01 PM
Andrea

I love my Medela Mini-Electric it cost me £40 in the UK and I found it for
$74.95 online.

--
Andrea mom of 5 - latest addition Kamron David 11 weeks old weighing 15
pounds 10 ozs.

Fave quote "Mother is the word for God on the lips and hearts of children"
from the film "The Crow".

Old August 25th 03, 07:12 PM
Kirsti Thomas

Can someone please tell me what a good breast pump would be. I will be
returning to work about 6 weeks after my baby is born. I was looking into
the Avent Isis pump. I need something that does not cost too much money.

I would recommend a double electric pump. You can get a used
Ameda/Hollister Purely Yours for $70-80 on ebay. This pump can be
safely used by more than one person, since any of the parts that milk
touches can be sterilized. Just boil the parts for 20 minutes and air
dry. Alternately, buy the pump and then buy new cones and flanges.
As someone else pointed out, formula will cost you more in the long
run than a double electric pump.

Pump rental costs about $30-50 a month, so you're probably better off
buying a used Purely Yours. I bought mine used off ebay from the
original owner and have been using it for almost a year and a half
with no problems.

--
kirsti

Opinions on breast pump--Medela manual? Jill Pregnancy 7 April 5th 04 12:40 PM
Why my baby? Attorneys trolling bad births - GOOD...UBPN silence - BAD... Todd Gastaldo Pregnancy 0 March 14th 04 11:13 PM
breast pump Betty Pregnancy 6 December 2nd 03 11:28 PM
Question about sling/attachment parenting (long, sorry) Vijay Pregnancy 23 November 11th 03 08:12 AM
wearable breast pump? Mary W. Breastfeeding 1 August 6th 03 07:48 AM