Breastfeeding as contraception?

Old August 31st 03, 04:12 AM
Lina

Default Breastfeeding as contraception?

How long (or) can you use breastfeeding as reliable contraception?
IIRC, it was 6 months as long as you're exclusively breastfeeding. Is that
correct?

--
Lina
Alena born July 1st, 2003

Old August 31st 03, 05:59 AM
iphigenia

Lina wrote:
How long (or) can you use breastfeeding as reliable contraception?
IIRC, it was 6 months as long as you're exclusively breastfeeding. Is
that correct?

6 months if you are exclusively breastfeeding, not using any bottles or
pacifiers, and are nursing at night.

--
iphigenia
www.tristyn.net

Old August 31st 03, 06:00 AM
Lina

"iphigenia" wrote in message
Lina wrote:
How long (or) can you use breastfeeding as reliable contraception?
IIRC, it was 6 months as long as you're exclusively breastfeeding. Is
that correct?

6 months if you are exclusively breastfeeding, not using any bottles or
pacifiers, and are nursing at night.

That's what I thought.
What are the chances of it not working though?
I'm planning to get an IUD, but it might be a little while (a.k.a. 1 month)
before I can get it put in.

Old August 31st 03, 09:06 AM
Kereru

"Lina" wrote in message
ble.rogers.com...
How long (or) can you use breastfeeding as reliable contraception?
IIRC, it was 6 months as long as you're exclusively breastfeeding. Is that
correct?

I've heard this advice too. I have had a friend who did all these things but
started her period early and since you ovulate before your period is due,
she could have become accidently pregnant.

If it were me and it was really important that I didn't get pregnant I'd
probably get some advice about natural family planning and take my
temperature as well just in case.

Judy

Old August 31st 03, 03:59 PM
iphigenia

Lara wrote:

And have not resumed menstruation.

Well, OK, I kinda figured that for a given ; )

But, yeah. If you're counting on the absence of periods induced by
menstruation for contraception, and you have resumed menstruation, it will
not work. Also, hot beverages are served hot.

Old August 31st 03, 04:02 PM
iphigenia

Herself wrote:

IIRC, in What to Expect, someone asked the same question...the answer
went along the lines of "Your friend is a little bit right, in the
same way that you can be a little bit pregnant".

WTE is, however, full of inaccurate information about breastfeeding.

I don't think anyone should use bf as contraception...there are plenty
of babies about 10 months apart :-)

LAM when used correctly is over 98% effective.

Old August 31st 03, 07:24 PM
Naomi Pardue

But, yeah. If you're counting on the absence of periods induced by
menstruation for contraception, and you have resumed menstruation, it will
not work. Also, hot beverages are served hot.

You'd be surprised. Every time this subject comes up, there tend to be a few
posts from people who say something like "Oh, but it doesn't really work
because I know someone who got pregnant while bfing at 8 months and she'd only
had two periods...."

Naomi
CAPPA Certified Lactation Educator

reply.)
Old August 31st 03, 07:28 PM
Naomi Pardue

I don't think anyone should use bf as contraception...there are plenty
of babies about 10 months apart :-)

Most of them born to mothers who are not bfing... (It is vanishing rare for a
nursing mother to ovulate within a month of giving birth.) However, BFing is
not a method of contraception anyway. LAM, is a method of contraception. (And
one that is 98% effective -- comparable to the pill or an IUD.)

Old August 31st 03, 07:30 PM
Michelle J. Haines

In article ,
says...

I've heard this advice too. I have had a friend who did all these things

That's nice.

And guess what, I have this friend, and she used birth control pills.
And she got pregnant!

And I have this other friend, and she used condoms, and she got
pregnant!

And this other lady I know, she had a tubal ligation, and she got
pregnant, too!

IOW, anecdotes are not data. The effectiveness rate for the first
six months is still 99%

started her period early and since you ovulate before your period is due,
she could have become accidently pregnant.

This isn't always true. Prior to six months, only about 30% of first
periods are preceded by an ovulation. Lower incidence of ovulation,
shorter luteal cycles, and generally lowered frequency of intercourse
all contribute to the low pregnancy rate.

If it were me and it was really important that I didn't get pregnant I'd
probably get some advice about natural family planning and take my
temperature as well just in case.

Temperatures don't generally do a ton of good during breastfeeding,
because they're all over the place. Northwest Family Services
suggests only following LAM rules for the first 12 weeks, and then
interpreting the charts by the mucus rules, with the breastfeeding
patch rule if needed, until return of menstruation or a thermal
shift.

Michelle
Flutist

--
In my heart. By my side.
Never apart. AP with Pride!
Old August 31st 03, 09:00 PM
Andrea

With babies 1-4 we had unprotected intercourse all the way through nursing.
We didn't mind another baby, but I didn't get pregnant. I was using bottles
and pacifiers too, and with my first baby my periods resumed a 28 day
cycle - the first one was 7 weeks after the birth.
This time now I have 5 children I know I don't want to try for a baby till
Kamron is at least 18 months old, and my periods have resumed.

My advice is everyone is different, so if you don't want a baby use other
protection.

--
Andrea mom of 5 - latest addition Kamron David 12 weeks old weighing 16
pounds.

ble.rogers.com...